SHOCK POLL: ROUNDS' LEAD DOWN TO 3%, PRESSLER SURGING SAYS SUSA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:56:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  SHOCK POLL: ROUNDS' LEAD DOWN TO 3%, PRESSLER SURGING SAYS SUSA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SHOCK POLL: ROUNDS' LEAD DOWN TO 3%, PRESSLER SURGING SAYS SUSA  (Read 4762 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:19:45 PM »

http://www.aberdeennews.com/news/survey-south-dakota-pressler-gaining-on-rounds/article_2aa002bd-260b-596f-b2bb-518a59269ce0.html
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:23:41 PM »

I will now accept my accolades

Rounds' margin over Weiland has actually increased a percentage point since PPP's last internal poll of the race in August. The main object of concern for Rounds here is that Pressler has gained 7 points in that same time period; a movement corroborated by other pollsters. I could easily envision another Maine 2010 scenario occurring here, although I am not certain that Rounds would be as lucky as LePage was. Other pollsters besides PPP would need to corroborate this, but it seems that the conservative Howie may also be gaining momentum, which could hurt Rounds if Pressler's momentum continues.

Assuming current trends continue, by the end of October I would expect the standing to be Rounds ~34%; Pressler ~28%; Weiland ~21%; Howie 6%, which would put Pressler well within striking distance.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 06:30:55 PM »

SUSA is single-handedly saving Democratic hopes for the Senate!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 06:37:16 PM »

Excellent news! I would be furious if it were Weiland pulling up.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »

So much for Pressler being likely to fade. Nice try, PPP.
Panda Express

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:56:29 PM »

Weiland needs to drop out and endorse Pressler (yes, I know he'd still be on the ballot). He has no shot. Only Pressler does.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:57:30 PM »

Weiland is only doing 4 points worse than Pressler. And has an actual campaign apparatus behind him.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 06:59:39 PM »

Dems should try the Kansas strategy here and get Weiland to drop out
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »

Weiland needs to drop out and endorse Pressler (yes, I know he'd still be on the ballot). He has no shot. Only Pressler does.

Yup, I've thought this for quite a long time now. Putting this race on the board would substantially boost Democrats' odds of retaining the Senate.

Just a side note, aside from FitzGerald, is Rounds the biggest flop of the election cycle? He's definitely worse than Braley at this point. He might even be worse than Roberts.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 07:05:03 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2014, 07:30:23 PM by Eraserhead »

Wow. Three-way race.

I know Pressler is a former Republican but might he actually be to the left of Weiland? I read that he enthusiastically endorsed Obama twice.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2014, 07:44:51 PM by SteveRogers »

Weiland is only doing 4 points worse than Pressler. And has an actual campaign apparatus behind him.

Yes, it's definitely a different situation than Kansas. That being said, If Weiland drops out and endorses Pressler, essentially all of his support will go exclusively to Pressler. If, on the other hand, Pressler drops out and endorses Weiland, it's not clear that the same holds. I imagine at least a chunk of Pressler's support would probably go to Rounds. What does the data show about where Pressler's support is coming from?
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 07:19:05 PM »

"Were Weiland to drop out of the race, 71 percent of his voters say they would back Pressler compared to only 9 percent for Rounds. That would give Pressler 54 percent of the vote compared to 39 percent for Rounds. As things stand, though, Rounds could be elected with less then 40 percent of the vote, the poll shows." Weiland needs to drop out right now if he cares who wins the Senate.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »

Weiland is a bigger risk, but if Weiland were to win, he would actually try to hold the seat. Pressler has pledged he would only take the seat for the one term.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »

Weiland doesn't have to drop out now. There's four weeks left. Let's see if the $1 million Democratic outside groups are about to spend here moves his numbers. He's only polling slightly below Pressler. It's too late to get off the ballot anyway.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »

"Were Weiland to drop out of the race, 71 percent of his voters say they would back Pressler compared to only 9 percent for Rounds. That would give Pressler 54 percent of the vote compared to 39 percent for Rounds. As things stand, though, Rounds could be elected with less then 40 percent of the vote, the poll shows." Weiland needs to drop out right now if he cares who wins the Senate.

Holy sh[inks]. I hope the national party operators are burning up Daschle's/Weiland's phone lines right now.

Weiland doesn't have to drop out now. There's four weeks left. Let's see if the $1 million Democratic outside groups are about to spend here moves his numbers. He's only polling slightly below Pressler. It's too late to get off the ballot anyway.

Hopefully that $1 million is used to beat up on Rounds and not Pressler...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »

Holy sh[inks]. I hope the national party operators are burning up Daschle's/Weiland's phone lines right now.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/politics/2014/10/04/independent-pressler-faces-opposition-parties/16749013/

It looks like both parties are planning to bury Pressler Sad
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »

Weiland can win this if both parties are going hard after Pressler.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 07:37:50 PM »

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/politics/2014/10/04/independent-pressler-faces-opposition-parties/16749013/

It looks like both parties are planning to bury Pressler Sad

Damn, that sucks. It will be really lame if this golden opportunity is blown.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:20 PM »

Probably too good to be true.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »

I love how people take a single poll to mean that Rounds is no longer heavily favored, remember he still has a massive financial advantage
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 07:43:05 PM »

I love how people take a single poll to mean that Rounds is no longer heavily favored, remember he still has a massive financial advantage

and Pressler has the least money and yet it's been Pressler, not Rounds, that has surged.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 07:43:18 PM »

Because that massive financial advantage has been doing him so much good, am I right? He started out ahead 20 points.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »

Because that massive financial advantage has been doing him so much good, am I right? He started out ahead 20 points.
I know he's making this closer than it needs to be but to believe that Rounds has less than a 90% chance of pulling this out is delusional
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2014, 07:49:33 PM by eric82oslo »

Noone posted the actual numbers yet:

Mike Rounds (R): 35%
Larry Pressler (I): 32%
Rick Weiland (D): 28%
Gordon Howie (Far Right): 3%
Undecided: 2%

That's the lowest undecided number I've seen in any Senate contest or any poll of any race from any state so far this season I think! Only one in 50 voters haven't made up their mind, really??!
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »

"Should Pressler drop out, the race would be a dead heat between Rounds and Weiland, with each major party candidate picking up 47 percent of the vote, according to poll results.

With all three men on the ballot, Rounds is backed by only 55 percent of Republican Party base, according to the survey."
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies