Republican Congressman Chris Shays wants Delay to Step Down
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:07:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republican Congressman Chris Shays wants Delay to Step Down
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republican Congressman Chris Shays wants Delay to Step Down  (Read 1629 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2005, 09:25:34 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/10/delay.ap/index.html

"Tom's conduct is hurting the Republican Party, is hurting this Republican majority and it is hurting any Republican who is up for re-election," Rep. Chris Shays, a Connecticut Republican, told The Associated Press in an interview, calling for DeLay to step down as majority leader.

A moderate Republican from Connecticut who has battled with his party's leadership on a number of issues, Shays said efforts by the House GOP members to change ethics rules to protect DeLay only make the party look bad.

"My party is going to have to decide whether we are going to continue to make excuses for Tom to the detriment of Republicans seeking election," Shays said.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 10:09:46 PM »

What Republican doesn't want DeLay to step down? I can't wait until he's gone.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 10:11:44 PM »

That is a GOP response.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 10:16:01 PM »

By the same token, Chris Shays hurts the Republican majority everytime he backs the Dems, which is quite often.  I'm not a big fan of DeLay's, but it isn't like he is running a whorehouse out of his private residence, unlike a certain MA Congressman, and nobody on the left was screaming for his resignation.  DeLay needs to stay put until he is either convicted or acquitted, assuming he is ever formally charged.  
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 10:33:15 PM »

I think this is a political move by Shays.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 11:24:29 PM »

Shays is perpetually targeted by Dems as a possible pick-up. Its no coincidence the top anti-Delayers are him and Santorum.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 11:24:57 PM »

Just a few months ago, every last House Republican voted for him to be House Majority leader.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 11:26:10 PM »

Shays is perpetually targeted by Dems as a possible pick-up. Its no coincidence the top anti-Delayers are him and Santorum.

Damn CT gerrymandering gave us 3 Republicans who barely win each time, and 2 really really safe Democrats.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 11:30:11 PM »

Shay's shots at Delay is not a real political move in my opinon.  Shays has always been one of the more moderate members of the GOP in the house & has lashed heads a few times.  Santorum comments in my opinon were very polically motivated for his senate race.  He came out against Delay for him to answer questions, but at the same time praised the guy basically trying to open up to moderates a little bit, but praising Delay so the conservatives don;t get mad at him
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 12:14:18 AM »

Damn CT gerrymandering gave us 3 Republicans who barely win each time, and 2 really really safe Democrats.

Connecticut's legislature is dominated by Democrats.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies