The State of Southeastern Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey, and Delaware

<< < (5/5)

KEmperor:
Quote from: Fritz on April 14, 2004, 06:19:57 PM

Another idea I had for redrawing state lines was to move Staten Island into New Jersey...looking on a map, it seems to make geographic sense...not sure how Staten Islanders feel about this, though.

As far as I know, there are many Staten Islanders that want to become part of New Jersey, but I don't think it would happen.  I don't know if this is just a vocal minority though, because the people who are happy being part of NY aren't going to be complaining, obviously.

bullmoose88:
It be more than 12 electoral votes I think...

and blood sucking leech?

the 5 richest counties in the state are in the southeast...if anything our money's going west.

Nation:
What you guys don't take into consideration, is that

1) MD doesn't WANT DC
2) We have major budget problems -- DC would just make it worse

I don't have a solution for DC's problem, unfortunatley.

Federal-election wise, it would just put Maryland out of Republicans reach permanently -- it's tough now, but not impossible. I'm opinionless on whether to make DC vote for MD senators and whatnot, but there's bound to be editorials on it somewhere on the Internet.

muon2:
Quote from: Fritz on April 14, 2004, 06:19:57 PM

This thread has raised some interesting points that have nothing to do with the topic raised by the person who started it.  But anyways....

DC should not be a state, but they should have congressional representation.  I read a proposed amendment- don't know whatever happened to it- that said for purposes of federal elections only, DC would be considered part of Maryland.  Maryland would get to divide DC up in its own congressional districts (the state would get one more Rep, probably at the expense of North Carolina), and DC residents would vote for Maryland senators, and for Maryland electors in Presidential races.  The Republicans should love this, because it repeals the 3 EV for DC.  It sounds like a good idea all the way around, does anyone know whatever happened to this proposal?

Regarding other state re-arrangements, I do think California should be split, the state is just getting too damn big.

Why were North and South Dakota split, anyways?  Dakota should be one state.

Another idea I had for redrawing state lines was to move Staten Island into New Jersey...looking on a map, it seems to make geographic sense...not sure how Staten Islanders feel about this, though.

Dakota Territory was split by Congress in 1889 after the Republicans made statehood an issue in the 1888 election.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page