Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:35:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015  (Read 50925 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: July 29, 2015, 02:37:53 PM »

I love the irony in the anti-grindadrįp campaign. The grindadrįp is a example of a indigenous people hunting in traditional ways (except for improvements to inflict less pain on the animals), in sustainable manners and with a very small carbon foot print. The activists on the other waste large resources (and placew a large carbon foot print on the planet while doing it) trying to lower the life quality of the Faroese people and make them waste more resource to get food to the islands.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »

Actually, I find amusing how easily they change parties during the term Smiley there was an agreement to avoid such things in Spain and they are actually very bad considered.

I think we should see it in Faroese context, there only live 50 000 people on the island, little more than a middle sized Danish municipality, which mean that Faroe have a very small elite, who all know each other, and most people know a member of Lųgtinget and the talent mass are rather small. Politic in such a context will be much more personal in such a context, as such party loyalty will be much smaller, than in bigger countries, where it's much harder to work yourself up from bottom to top, and where anybody the parties suspect of being illoyal don't make it to the top. While on Faroe you can't afford throwing political talent away.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »

You are in any case very well informed of developments all around the globe as I can see in other threads like the Portuguese or Greek elections. That is really impressive.

Faroese seems hard, but Danish is also hard. I will need to retake it once I am back, and learn it better (and talk to people there because often people change to English when they see your Danish is bad: I know it is to make our lives easier, but the consequence is an added obstacle to learn Danish).

It's a common complain, which I fully understand; a week ago a friend of mine brought a foreign exchange student with him to a get together, as the polite people we are, we moved our conversation into English, so she could follow it.

Of course a solution could be, to simply ask people if they would keep the conversation in Danish, as you were training your Danish. I know we had a foreign supervisor at some volunteer work I did, where there was several people with limited English skill, who told, that she understood Danish, the result was that we spoke Danish to her, and she spoke English to us. So if you don't want to ask, you could simply single someone out with limited English skill and take the conversation with that person in Danish, the rest will likely shift to Danish to be polite.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies