Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:38:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19
Author Topic: Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015  (Read 50723 times)
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: September 24, 2015, 04:01:01 AM »

Is there already the calendar?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #426 on: September 24, 2015, 04:16:30 AM »

Nothing on it yet:
http://www.logting.fo/schedules/view.gebs?menuChanged=57
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #427 on: September 24, 2015, 04:18:48 AM »

Maybe it is scheduled for October.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #428 on: September 24, 2015, 07:40:40 AM »

Maybe it is scheduled for October.

You can just move the calendar forward - there is nothing noted for October yet.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #429 on: September 24, 2015, 09:54:02 AM »

Sonja J. has submitted the marriage equality proposal today together with the equality spokespersons from the three government parties: Bjørt Samuelsen (Republic), Kristianna Winther Poulsen (SD) and Hanna Jensen (Progress). So no high profile opposition figures on board.

Apparently I misread her facebook info (it was in Faroese after all), maybe she just wrote she intended to do it. Anyway, its done now.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #430 on: September 24, 2015, 10:13:11 AM »

Ahhh, that sounds OK. SO that it should be in the calendar soon.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #431 on: September 24, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »

I found this  news but do not know what is about, as I cannot read faroese, maybe you can guess it.

It says something about first october?

http://kvf.fo/greinar/2015/09/24/uppskot-broyta-hjunabandslogina-latid-tinginum#.VgQTwtLtmko
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #432 on: September 24, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »

I found this  news but do not know what is about, as I cannot read faroese, maybe you can guess it.

It says something about first october?

http://kvf.fo/greinar/2015/09/24/uppskot-broyta-hjunabandslogina-latid-tinginum#.VgQTwtLtmko

It says its the same proposal Bjørt Samuelsen, Rigmor Dam and Poul Michelsen presented in the last election term and that the parliamentary secretariat (Løgtingsskrivstovan) will now look into the legal consequences/do a legal evaluation (or something to that effect) and expects to present it before the Løgting early in next month (= the Speaker will announce it and members get a copy).
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #433 on: September 24, 2015, 11:08:27 AM »

And after the members get the copy, the whole process will start, I guess. If they run, it may be approved in December.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #434 on: September 29, 2015, 09:54:29 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 03:30:12 PM by politicus »

Party strength

National:

People's Party 18,9      
Union 18,7   
Social Democrats 25,1   
Home Rule 4,1   
Republic 20,7   
Progress 7,0   
Centre 5,5

Capital area:

PP 13,5      
Union 14,4      
SD 27,0
HR 2,0   
Republic 25,8   
Progress 11,8   
Centre 5,5

Rest of Streymoy:

PP 15,8      
Union 17,3      
SD 27,6   
HR 3,0      
Republic 22,8   
Progress 9,0   
Centre 4,5

Eysturoy:

PP 18,5      
Union 27,2   
SD 18,5      
HR 7,4      
Republic 16,5      
Progress 5,1      
Centre 6,8

Klaksvík:   

PP 32,4      
Union 15,6      
SD 22,0      
HR 8,6      
Republic 14,2   
Progress 2,1   
Centre 5,2

Rest of Nordoyar:   

PP 38,2
Union 12,4      
SD 18,1      
HR 5,8   
Republic 15,3      
Progress 2,9      
Centre 7,4

Vágar incl. Mykines:      

PP 26,6   
Union 23,5      
SD 22,5   
HR 2,9   
Republic 16,2   
Progress 3,2      
Centre 5,2

Sandoy incl. Skuvoy:      

PP 26,9      
Union 25,9      
SD 11,9      
HR 0,8      
Republic 29,3      
Progress 2,1   
Centre 3,2

Suðuroy:   

PP 18,1      
Union 15,4      
SD 42,7      
HR 0,9      
Republic 18,4   
Progress 0,8   
Centre 3,7

The People's Party
The party is clearly strongest on the Northern Isles, but somewhat weaker in Klaksvik than in the settlements. Vagar and Sandoy is about 20% above the national average, while Suduroy and Eysturoy are very close to the national result. PP is significantly weaker on Streymoy than in the rest of the country with the Torshavn area as the worst. Explanation: fishing interests, but it doesn't explain all the differences. Streymoy is "stuck in the middle" and further from the open sea than the other islands and it hasn't got as many natural harbours so it has a relatively smaller ocean going fishing fleet.

Union Party
Remains strongest in its traditional stronghold Eysturoy with about 1.5 times the national average, Sandoy and Vagar are also strong areas for the party, Sandoy due to SD deserter Gerhard Lognberg: Suduroy, Klaksvik and the villages on Streymoy are at a level around 15-20% below average, Torshavn is even weaker than the rest of Streymoy, while the harcore separatist settlements on Nordoyar are the party's poorest region with less than 2/3 of the national average.

The Social Democrats
The party's undisputed stronghold is still “the cradle of the Faroese labour movement” Suduroy, where it got 60% more support than the national average. It is slightly above average on Streymoy (approximately equally strong in the the town and settlements), Klaksvik and Vagar are about 10% below average, while conservative Eysturoy and the likewise conservative settlements on the Northern Isles are markedly weaker, their weakest result is on Sandoy, where SD gets less than half of the national result due to a popular local hero Republican attracting heaps of leftist voters and defector Gerhard Lognberg attracting some moderates leftists to UP.

Republic
The party's best results is Sandoy which is c. 45% above the average. Second best is the captal area, where it gets a quarter more than average, while the rest of Streymoy is also more than 10% above average. Suduroy is about 10% below due to leftists down there prefering SD, while Eysturoy, Vagar and the Northern Isles are the party's weakest areas with a backing about a quarter below average. The party is weakest in Klaksvik (unusual for a leftist party to be at its weakest in the country's second largest town, but Klaksvik is in many ways still just a big village), and Republic has a few traditional strongholds in the Noordoyar settlements giving them a slightly higher average out there than in town.

Home Rule
Very uneven distribution. The party's strongholds are the Northern Islands and Eysturoy. This time topped by Klaksvik (where the party chairman Jogvan Skorheim is Mayor), where it got more than twice as large a share as the national average. The settlements on the Northern Isles are (interestingly enough) about 20% weaker than Eysturoy. It was a quarter below average in Vagar and the Streymoy-settlements, and only got half of the national result in the capital area. Suduroy is the party's clearly worst area, with only a fifth of the national average.

Progress
The party is very much a "center" party with its best result of around 70% above average in Torshavn and second strongest in the other parts of Streymoy, where it is about 30% above average. The rest of the country is below average. Eysturoy is the second best island (but still over 20% below), followed by Vagar and the Nordoyar-settlements with about 40% of the national average and then Sandoy and Klaksvk on 30%. Basically Progress becomes weaker the further out in the periphery you get and got its clearly weakest result on isolated Suduroy (just over 10% of the average). The party's focus on centralization and their Social Liberalism is the main explanation here. Klaksvik springs to mind as a clear breach of the pattern (it is below the surrounding settlements), although the town is conservative a sucky local campaign is part of the explanation here, whereas a couple of popular former HR candidates secured a better result in the settlements.

Centre
The party is basically strongest in the north and becomes weaker the further south you go - but there are many exceptions. Its absolute stronghold is the Nordoyar-settlements, where it is over 50% above average. Then follows Eysturoy with over 20% above. The capital area, Klaksvik and Vagar is at or about average. While the Streymoy settlements are about 10% below. The party's support is approximately 30% below the average on Suduroy and 40% below the Sandoy. (Most of) the Nordoyar-settlements and the Skálafjørður area on Eysturoy are the heart of the Faroese Bible Belt, but southern Suduroy also has many fundamentalists and constitutes a separate kind of Bible Belt, which only pulls Suduroy slightly above the neighbouring (secular) island of Sandoy. Suduroy remains filled with Red SoCons, who see no discrepancy between being on the left wing of the Social Democrats and sticking to a literal interpretation of the Bible. It is interesting that Centre polls the national average in the capital, where party chairman Jenis av Rani's is the municipal doctor, and Tórshavn is actually better for the party than the rest of Streymoy. The difference betwen Klaksvik and the settlements is also significant, but as one would have expected.

Note: Rest of Streymoy includes the populated islets Hestur, Koltur and Nolsoy (all in green on the map). The Capital area is Torshavn polling district (including the suburbs Hoyvik and Hvitanes) + the southern suburb Argir, which has its own polling station. The islands in yellow (of which Skuvoy and Stora Dimun are populated) are part of the Sandoy region.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #435 on: September 30, 2015, 07:54:33 AM »

Ruth Vang from Progress is appointed as new chairman of the Fiscal Committee, which is only fair and ends the Annika Olsen saga (for now). If she returns to parliament, she will be a fairly irrelevant Indie.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #436 on: September 30, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »

Do the colours of the map above meananything politically?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #437 on: September 30, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 03:49:33 PM by politicus »

Do the colours of the map above meananything politically?

No, they are administrative borders. The areas having the same basic colour designates a region (syslu), while different shades within the region are used to mark municipalities. It is just that Skuvoy is yellow despite belonging to the otherwise orange Sandoy region. Then there are Sundini ("the Sounds") on both sides of the sound between northern Streamy and Eysturoy.

If you are interested the classic unionist/separatist breakdown is:

Nordoyar: separatist
Northern Streymoy: separatisy
Eysturoy: unionist
Vagar: unionist dominance, some separatist areas
Southern Streymoy: mixed, because everybody migrate to Torshavn
Sandoy: mixed
Suduroy: workers are unionist, but the wealthy are mostly PP separatists, while the educated are Republic voting separatists

Even if it isn't as important as it used to be this pattern still matters. But easy road access to Torshavn has changed northern Streymoy from a PP stronghold to a more mixed area, where PP is by now weaker than average.

It is also worth noticing that the fishermen working on the big ocean going trawlers get a share of the profit and make 170,00-250,000 dollars a year, more than, say, the administrator of the University of the Faroe Islands or a cabinet member, so they vote for the right wing, mainly PP. Coastal fishermen are poor, but there aren't many left of them.
Ldrops
« Reply #438 on: October 01, 2015, 07:48:21 PM »

Does the ex-PM want a referendum?

I'm new so I have to have 20 posts before I can post a link, but I found a title that says:

Skulu hava fólkaatkvøðu um samkynt hjúnalag

and mentions Kaj.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #439 on: October 01, 2015, 07:59:12 PM »

Does the ex-PM want a referendum?

I'm new so I have to have 20 posts before I can post a link, but I found a title that says:

"Skulu hava fólkaatkvøðu um samkynt hjúnalag"

and mentions Kaj.

Yes, he says he thinks its "too big and profound a decision for parliament  to make, but should be decided by the Faroese people".

Very hypocritical, he could have called a plebiscite when the proposal was before the Løgting in 2014 instead of ordering his own party to vote it down.

(the Faroes can only hold non-binding plebiscites, but he wants all political parties to commit to respecting the decision)
Ldrops
« Reply #440 on: October 01, 2015, 08:08:25 PM »

These PMs (Kaj/Turnbull) and their plebiscites...thank you for the answer.

I edit articles on Wikipedia's LGBT rights pages and have been watching this thread lately. One question: do you know if the bill would include adoption like Greenland's?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #441 on: October 01, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »

These PMs (Kaj/Turnbull) and their plebiscites...thank you for the answer.

I edit articles on Wikipedia's LGBT rights pages and have been watching this thread lately. One question: do you know if the bill would include adoption like Greenland's?

Yes, it should be identical to the 2014 proposal and that included full equality on all issues (apart from church weddings).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #442 on: October 01, 2015, 08:45:44 PM »

A referendum on this would all of a sudden make the Faroese a lot more well-known in the world. Sadly, probably not in a positive way...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #443 on: October 02, 2015, 04:53:07 AM »

A referendum on this would all of a sudden make the Faroese a lot more well-known in the world. Sadly, probably not in a positive way...

Nah, the sheer thought of Jenis av Rana on every major international news channel comparing gays to a swarm of locusts that will devour and destroy Faroese culture and way of life likely scares the sh**t out of the government and their tourist industry. Some intrepid reporter might also make it all the way to Skalafjørdur and dig up a fisherman dabbling as a Plymouth Brethren lay preacher, who would tell them God will diverge every shoal of fish far away from Faroese waters if they do this sinful deed and talk about people marrying dogs and sheeps as the inevitable next step (seemingly a favourite among Faroese settlement preachers).

Small countries that are rarely in the international news get their image defined for decades by something like this and the Faroese do not want to be perceived as backwards and bigoted (and most of them aren't either of those things). They already have the grindadrap thing defining them.

The other reason the government parties don't want a plebiscite is of course that unleashing this sh**tstorm of homophobia would be cruel towards the gay community. Even the Red SoCons in SD don't want this (they were in a position to demand one).

The whole thing would also be a pointless exercise. The opponents might push the no vote to 40%, but thats it. And it is more likely the supporters push the Yes vote to 70-72% given many moderates will be turned off by the sheer nastiness of a No campaign.

A plebiscite was only an emergency tool for the supporters, if they were a few votes short in parliament. For KLJ it is useful to make the government seem like they are "ignoring the will of the people" (even though gay marriage was a major theme in the election campaign) and patch over things in his own deeply divided party.

Thankfully, there won't be a plebiscite, so this is just signalling.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #444 on: October 02, 2015, 05:12:16 AM »

Maybe KLJ is just playing a card before the internal leadership elections of his party at the end of October? I mean, it may just be a message for the membership of the party more than for society as a whole.

In any case,  I do not think that the Faroese Assembly will have the vote on same-sex marriage before 24th October, due to the actual legislative process, so that whatever he says now may be different later.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #445 on: October 02, 2015, 05:39:57 AM »

Maybe KLJ is just playing a card before the internal leadership elections of his party at the end of October? I mean, it may just be a message for the membership of the party more than for society as a whole.

In any case,  I do not think that the Faroese Assembly will have the vote on same-sex marriage before 24th October, due to the actual legislative process, so that whatever he says now may be different later.

Likely a bit of both, it does give him an excuse to vote against it (he says in the article he will do that), without contradicting his earlier statements about personally being pro-gay marriage. Now he is just protecting democracy  and the interests of the people, how noble of him...

I see no reason he should change his mind, that would just be wishful thinking.

So it is 15-13 now, but 16-12 after Annika Olsen comes back on November 1 and they won't vote before that. The opponents would need 4 out of 5 undecideds to vote no, and I still think most of them will simply abstain.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #446 on: October 05, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »

I looked at the calendar and nothing is said yet on the discussion on same-sex marriages (if I am not wrong)
Ldrops
« Reply #447 on: October 08, 2015, 09:10:29 AM »

Any developments, guys? Smiley There seem to be more squares filled out in the Logtingid site now.

By the way, politicus, I know the word samkynd, but could you tell me the Faroese words for "marriage" and "law" and "adoption" if you know them?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #448 on: October 08, 2015, 03:10:25 PM »

Any developments, guys? Smiley There seem to be more squares filled out in the Logtingid site now.

By the way, politicus, I know the word samkynd, but could you tell me the Faroese words for "marriage" and "law" and "adoption" if you know them?

No news and it is not on the agenda yet, but I will ask a Faroese contact if she knows something.

Adoption is ættleiðing, marriage is hjúnaband, law is løg (as in Løgting, the Law Thing) and the marriage law is therefore called hjúnabandslógin.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #449 on: October 08, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »

The Løgting administration is currently scrutinizing the proposal and it takes longer than normal, because it is a so-called "ríkislógartilmæli" ie. a recommendation to the Danish Folketing about changing a realm law (the Faroes are currently exempt from the Danish marriage equality law). In a statement the Løgting director Jonhard Klettheyggj, says that such a recommendation is very rare, and when there is one it is usually on the initiative of a Minister, but since this isn't the case here they are looking into practice. The Løgting will go on autumn holiday for a week on Monday, but the bill is expected to be put before the Løgting in the beginning of the week after that.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies