Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:50:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19
Author Topic: Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015  (Read 50694 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 10, 2015, 06:36:51 AM »

Now it is a matter of when.

It may take ages like in Greenland or be faster.

No, Greenland was because of bureaucratic inefficiency and slip-ups. This is different. They are ideologically motivated to do it (and especially Progress wants it done fast) and their administration is efficient.

Btw Annika O. said she had not yet decided which party to join, but expect to do so soon. So not going to be an Indie. Hard to see her going anywhere else than Progress.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #351 on: September 10, 2015, 06:40:19 AM »

Even if they want it fast, family law is competence of Denmark.

Even if the Faroese administration is efficient, the implementation has to be done from Denmark as far as I know.

It was not only the Greenlandic administration, but also the Danish one, which has its times.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #352 on: September 10, 2015, 06:47:50 AM »

Even if they want it fast, family law is competence of Denmark.

Even if the Faroese administration is efficient, the implementation has to be done from Denmark as far as I know.

It was not only the Greenlandic administration, but also the Danish one, which has its times.

No, not really. They are implementing the Danish law and can just copy most of the necessary adjustments. The relevant current Danish laws simply have an exception for the Faroes, which can just be removed by the Faroese joining in.

It was things like the Greenlandic translation of documents not being done in time and an election being called before they could get it on the agenda etc. that delayed it in Greenland. DK had nothing to do with it.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #353 on: September 10, 2015, 06:50:20 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2015, 08:52:55 AM by jmlv »

That is only if it does not affect other laws, so that they can just prepare a decree, I assume.

Why do you say Denmark has nothing to do with it if it is its competence?

In any case, same-sex marriage was already discussed in the Faroese assembly.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #354 on: September 10, 2015, 07:01:30 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2015, 08:53:17 AM by jmlv »

On the fishing cuotas...I still do not understand how two left and a right wing party can match beyond that. Maybe if they agree on what to do with it right now, they will disagree on broader economic issues after that.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #355 on: September 10, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »

On the fishing cuotas...I still do not understand how two left and a right wing party can match beyond that. Maybe if they agree on what to do with it right now, they will disagree on broader economic issues after that.

In a fishing nation this is the central issue. The left being in favour of the free market on quotas makes them the only allies for Progress on this. Progress know they only have a few seats. They are willing to pay a prize to get this reform, since it is a necessary first step in the transformation of Faroese economy they want. If they agree on taxes and fishing quotas, welfare and liberalizing farming legislation that is the central elements. Monetary policy and currency matters are controlled by Denmark (and the market of course), so there aren't that many economic issues besides fiscal policy to disagree on.

The key is that in a natural resources based economy you can finance the public sector without having high taxes if you sell the right to use those resources for a good enough prize. That changes the standard left/right divide quite a bit.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #356 on: September 10, 2015, 09:12:36 AM »

That is only if it does not affect other laws, so that they can just prepare a decree, I assume.

Why do you say Denmark has nothing to do with it if it is its competence?

Those other laws are broadly similar to Denmark's.

I said that Denmark had nothing to do with the delay of the Greenlandic gay marriage because it hadn't. All the clusterf#cks and slip-ups happened in Greenland. I love Greenlanders, but they are not great organizers or known for the efficiency of their bureaucrats.

Also, Greenland decided on gay marriage ultimo May and implements it from October 1. That is a mere 4 months and that even includes the summer holidays (so really three effective months). Wouldn't be surprised if the Faroes try to get it done before Christmas (December1.?), or at least from New Years.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #357 on: September 10, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »

They discussed it in the faroes before, the tempos will be similar i suppose
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #358 on: September 10, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »

At that time, according to the news, they presented the proposal in november and voted in march. March would be a possible date.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #359 on: September 10, 2015, 10:18:19 AM »

anyway, they may say a time schedule for their reforms tomorrow.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2015, 10:36:11 AM by politicus »

They discussed it in the faroes before, the tempos will be similar i suppose

Not likely. This is a whole new situation with the government behind it. The earlier proposal was a members bill.

Remember there is great symbolic value in this.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #361 on: September 10, 2015, 10:39:02 AM »

So one would expect an announcement tomorrow on a time schedule?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #362 on: September 10, 2015, 10:48:48 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2015, 11:20:11 AM by politicus »

Faroese media speculate about something I also thought about. Poul Michelsen is 71 and there are no obvious successors in Progress, and since Annika Olsen is one of the most popular politicians in Torshavn (where their potential is greatest) and an excellent communicator she would be an obvious choice for successor. So if she joins Olsen could take over in a year or two, while Michelsen concentrates on running a ministry. They got along well together when Michelsen was in Progress.

If she can get the Liberal part of PP from the central islands to vote Progress, Progress might eventually overtake PP. Their problem is this might be a two wave exodus. First the Libertarians left in 2011 and if the Torshavn (Havnar) and Stremoy Liberals join them now PP could lose its position as one of the "Big 4" in Faroese politics - which would further diminish their appeal. They would be left with shrinking demographics, whereas Progress would have the young/youngish urban/exurban (#) and well-educated segments.

#In the Faroes this includes big settlements within easy driving distance from Torshavn. The central part of the country is getting highly integrated with all those tunnels the have build.

The next chairman of Progress?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #363 on: September 10, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »

So one would expect an announcement tomorrow on a time schedule?

They may want to consult with the administration first.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #364 on: September 10, 2015, 12:00:02 PM »

The administratiuon - that reminds me of Belgium - without politicians it did quite decently Cheesy

Annika seems quite young, thought she was older, I dont know why.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #365 on: September 10, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »

The reason why I said March is because when Helle Thorning took power, the caolition was also determined to pass same-sex marriage, but it took about six months.

Maybe it is faster now, lets see.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #366 on: September 10, 2015, 12:37:02 PM »

The reason why I said March is because when Helle Thorning took power, the caolition was also determined to pass same-sex marriage, but it took about six months.

Maybe it is faster now, lets see.

Not comparable scenarios. Denmark started out with a lot of work to do (even if there were some overlaps with countries that had done it before, there were lots of details that differed), while the Faroes can copy almost all of the legislation they need from Denmark - since their systems are nearly identical.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »

Annika seems quite young, thought she was older, I dont know why.

She is 40 - not sure how old the pic is.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #368 on: September 10, 2015, 01:27:48 PM »

She was then very young in 2006 when the discrimination bill.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #369 on: September 10, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »

Isnt greenlandic law also alike?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #370 on: September 10, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »

Annika Olsen from PP, who got the second most votes, has decided to leave the party. She is from Torshavn and basically says there are too many SoCons/Hard Right in the new group. That "despite her good personal election the leaderships policy won the election and Liberal values lost out." Also claims she still believes in the party platform (which says PP is a Liberal, democratic and social party..).
She probably didn't know this two weeks ago Roll Eyes
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #371 on: September 10, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »

Annika Olsen from PP, who got the second most votes, has decided to leave the party. She is from Torshavn and basically says there are too many SoCons/Hard Right in the new group. That "despite her good personal election the leaderships policy won the election and Liberal values lost out." Also claims she still believes in the party platform (which says PP is a Liberal, democratic and social party..).
She probably didn't know this two weeks ago Roll Eyes

How could she? She did not know the internal election result back then.

She was hoping her wing of the party got a much better election than they did. There were 9 members in the old parliamentary group - incl. a defector from Progress - and a third of them were Liberals. If the other two had been reelected it would have been 3/3. But Conservatives got 5 of 6 seats in the election, so she was then left as the lone Liberal with no chance of getting control of the party.

Remember she tried to get the executive committee to organize a leadership election in 2011, so she could challenge Jørgen Niclasen. Her dissatisfaction with the leadership is not a new thing.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #372 on: September 10, 2015, 02:19:03 PM »

Yes, but see my post above about the efficiency of Greenlandic bureaucrats. Wink

There are major cultural and mentality differences between Greenlanders and Faroese.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #373 on: September 10, 2015, 02:21:51 PM »

Not even in the faroes laws are passed overnight

And yes different mentality but Greenland has registered partnership since the 90s
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #374 on: September 10, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »

Illbe away for three days, onmonday i will find out the result!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies