Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:56:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19
Author Topic: Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015  (Read 50691 times)
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: September 05, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »

Woult if be possible to say that CP is a loyal party in a coalition? I mean, they did not vote against KLJ , as PP did. And it seems that, beyond their hardcore ethical things, they are flexible on other issues. Am I wrong?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #276 on: September 05, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »

Woult if be possible to say that CP is a loyal party in a coalition? I mean, they did not vote against KLJ , as PP did. And it seems that, beyond their hardcore ethical things, they are flexible on other issues. Am I wrong?

No, they are a solid coalition partner and easy to please if you give them what they want on the SoCon areas (incl. religious education in public schools, which is church controlled, and such).

They broke out of a much more right wing (and now defunct) Christian Peoples Party exactly to become the perfect coalition partner for both sides of each of the two cleavages (left/right and separatist/unionist). Which is why Jenis av Rana going of the deep end is a bit weird, but they are of course threatened on core beliefs with the gay marriage thing.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »

Yes but religious education in schools is also an ethical thing.

It seems their agenda is weak or non existent in economic or separatis/unionist areas.

I am far away from the views of that party, but to me it appears coherent (although they could avoid things like baning the parade or the like, being against same-sex marriage, for them, makes sense)
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #278 on: September 05, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »

but maybe I am too influenced by my context. Spain is one of the countries with the most advanced family and civil law in europe. Gay marriage is old news, it was passed a decade ago.
The focus now is on economy, social inequality (not legal/civil inequality any longer, although both are related, for example, the access of women to workforce), poverty, etc.

The Faroese scenario is different.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #279 on: September 05, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »

Yes but religious education in schools is also an ethical thing.

It seems their agenda is weak or non existent in economic or separatis/unionist areas.

I am far away from the views of that party, but to me it appears coherent (although they could avoid things like baning the parade or the like, being against same-sex marriage, for them, makes sense)

Their views are very coherent, but av Ranas rhetoric the time has been shrill and dystopic this time, which makes them look extreme and isolates them, and focused exclusively on gay marriage.

They are naturally very pro-local communities and support fishing quotas reserved to small settlements, government subsidies to ferry routes and local transport etc. Anything that benefit their core electorate. So they are also a periphery-interest party.

They moved away from being mildly separatist to being completely neutral and this seems deliberate. but this time they still proposed a broad "separatist coalition" (incl. them, but not Progress) at the first consultation with the Speaker. But I guess that was desperation.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #280 on: September 05, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »

I think their leader was not the right one for this time.

If they used a different rethoric, they could have done something better.

But on these other issues that you mention, their socioeconomic approach seems closer to SD-Rep.

As I said I cannot read Froese so it is difficult for me to follow but my general impression is that their strategy was bad. They would need an Argentinean Pope! Smiley
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #281 on: September 05, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »

Btw, we talked about the position of CP against same-sex marriage.

But what about the position of the Faroese Church? Do they share CPs views?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #282 on: September 05, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »

Well, that depends what church we are talking about. Fólkakirkjan (The Peoplen's Church), which became independent of the Danish Lutheran church in 2007, is the established Lutheran church and mostly tolerant - and also not exclusively SoCon. It's Bishop is actually in favor of legalized abortion. It is against church gay marriage and the use of the term marriage for gay relationships, but has no opinion of registered partnerships. 83.8% of the Faroese are members, but of those 7.4% are also members of the Pietistic Inner Mission. Outside of Folkakirkjan 11.4% are in the Plymouth Brethren and 1.5% Pentecostalists. Then there are about 1-2% in several more radical evangelical sects. So you got around 22% who are fundis in some form or another.

CP is based on Inner Mission, Plymouth Brethren, Pentecostalists and various charismatic sects, not the mainstream Lutherans.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #283 on: September 05, 2015, 04:34:12 PM »

So you got a relatively large group of voters, who are fundamentalists and their votes are spread over most parties. Fx. Southern Suduroy is a fundi stronghold, but also an SD stronghold.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #284 on: September 05, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »

Jenis av Rana is also the Scandinavian leader of World Christian Doctors Network (WCDN), which attempts to medically analyze supposed healing cases performed by God. So he is into the whole divine healing thing.  WCDN is founded by controversial, to say the least, South Korean cult leader and healer Jaerock Lee (72), who is the president of The United Holiness Church of Korea and the World Christianity Revival Mission Association.

Besides being the municipal physician of Torshavn Jenis av Rana is also a lay preacher and his political speeches and sermons are basically one and the same.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #285 on: September 05, 2015, 05:48:04 PM »

Do you have any link on the established Faroese Folkekirke Bishop opinion on gay wedding?
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #286 on: September 05, 2015, 06:13:28 PM »

And are there any Catholics up there?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »

Do you have any link on the established Faroese Folkekirke Bishop opinion on gay wedding?

Not really, but asked in this interview what would happen "if the Faroese Bishop accepted gay marriage?" he says  "then there probably wouldn't be that much Folkakjyrka left".

He also admits that the main reason there was such a huge support for separation from the Danish church was that the Danish church was seen as too liberal.

It is pretty informative. One of the problems is that young people from mainstream families no longer study theology, so only the very conservatives become Ministers. There is also a tendency that they seek very conservative/non-mainstream seminars in Denmark giving young right wingers the paradoxical nickname "the Danish priests".

He has ordered consevative Ministers to work with their female colleagues, but otherwise tried to avoid confrontation with them. Even if the deadly says he will modernize the church.

http://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/kirke-tro/biskop-vil-modernisere-den-færøske-folkekirke
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2015, 06:24:51 PM »

Thanks for the link!!

Probably besides that the Danish curch was more liberal, there is a nationalistic thing in taking over the Church.

The Church has historically been very important in the Faroes, it can be seen as a "national" matter.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2015, 06:32:38 PM »

And are there any Catholics up there?

Have been continuously since the 1930s. Around 130 and 6 Franciscan nuns. They have a church in Torshavn:

jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #290 on: September 05, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »

In the end of the interview to tbe bishop, these lines are interesting. He said that in 2010.

– Status er i dag, at Færøerne ganske langsomt, men sikkert går mod at blive et moderne internationalt samfund. Og det betyder også, at sekulariseringen allerede er godt på vej. Vores levevis, også biskoppens, viser, at vi er børn af vores tid.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #291 on: September 05, 2015, 06:36:27 PM »

In the end of the interview to tbe bishop, these lines are interesting. He said that in 2010.

– Status er i dag, at Færøerne ganske langsomt, men sikkert går mod at blive et moderne internationalt samfund. Og det betyder også, at sekulariseringen allerede er godt på vej. Vores levevis, også biskoppens, viser, at vi er børn af vores tid.

Sure, and "only" 38% goes to church regularly by the last count. That is way above the Scandinavian mainland but not like the Faroes of yore.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2015, 06:38:05 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2015, 06:54:12 PM by politicus »

Thanks for the link!!

Probably besides that the Danish curch was more liberal, there is a nationalistic thing in taking over the Church.

The Church has historically been very important in the Faroes, it can be seen as a "national" matter.

That goes without saying, but the point was that the Danish church being too liberal was actually even more important in securing a fast break with very high numbers in support (even before they were really ready).
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2015, 06:43:46 PM »

Yes I read an article in a book where the Danes were kind of viewed as continental "sinners" in some Faroese circles.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2015, 07:02:21 AM »

How are the developments going?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »

No news, maybe they do keep the Sabbath after all Wink
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2015, 08:19:14 AM »

Yeah, relaxing with the family, friends, on in the beach having a sunbath! Smiley
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »

They negotiated through last night. They will resume on Monday with the relationship to Denmark/union issue and the fishing quotas. Aksel Johannessen said he expected them to have a result after a couple of days in next week. But we will now more after Monday when they have started on the hard stuff.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »

So, Pogress or Home Rule, or both. No one knows.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »

So, Pogress or Home Rule, or both. No one knows.

Both are still in.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies