Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:55:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Author Topic: Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015  (Read 50709 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2015, 08:16:59 AM »

haha that map is the rainbow flag ! Cheesy

Yeah, and since most Faroese journalists are SocLibs that is probably not a coincidence. Wink
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #226 on: September 03, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »

Well they can always try an union with Iceland Cheesy
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2015, 10:20:32 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 01:01:47 PM by politicus »

Well they can always try an union with Iceland Cheesy

Historically Iceland has been the big brother and ideal for Faroese nationalists and many of the prominent families on the separatist side married into Icelandic families.

The Faroese understand Icelandic quite well, but Icelanders are unable to understand Faroese, so there is not even a community of language on the mainland Scandinavian level. Faroese is further from the original Old Norse than Icelandic and apparently it is easier to "go back" to the common ground than understand the neologisms and Danish loan words in Faroese despite the many strange invented Icelandic words for modern things (they mostly consist of elements a Faroese can guess the meaning of).

A union would need to use English or Danish (Icelanders still learn it, but are quite bad at it) as common language and both would be totally unacceptable to the nationalists. Language is at the heart of Faroese (and Icelandic) nationalism. The difference in size is also still too big and the Faroes would be swamped by the self confident and dominant Icelanders.
(there is a saying in Iceland that if Icelands population had been just a quarter of the Norwegian Norway would have become an Icelandic colony, and I tend to believe them)

They have the same type of natural resource based economy, so a common currency might work, but  Icelandic economy is not quite stable enough for this to be attractive.

The Faroese had their krone pegged to the British pound 1940-49, but that was WW2 and aftermath and with Britain their only trade partner of importance, not so today. Still, it would be more acceptable than the Euro. Only UP are pro-EU. Separatists hate it (like Icelandic nationalists). It was then been pegged to the Danish krone at 1:1 and today it is just a version of the Danish krone and issued by our national bank. Faroese notes are legal tender in Denmark (even if shops often refuse to take them), but officially you have to change the other way (but most shops take Danish notes).

But ironically they might inherited the Danish krone if we ever join the Euro Wink Greenlandic politicians generally agree Greenland would have negotiate with the EU about using the Euro in this case leaving the Danish krone as a Faroese currency by default.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #228 on: September 03, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »

what about oil, is there any oil around?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2015, 11:33:02 AM »

what about oil, is there any oil around?

They are searching (and dreaming..), but so far, no.

jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »

In the Canary Islands they thought they found oil.

People were mostly against. And the regional government, which was against prospections, wanted to call a referendum (even if they are not legally allow to call a referendum). The central government was in favour of prospections.

Apparently there is no oil in the end.

But maybe they do not risk so much touristic resources in the Faroes, even if their nature looks stunning....they lack the good weather.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »

KLJ resigns as chairman of the Union Party.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2015, 12:42:48 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 01:03:37 PM by politicus »

All party leaders except Jørgen Niclasen from PP pointed to Aksel Johannessen as the leader of the government formation talks ("negotiation leader"). Niclasen wanted Høgni Hoydal from Republic in charge, no doubt hoping to tempt Republic into forming an "independence coalition" with PP, Progress and HR.

Johannessen now has 10 working days to form a government - starting today. He had talks with Republic and Progress today, and will meet with the Home Rule leaders tomorrow.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »

Thats good fun. I guess they will agree on something.

KLJ....that was expected. He was in a very bad position now (as if he was not before).

I am elarning a lot on Faroese politics these days, this i being a good chat Smiley

(og man kan også sige på dansk, det er en hyggeligt samtale) Smiley
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2015, 03:19:53 PM »

who is the leader now of the UP?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2015, 09:35:59 AM by politicus »

No one, their executive committee will meet during the week and decide who it is going to be - or send it to a party congress, but they prefer to avoid that in the Faroes. No one has announced their candidature yet, but Bardur Nielsen will want the job. Perhaps their former chairman Edmund Joensen (70) (an ex-PM, Speaker and Folketing MP), who topped the poll, will have to take another turn to prevent infighting. Nielsen would almost certainly not run against him.

There was one article on Kringvarp saying KLJ had second thoughts because so many people had urged him to stay on, but I doubt he will change his mind. Once you have announced your resignation there is no going back - his authority would never be the same.

It was the party associations on two of the smaller islands, Vágar and Sandoy, that demanded his resignation, so if he has support on the two central islands he can fight on. But it would be foolish to try to.

EDIT: Their executive committee is meeting on Monday. KLJ has resigned, but is apparently also a candidate as "new" chairman. Messy.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2015, 04:02:17 PM »

Thats good fun. I guess they will agree on something.

KLJ....that was expected. He was in a very bad position now (as if he was not before).

I am learning a lot on Faroese politics these days, this i being a good chat Smiley

(og man kan også sige på dansk, det er en hyggeligt samtale) Smiley

Thx, I have enjoyed it too. Is that Google Translate or do you know some Danish?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #237 on: September 04, 2015, 04:49:49 AM »

SD-Republic and Progress have continued with the government formation talks alone in what the Faroese media call "serious negotiations" - so no Home Rule.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #238 on: September 04, 2015, 06:58:40 AM »

Yes I know some Danish - I am meant to have intermediate level of Danish.

I have lived in Copenhagen, fantastic city (And I will be back pretty soon, hopefully to stay for a while)

Does it mean they will have a coalition pretty soon?
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #239 on: September 04, 2015, 06:59:21 AM »

And yes I am "meant to have" intermediate level on paper, but many typos ... Smiley havent used it for a while.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #240 on: September 04, 2015, 07:15:14 AM »

Does it mean they will have a coalition pretty soon?

Probably
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #241 on: September 04, 2015, 07:21:51 AM »

Unfortunately, I cannot read Faroese. Thats my main problem to follow the developments there.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #242 on: September 04, 2015, 07:37:43 AM »

Unfortunately, I cannot read Faroese. Thats my main problem to follow the developments there.

Yeah, there is no Google Translate to give you a rough idea like Icelandic

Faroese is fairly close to New Norwegian (nynorsk), which I can read, so I normally understand the general idea of what is being said, but not always the details.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2015, 08:49:58 AM »

You are in any case very well informed of developments all around the globe as I can see in other threads like the Portuguese or Greek elections. That is really impressive.

Faroese seems hard, but Danish is also hard. I will need to retake it once I am back, and learn it better (and talk to people there because often people change to English when they see your Danish is bad: I know it is to make our lives easier, but the consequence is an added obstacle to learn Danish).

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #244 on: September 04, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »

Actually, I find amusing how easily they change parties during the term Smiley there was an agreement to avoid such things in Spain and they are actually very bad considered.

I think we should see it in Faroese context, there only live 50 000 people on the island, little more than a middle sized Danish municipality, which mean that Faroe have a very small elite, who all know each other, and most people know a member of Løgtinget and the talent mass are rather small. Politic in such a context will be much more personal in such a context, as such party loyalty will be much smaller, than in bigger countries, where it's much harder to work yourself up from bottom to top, and where anybody the parties suspect of being illoyal don't make it to the top. While on Faroe you can't afford throwing political talent away.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #245 on: September 04, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »

You are in any case very well informed of developments all around the globe as I can see in other threads like the Portuguese or Greek elections. That is really impressive.

Faroese seems hard, but Danish is also hard. I will need to retake it once I am back, and learn it better (and talk to people there because often people change to English when they see your Danish is bad: I know it is to make our lives easier, but the consequence is an added obstacle to learn Danish).

It's a common complain, which I fully understand; a week ago a friend of mine brought a foreign exchange student with him to a get together, as the polite people we are, we moved our conversation into English, so she could follow it.

Of course a solution could be, to simply ask people if they would keep the conversation in Danish, as you were training your Danish. I know we had a foreign supervisor at some volunteer work I did, where there was several people with limited English skill, who told, that she understood Danish, the result was that we spoke Danish to her, and she spoke English to us. So if you don't want to ask, you could simply single someone out with limited English skill and take the conversation with that person in Danish, the rest will likely shift to Danish to be polite.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #246 on: September 04, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »

Yes, indeed.

The main problem, at least for me, is not so much to understand but to get understood.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #247 on: September 04, 2015, 12:44:59 PM »

Any latest news on the Faroese side or should we wait until Monday?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #248 on: September 04, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »

Any latest news on the Faroese side or should we wait until Monday?

They are still negotiating and may as well announce during the weekend (they may be more religious than most up there, but they are not keeping the Lord's Day holy during government negotiations - at least not if Centre isn't involved).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #249 on: September 04, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »

Will it have to be a official coalition, or can there simply be a minority government? That should surely give the SD-Republic people some leeway to achieve their goals...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies