Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:46:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015 (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015  (Read 50697 times)
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2015, 02:34:15 AM »

Some reflections:

a 17 coalition could maybe be OK fo a start but weak in the long run: apparently, it is not uncommon that some MP moves from party to party during the term.

On gay marriage: my guess is that it will not be in force until next year. Last time, they introduced an opposition bill in November and was discussed in March.

I am not sure how the tempo works in the Faroese Assembly but if that is repeated, probably Politicus can say more abour this, but ame-sex marriage would not be in force until spring as earliest or thats my guess at least. Besides, they need to coordinate with the Danish authorities (as they did in Greenland). In Greenland it was approved in May and comes to force in October, but there was a lot of preparation and negotiations before for months.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2015, 03:45:10 AM »

Very naive move for him that of KLJ called earlier elections.
Would not be surprised if he tried to do anything possible to be part of a coalition with SD, even if he has to compromise big topics.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2015, 03:58:09 AM »

By the way: The second in personal votes in the social democrats, Sonja Jógvansdóttir, is openly lesbian.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2015, 04:02:21 AM »

yes she scored 3rd on personal votes.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2015, 04:07:25 AM »

when do you think the new government will be ready? few days?
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2015, 04:25:14 AM »

My bet is SD-Rep-Home Rule.

jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2015, 05:14:28 AM »

Well it is good for him because he is MP but I am not sure for the party.
And in any case his continuation as leader will depend on whether he manages to ally with SD. Have they ever been in coalition?
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2015, 06:07:01 AM »

I have no doubt that it will be approved, with this result.

What I have my doubts is when. Would they move fast and have it done within this year or will they wait until spring? I think that is pretty much the issue.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 06:36:25 AM »

A referendum can be the best solution.

Becuase if a new conservative majority in the future decided to repeal same-sex marriage, it would be more problematic to vote against the will of the people.

jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2015, 07:31:52 AM »

How long can they be trying to decide what government is formed?

is there a deadline to form the new government or to KLJ keep trying?
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2015, 07:37:38 AM »

Above 17 is also SD-UP-CP-Home Rule. Thats the card KLJ will try to play.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2015, 08:08:51 AM »

haha well, to me it sounds a bit of adversarial politics Smiley
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2015, 08:13:55 AM »

And I do not think SD will refuse to negotiate, if he has doubts about the other coalition.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »

It seems KLJ has resigned as PM and tomorrow the leader of the SD will be appointed to start negotiaitons or thats what I have been told.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »

And now? if a divided party, any chances SD looks at them?

It seems most likely SD-R-Progress. But will Progress go with the left?
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2015, 11:35:35 AM »

That Pogress Party sounds to me like Liberal Alliance in the Danish context
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2015, 11:50:59 AM »

I know you do not completely agree but I think KLJ played badly and led his party to a disaster. IF he was out, they would have another leader to do better. And I do not think this is good for him either, because he is out of everything.

jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »

Can still be claimed that the FO is more socially conservative with Sonja J the third in votes?

It looks like FO went to bed in a convent and woke up in London Soho.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »

A question: once they decide to form a coalition, either with HR or Progress, are they also obliged to announce a joint manifesto with the main points of their agreement tod evelop in the 4 years time? Or they will simply announce they will govern together?
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »

Is that an Assembly that meets often? I heard (dont know if it is right) that in Greenland they do not meet that often (maybe because of the distances, I do not know).
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2015, 03:19:36 PM »

Here in Spain there are periods where Parliament do not meet (summer, part of december and january). Otherwise they usually meet.

The legislative process takes long though (first things have to go to commission, then to plenary). I am not sure how these 33 folks work.

In a Spanish city like Madrid or Barcelona they have plenary sessions every month. But of course they are municipalities.

PD: do you think that AJ wants a broader coalition not only because 17 is too tight but also because they are not so confident of Progress Paety? Maybe it is me but I still see it a strange mix.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »

But also looking at things from Progress side, it may be true in the end that flirting with the left hitted them. They were overpolled (I think from all parties they were the most overpolled). They were constantly in 4 or 3-4 MP and they got 2 (there is a third awaiting a recount but still...)

In politics it is not just that you agree on some things and you just develop them for a period of time. Always new problems arise and new things to take into account, and in some matters the left/right economic divide may be relevant (we should not forget they come from the PP)

HR may me more unstable but they seem to be OK with almost everything to stay in.

Of course, if they ever needed any help in left-wing economic matters, they could still try to do geometrical vote in the assembly and try to get the support of CP in economic issues. But if the ruling coalition approves same-sex marriage or abortion CP will not tell them even "hello".

By the way, I read somewhere there were also big issues with the Sirian refugees, is that actually that problematic?
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »

Also, besides the 2 guys who left SD, there was one guy who left Progress.

(indeed, it can be be I am generally skeptical of these Liberal Alliance free market folks)
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2015, 05:05:17 PM »

Actually, I find amusing how easily they change parties during the term Smiley there was an agreement to avoid such things in Spain and they are actually very bad considered.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2015, 03:39:56 AM »

Yes indeed, there were only two. But previously the Progress Party is also a split of PP and I am not sure if they actually splitted during the previous term 2008-2011. And anything can happen with HR.

What is the economic situation in FO now? There was a huge crisis in the 1990s.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies