Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:45:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 306114 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: November 11, 2009, 02:14:53 AM »

When it comes to the protection of human life, I don't give a damn about regional rights.

You voted to table the Right to Life bill. Is that not a human life?

Personally, I don't think the two are comparable, but I do understand alternative points of view. I was pro-life in the past.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1351 on: November 11, 2009, 02:58:07 AM »

On the other hand, I do respect that you are sticking up for your principles regardless of its chance at success/popularity. That is commendable, and something the ARC likes to see from Senators.

Appreciated Wink

It does seem, though, that the ARC might even be sympathetic to my proposal here. After all, regardless of whether you believe a fetus constitutes human life, the issue here is capital punishment.

Considering the primary goal of the ARC is to reduce the power of the state and fight for freedom from the state, couldn't it be possible that the party comes to realize that capital punishment, a state monopoly on murder, is unacceptable?

Just a thought!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1352 on: November 11, 2009, 03:16:16 AM »

Its a freakin all out assualt on Regional Rights. If the DS wants to preserve the Death penalty that is none of anyone elses businesses. We refused to be governed by the Mideast laws, Franzl. How would you like it if we foisted ours on you? You want war, then war you shall get.

If you want to stay in the 19th century, you are free to do so, but be ready to face the consequences...
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1353 on: November 11, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »

Anti Speculation Act:

1.) On all stock market transactions will be charged a tax of 1% of the volume.

1.1) This tax is not applicable when between buying and selling is more than a year.

2.) For all foreign exchange transactions gives it generally a tax of 0.25% of the volume.

3.) All revenues flow to a Deposit insurance to protect bank depositors for banks which are in payment trouble. If a bank must take to claim this Deposit insurance, she goes on to state ownership.

This law will make short-term speculative transactions unprofitable and the money for the troubled banks comes from those who are to blame.

This is my first proposal and I think it's a bill we really need.

I agree. Tell me though, would this expand the FDIC to cover Investment banks. Currently they only insure bank deposits. I also don't much care for the idea of Investment banks thinking they can take risks and just get bailed out everytime.

I am currently working on broader regulatory reforms. I would appreciated any ideas or input you may have.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1354 on: November 11, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »

On the other hand, I do respect that you are sticking up for your principles regardless of its chance at success/popularity. That is commendable, and something the ARC likes to see from Senators.

Appreciated Wink

It does seem, though, that the ARC might even be sympathetic to my proposal here. After all, regardless of whether you believe a fetus constitutes human life, the issue here is capital punishment.

Considering the primary goal of the ARC is to reduce the power of the state and fight for freedom from the state, couldn't it be possible that the party comes to realize that capital punishment, a state monopoly on murder, is unacceptable?

Just a thought!

While I am not a member of the ARC, I will point out that murder is murder. It is my firm belief that a crime being committed by the state is never justified any more than a crime being committed by an individual actor is.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1355 on: November 14, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »

Repeal of Privacy Protection Act:

FL 31-18 is hereby repealed.

Just a note here, Franzl- this would have gone onto the Senate floor anyway, even without Tmthforu94's sponsorship. The anti-clogging language in Senate bylaws only prevents a person from having too many bills on the floor if there are other bills waiting behind them. Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1356 on: November 14, 2009, 03:57:26 PM »

Just a note here, Franzl- this would have gone onto the Senate floor anyway, even without Tmthforu94's sponsorship. The anti-clogging language in Senate bylaws only prevents a person from having too many bills on the floor if there are other bills waiting behind them. Smiley

Oh didn't know that...thanks Smiley
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1357 on: November 14, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »

Why are you guys repealing this perfectly good law?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1358 on: November 14, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »

Why are you guys repealing this perfectly good law?

We're probably not, but I still think are some major issues with the way it can be abused.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1359 on: November 20, 2009, 01:37:50 PM »

I'm currently undecided about the Protection of Democracy Act, but nevertheless can spot two highly suggested changes:

1) The required minimum number of posts should include posts made in the Fantasy Government board as well as in Fantasy Elections.

2) Section 1 of the bill should be deleted. It's just far too easy for someone who isn't a zombie voter to be tied up with work, school, family, vacation or other real life matters for 5 days and miss that window. Yes, the law allows an official notice of absence, but:

a) It's too likely that a brand new voter--again, even a non-zombie--may not be aware of the requirement or understandably forget to do so in an emergency or busy stressful week. There's simply too much chance of catching innocent non-zombie voters who got busy a week after registering and doesn't discover it until their first vote in a fantasy election is disqualified. Welcome to Altasia....

b) Section 2 of the bill requiring at least 5 posts within a month of registering more than adequately meets the goal of cleaning the voting rolls of inactive zombies, but without nearly the same risk to innocent newbies that Section 1 poses.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1360 on: December 01, 2009, 10:06:57 PM »

Marokai's new proposal is interesting.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1361 on: December 04, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2009, 01:16:11 AM by cinyc »

Can a Senator please sponsor the following bill?:

Government Workers Finally Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is Bill
Realizing that our rising budget deficit can not be left unattended indefinitely, the fundamental unfairness of our punitively high income tax rates and unconscionable limits on private sector compensation, and that we must make efforts for our politicians to become less hypocritical, as 100% of government workers' salaries are funded by the Atlasian citizenry, the Senate hereby authorizes the following comprehensive changes to our income tax system and laws:

1.  The taxable income of Senators, the President, Vice President and other elected or appointed officials of the legislative and executive branches of the Atlasian federal government ("Atlasian Government Officials") shall be taxed at the highest marginal rate provided for under Atlasian federal law, without regard to the taxable income of such Atlasian Government Official in any taxable year.  

2.  No Atlasian Government Official shall be entitled to take any credit, deduction or other allowance against that Atlasian Government Official's income if any other Atlasian citizen is not entitled to or phased out from taking such credit, deduction or allowance due to that citizen's income.

3.  No Atlasian Government Official or other Atlasian federal government employee may receive any bonus or other non-periodical compensation of any type at any time during which the Atlasian federal government restricts or otherwise limits the ability of any Atlasian company to compensate its employees in any manner whatsoever.

4(a) The Atlasian federal government shall create a "Tax Me More Fund".  Any Atlasian citizen who believes that Atlasian federal taxes are too low for any other Atlasian citizen may contribute the amount by which that citizen believes such taxes are too low into the Tax Me More Fund.  No tax deduction, credit or other allowance may be taken by any citizen for any contribution to the Tax Me More Fund.
(b) The President Pro-Tempore of the Senate shall keep and publish a "hypocrites list" of Senators who vote in favor of any increase in Atlasian federal taxes but does not contribute to the Tax Me More Fund.  The hypocrites list shall be maintained in a post on the Atlasian Federal Government board.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1362 on: December 04, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »

Can a Senator please sponsor the following bill?:

Government Workers Finally Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is Bill
Realizing that our rising budget deficit can not be left unattended indefinitely, the fundamental unfairness of our punitively high income tax rates and unconscionable limits on private sector compensation, and that we must make efforts for our politicians to become less hypocritical, as 100% of government workers' salaries are funded by the Atlasian citizenry, the Senate hereby authorizes the following comprehensive changes to our income tax system and laws:

1.  The taxable income of Senators, the President, Vice President and other elected or appointed officials of the legislative and executive branches of the Atlasian federal government ("Atlasian Government Officials") shall be taxed at the highest marginal rate provided for under Atlasian federal law, without regard to the taxable income of such Atlasian Government Official in any taxable year.  

2.  No Atlasian Government Official shall be entitled to take any credit, deduction or other allowance against that Atlasian Government Official's income if any other Atlasian citizen is not entitled to or phased out from taking such credit, deduction or allowance due to that citizen's income.

3.  No Atlasian Government Official or other Atlasian federal government employee may receive any bonus or other non-periodical compensation of any type at any time during which the Atlasian federal government restricts or otherwise limits the ability of any Atlasian company to compensate its employees in any manner whatsoever.

4(a) The Atlasian federal government shall create a "Tax Me More Fund".  Any Atlasian citizen who believes that Atlasian federal income taxes are too low for any other Atlasian citizen may contribute the amount by which that citizen believes such taxes are too low into the Tax Me Fund.  No tax deduction, credit or other allowance may be taken by any citizen who contributes to the Tax Me More Fund.
(b) The President Pro Tempore of the Senate shall keep and publish a "hypocrites list" of Senators who vote in favor of any increase in Atlasian federal taxes but does not contribute to the Tax Me More Fund.  The hypocrites list shall be maintained in a post on the Atlasian Federal Government board.

Purple heart cinyc
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1363 on: December 04, 2009, 09:12:27 PM »

Stupidity over serious policy.

And if any Senator introduces it, I'll be striking it from the que unless my actions are overridden. Just saying.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1364 on: December 04, 2009, 09:13:11 PM »

Future Senator Mint will gladly sponsor it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1365 on: December 04, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »

This also runs into fourth wall issues.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1366 on: December 04, 2009, 09:13:41 PM »

Future Senator Mint will gladly sponsor it.

Good luck with that. Enjoy the inevitable veto threat.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1367 on: December 04, 2009, 09:14:28 PM »

And if any Senator introduces it, I'll be striking it from the que unless my actions are overridden. Just saying.

Playing politics as PPT is what's stupidity. I could have stricken crap I thought useless as PPT but I didn't because it's not the right thing to do unless it's spam which this obviously isn't.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1368 on: December 04, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »

Oh, it's a serious policy - Senators should do unto themselves what they do to others.  Otherwise, they'll never feel the effects of what they do.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1369 on: December 04, 2009, 09:20:13 PM »

Let it through. It's not as if there's a chance in hell of it passing. It's not like there's a queue that it would impede.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1370 on: December 04, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »

Let it through. It's not as if there's a chance in hell of it passing. It's not like there's a queue that it would impede.

I suppose it would be amusing to actually let cinyc attempt to defend the idea. Go ahead, someone sponsor it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1371 on: December 04, 2009, 09:23:06 PM »

I suppose it would be amusing to actually let cinyc attempt to defend the idea. Go ahead, someone sponsor it.

Why do you need to tell anyone to sponsor it? Too lazy to even do THAT yourself?

Why would I sponsor a bill I don't support? I've no desire to be a legislation dispenser.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1372 on: December 04, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »

Why do you need to tell anyone to sponsor it? Too lazy to even do THAT yourself?

Why would I sponsor a bill I don't support? I've no desire to be a legislation dispenser.

Franzl did it recently, I believe. And tmth did it on behalf of Franzl as well.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1373 on: December 04, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »

Franzl did it recently.

And I'm not Franzl.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1374 on: December 04, 2009, 09:25:32 PM »

Playing politics as PPT is what's stupidity. I could have stricken crap I thought useless as PPT but I didn't because it's not the right thing to do unless it's spam which this obviously isn't.

I strike something when I find it to be ludicrous and not at all meant to be taken seriously. I did it once before with a left-wing Senator, so I'm not playing politics here. This is stupid, everyone knows it would never pass and no one actually considers this a serious proposal unless they're trolls. No one who complained about taxes (except Vepres) actually popped in with their complaints, but now people like cinyc are prancing around with this nonsense. Spare me, MJ.

Oh, and don't talk to me about conduct as an official.

My policy was to let anything threw unless it was spam and it worked just fine and no one complained. Who cares if it won't pass, it can still be debated and something could come from that. You as PPT are not supposed to stop that.

And I'll speak my peace whenever I want and I'll talk about conduct. It's not like I care what people think. If you don't like it? Oh boy, it's the internent, if people hate me they're so tough!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies