CO-PPP: Gardner+2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:36:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  CO-PPP: Gardner+2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CO-PPP: Gardner+2  (Read 4348 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »

652 likely Colorado voters, Sept. 19 to Sept. 21:

47-45 Gardner/Udall

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2014/09/25/another-day-another-poll-shows-dead-heat-mark-udall-cory-gardner/113238

https://twitter.com/ppppolls
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2014, 11:17:05 AM by IDS Emperor Maxwell »

Excellent news! Still within the margin of error, but this may actually be winnable finally.

Gardner would have to be outside the margin of error by election day in order to be decently sure of his election. Buck was ahead by 1 in the last poll, but Bennet won by 2.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 11:14:01 AM »

Oh **** Sad
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 11:14:33 AM »

BOOYAH! Grin
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »

Decent.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 11:20:13 AM »

I still have strong faith in the CO Republican Party to blow this in the end ...
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »

That would line up with Gardner losing by a couple of points, same as Buck did.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »

Uh oh. RIP Udall. Sad
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2014, 11:27:36 AM by backtored »

Excellent news! Still within the margin of error, but this may actually be winnable finally.

Gardner would have to be outside the margin of error by election day in order to be decently sure of his election. Buck was ahead by 1 in the last poll, but Bennet won by 2.

1.) Unless you're on a Marist-only polling diet, the race has been essentially tied for the entire campaign.

2.) You're right about the lessons learned from Buck/Bennet.  With the exception of the low-turnout off-year 2013 conservative fiesta, the GOP in Colorado has frequently underperformed on Election Day.  Maybe 2013 was a signal of a realigned, GOP-leaning electorate, but otherwise I have to assume that the GOP will probably not do quite as well as the polling suggests.  We'll see.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »

Crosstabs.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »

1.) Unless you're on a Marist-only polling diet, the race has been essentially tied for the entire campaign.

2.) You're right about the lessons learned from Buck/Bennet.  With the exception of the low-turnout off-year 2013 conservative fiesta, the GOP in Colorado has frequently underperformed on Election Day.  Maybe 2013 was a signal of a realigned, GOP-leaning electorate, but otherwise I have to assume that the GOP will probably not do quite as well as the polling suggests.  We'll see.

To address 1), Gardner was doing fine enough, but with Udall barely ahead, it was bound to be Udall favorable, and to be fair, I wasn't really sure Gardner had what it takes. I'm still not, but he's proving me wrong.

That would line up with Gardner losing by a couple of points, same as Buck did.

The last PPP poll in Colorado that year had Buck up 1. Gardner up 2 suggests an incredibly narrow victory for Udall. If Gardner is up 3 or more by election day, he probably wins it.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 11:37:03 AM »

R +1.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »

I think those assuming that a 3 point error in one election (within the margin of error) is indicative of some systemic polling bias are potentially guilty of a Type I error. Udall underperformed the polls in 2008, which seems just as likely for Udall to replicate as a repeat of Bennet's 2010 upset.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 11:39:14 AM »

F[inks]ing Yes!
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2014, 11:44:33 AM by backtored »

I think those assuming that a 3 point error in one election (within the margin of error) is indicative of some systemic polling bias are potentially guilty of a Type I error. Udall underperformed the polls in 2008, which seems just as likely for Udall to replicate as a repeat of Bennet's 2010 upset.

Exactly.  But even assuming that PPP is off by three points every single Colorado election, this is still not bad at all for Gardner.

Didn't PPP actually overestimate Obama's performance in Colorado by a point or two, anyway?

Moreover, I'm not on for picking apart crosstabs, because it is usually a fruitless exercise far beyond my credentials, but I'll just note that the sample in the PPP poll actually has more Democrats than Republicans as well as a 14% Hispanic sample.  There has been a lot of talk around here about Latinos staying home in protest of the White House immigration executive order delay.  In fact, I've seen that discussion in the national press, too, so I suspect that it is something that Democrats really are worried about.  I can't imagine an electorate any more D-leaning than what PPP has produced here, and still the Republicans leads by two.  Good stuff.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »

Hahahaha! Even PPP? Good people are taking the treasury back!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »

Either way, some of the crosstabs are troubling - While Independents are tied (undecideds there would be very Gardner-leaning is my guess), 10% of Democrats are undecided, and once most, if not all, come home, then Udall gets a decent sized boost.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 11:44:45 AM »

Exactly.  But even assuming that PPP is off by three points every single Colorado election, this is still not bad at all for Gardner.

Didn't PPP actually overestimate Obama's performance in Colorado by a point or two, anyway?

PPP had Obama 52-46,  result was 51.45-46.09
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 11:48:41 AM »

Exactly.  But even assuming that PPP is off by three points every single Colorado election, this is still not bad at all for Gardner.

PPP had Obama 52-46,  result was 51.45-46.09

Therefore Gardner is really up 2.64 points instead of merely two.

I'm kidding.  I'm kidding.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »

Oh sh*t. This is bad.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 12:38:18 PM »

Vote by mail could give Udall a small boost too.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »

That said, I still think Udall wins unless Gardner has a clean lead before voting starts.
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »

Vote by mail could give Udall a small boost too.

I'm sure that that is being incorporated into pollsters' turnout models.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 12:56:08 PM »

Udall has a shot with undecideds - they are mostly somewhat liberal or moderate.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »

What's interesting is that Gardner is leading by 2 in a sample that's almost 70% pro-choice. Either Colorado really is Libertarian or Udall is running a sh**tty campaign.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies