PA-Muhlenberg: Wolf up 21 points
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:49:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  PA-Muhlenberg: Wolf up 21 points
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA-Muhlenberg: Wolf up 21 points  (Read 2169 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2014, 11:41:33 PM »

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworld/pennsylvania/mc-pa-corbett-wolf-poll-20140920-story.html#page=1

Wolf 52
Corbett 31

Dominating!
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:08:52 AM »

TOSSUP!!!!! /sabato
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 12:18:58 AM »

Something interesting I've noticed...

Reliable non-partisan polls of this race:
Muhlenberg - Wolf +21
Quinnipiac - Wolf +24
F&M - Wolf +25

Partisan polls:
Harper - Wolf +11
Magellan - Wolf +12

Crappy polls:
YouGov - Wolf +11

Of course, nobody really cares about these differences since it's a blowout win for Wolf no matter who you believe. But the fact that there's a substantial 10 point gap between these firms is pretty interesting. In closer races, a 10 point gap would paint an incredibly different picture of any given race. I'm not saying if you tack 10 points on to the Democrat for any Harper/Magellan/YouGov poll you get reality (obviously not, since that would give Braley a double digit lead, among many other oddities), but it's interesting nevertheless.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:25:57 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2014, 04:18:12 AM by When the leaves burn, summer ends. »

I'm sure that many congressional/various local candidates are concerned about the size of the margin.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 03:07:41 AM »

Lean D. Pennsylvania really likes incumbents! (Cook)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 08:10:21 AM »

I think Wolf's coattails will be enough for the Democrats to make major gains in the state House, and take control of the State Senate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:38:31 AM »

I'm sure that many congressional/various local candidates are concerned about the size of the margin.

This puts exactly zero House seats in play.
KCDem

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »

This puts exactly zero House seats in play.

Your boneheadedness is getting old.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17yr9mcAtuUdNjI9NEPYKxXsEldzzQ2ZaDwEAbnPRyS4/edit#gid=243225914
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »

Uh. What does that prove?

Let's make a little bet, KC! If any GOP Congressional seat in PA is lost to the Dems in 2014, I'll leave the Forum. Forever. You must think there is at least one seat in play so show some guts and agree to leave for only a month - just one, full month! - if no seat flips from R to D in PA in 2014.
KCDem

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »

Let's make a little bet, KC! If any GOP Congressional seat in PA is lost to the Dems in 2014, I'll leave the Forum. Forever. You must think there is at least one seat in play so show some guts and agree to leave for only a month - just one, full month! - if no seat flips from R to D in PA in 2014.

I never claimed that the Democrats would win a seat. You're the one who refuses to accept the fact that there is a lot of uncertainty with regard to what is going on down ballot in Pennsylvania. Since you're so certain, I encourage you to share substantiated proof of your certainty.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »

Yeah, there's no way that Wolf's victory, no matter how huge, could flip a US congressional race.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »

Yeah, there's no way that Wolf's victory, no matter how huge, could flip a US congressional race.

It definitely could flip some state house and state senate races though
KCDem

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 10:13:36 AM »

See, this certainty is unwarranted. If Republican turnout is dampened we COULD have a surprise in the 6th and the 8th. Not saying we will, but it could happen.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 10:23:08 AM »

See, this certainty is unwarranted. If Republican turnout is dampened we COULD have a surprise in the 6th and the 8th. Not saying we will, but it could happen.

No, no it won't happen. I wish it would, but it won't this year.

It definitely could flip some state house and state senate races though

I said that a couple posts above. Control of the State Senate is definitely in play.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »

Yeah, Wolf's (potential) coattails on their own probably wouldn't be enough for Trivedi or Strouse. They're going to need some other type of opening/game changer in addition to that in order to win.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »

Winning isn't actually everything. With these House races coming up again every two years sometimes just beating expectations is important.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »

Why would Republican turn out be dampened when they have the momentum nation wide?
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 12:52:55 PM »

Not sure why pollsters are still wasting money in Pennsylvania.  The race is pretty much done.  There is no way Corbett comes back from this.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 02:31:31 PM »

Not sure why pollsters are still wasting money in Pennsylvania.  The race is pretty much done.  There is no way Corbett comes back from this.

Because Pennsylvania pollsters are always going to poll important Pennsylvania races.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 03:06:08 PM »

New Poll: Pennsylvania Governor by Muhlenberg College on 2014-09-18

Summary: D: 54%, R: 33%, I: 4%, U: 9%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »

I never claimed that the Democrats would win a seat. You're the one who refuses to accept the fact that there is a lot of uncertainty with regard to what is going on down ballot in Pennsylvania. Since you're so certain, I encourage you to share substantiated proof of your certainty.

There's zero uncertainty when it comes to the Congressional races. State legislature? Sure. Congressional? No.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 08:52:50 PM »

There's zero uncertainty when it comes to the Congressional races. State legislature? Sure. Congressional? No.
So, even if F&M is right and Wolf wins by 31 (I doubt it, but it's within the realm of possibility), you don't see the 6th and/or 8th district congressional seat(s) flipping? It's worth noting that most prognosticators still have at least one of these two seats at only Likely R, which indicates a small level of uncertainty in the outcome of the race.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »

So, even if F&M is right and Wolf wins by 31 (I doubt it, but it's within the realm of possibility), you don't see the 6th and/or 8th district congressional seat(s) flipping? It's worth noting that most prognosticators still have at least one of these two seats at only Likely R, which indicates a small level of uncertainty in the outcome of the race.

Read this perfectly clear post: I absolutely do not see that happening. The Gubernatorial race has had zero impact on those races. If either was to flip, it would be unrelated to Corbett. Either Fitz or Costello would have to make some fairly sizable gaffe. Other than that, neither will flip even if Wolf won by thirty points.

If either seat flips, I leave this place for good. Write it down.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies