Who will win in Kansas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 03:08:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will win in Kansas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who will win in Kansas?
Pat Roberts (R), I

Greg Orman (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Who will win in Kansas?  (Read 3537 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 01:53:22 AM »

Honestly, seeing as there are seemigly no limits to the lengths that Kris Kobach will go to to ensure that Roberts wins, I'm starting to question whether it is even possible to have a fair election in Kansas at this point. If there's any way for Kobach to somehow steal this election for Roberts, I tend to think that he will do it. The man appears to have zero morals.

But the thing I don't understand is, what does Kobach get out of this deal? It's one thing to stand by Roberts, but at this point Kobach is expending a substantial amount of his own good will and political capital on highly transparent partisan shenanigans designed to prop up a relatively unpopular incumbent. What's the upside for Kobach? This can't possibly help him in his own race. Threatening to delay military ballots? That attack ad practically writes itself.

The upside is that he'll be able to call in favors once he inevitably runs for Governor. If Brownback/Roberts are defeated, he'll probably end up going down as well. Even if he managed to scrape by, it wouldn't bode well for his political future.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 03:18:23 AM »

Honestly, seeing as there are seemigly no limits to the lengths that Kris Kobach will go to to ensure that Roberts wins, I'm starting to question whether it is even possible to have a fair election in Kansas at this point. If there's any way for Kobach to somehow steal this election for Roberts, I tend to think that he will do it. The man appears to have zero morals.

But the thing I don't understand is, what does Kobach get out of this deal? It's one thing to stand by Roberts, but at this point Kobach is expending a substantial amount of his own good will and political capital on highly transparent partisan shenanigans designed to prop up a relatively unpopular incumbent. What's the upside for Kobach? This can't possibly help him in his own race. Threatening to delay military ballots? That attack ad practically writes itself.

What do you mean? The whole purpose of a Republican Secretary of State is to do what he needs to do to maximize the odds of Republicans winning more important races.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »

Here's my personal feeling how this eventually ends up:

49% Roberts
48% Orman
3% Batson

Narrowest race of the night, but Roberts hangs on. We'll see if these poll numbers hold on, and if they do in another two weeks or so, then congrats Senator-elect Greg Orman.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 02:13:30 PM »

Here's my personal feeling how this eventually ends up:

49% Roberts
48% Orman
3% Batson

Narrowest race of the night, but Roberts hangs on. We'll see if these poll numbers hold on, and if they do in another two weeks or so, then congrats Senator-elect Greg Orman.

I agree (reluctantly)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »

Roberts, as some mod Repubs will swing back when they realize the national implications.

BTW, I just noticed that if Orman wins, Kansas' two Senators will be anagrams of each other (Moran, Orman).
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 02:23:51 AM »

If Maine as a pretty much non-religious and liberal state can continue to send a Republican to the Senate despite the obvious bad consequences for the state, then why shouldn't Kansas (which today is much more moderate than people think, ideology-wise it is just slightly more conservative than the national average according to Gallup's 2014 numbers) send a moderate independent who still is not sure which caucus to vote with? Of course they can. If they're unsatisfied with his voting record, they can always scrap him in 6 years from now.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 05:14:37 AM »

Hmmmm... this is very much a nailbiter... Roberts, VERY narrowly, and this could be subject to change (haven't done my Senate predictions yet)
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 05:16:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies