What if John Kerry would've competed against George Bush in 1992?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:16:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if John Kerry would've competed against George Bush in 1992?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if John Kerry would've competed against George Bush in 1992?  (Read 1220 times)
MrCleveland
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2014, 09:28:47 PM »

I know John Kerry tried to topple GWB in 2004, but would've it been better if John Kerry would've been the president in 1992 than in 2004...yes or no?

This nation is an opinion-nation BTW!
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »

John Kerry isn't Presidential material, no matter the year.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »

I think that Kerry kind of fits the Mitt Romney mold; both are wealthy men, just like almost every other serious presidential candidate has been in recent history, but the difference is that neither is able to connect with average Americans and convince them that they understand the concerns of ordinary middle- and working-class voters.  Both men faced candidates that were probably beatable incumbents.  And I think that only Clinton could have won in 1992, and even then only narrowly, after a combination of factors had worked in his favor (recession, Perot, No New Taxes, etc.)

It's unfortunate men like Kerry and Romney, both bipartisan consensus-builders, both with substantive experience (Kerry on foreign policy / military experience, Romney as an executive in government and a very successful business career, etc.), both of whom would probably have made competent presidents, were unable to run good campaigns and emotionally connect with the electorate.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 10:58:51 PM »

Kerry had a few problems in 1992. His Senate career wasn't as notable. He was single, having been divorced for a few years. Primary opponents would include his predecessor Paul Tsongas and Bob Kerrey, a Senator with a similar name and Medal of Honor.

In 2004, his profile was raised by the leaks that he had been on Gore's shortlist. There was a war going on, so Democrats felt that a war hero with an understanding of Washington would be a good nominee, especially in contrast to W.

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 11:05:10 PM »

I sincerely hope OP's first language isn't english.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 04:40:08 AM »

And I think that only Clinton could have won in 1992, and even then only narrowly, after a combination of factors had worked in his favor (recession, Perot, No New Taxes, etc.)

For most of 1992, George HW Bush had an approval rating of 40% or less and a disapproval rating of 50% or more. Any half competent nominee, including John Kerry, would have won.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 04:59:33 AM »

And I think that only Clinton could have won in 1992, and even then only narrowly, after a combination of factors had worked in his favor (recession, Perot, No New Taxes, etc.)

For most of 1992, George HW Bush had an approval rating of 40% or less and a disapproval rating of 50% or more. Any half competent nominee, including John Kerry, would have won.

And to completely destroy the myth that we needed Clinton to win in 1992, in this poll Tsongas led Bush by 5, while Clinton led by only 2.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-03-11/news/9203110549_1_margin-of-error-bush-tsongas
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »

And to completely destroy the myth that we needed Clinton to win in 1992, in this poll Tsongas led Bush by 5, while Clinton led by only 2.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-03-11/news/9203110549_1_margin-of-error-bush-tsongas

Yes but Perot's presence in the race also greatly contributed.  Not to mention the fact that Clinton is a lot more charismatic than Tsongas, and a much more rigorous campaigner.  I think Clinton's ground game and charm with voters was a major factor in his victory, and that Tsongas might have fizzled in a general election.  After all, he didn't really attempt to distance himself from Reaganomics in the way that Clinton did, although he might have actually eaten up some of Perot's supporters with his tough talk on the deficit:

http://www.4president.org/brochures/paultsongas1992brochure.htm
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies