ME-Rasmussen: In SHOCK poll, Collins (R) drops below 60 ;-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:32:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  ME-Rasmussen: In SHOCK poll, Collins (R) drops below 60 ;-)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ME-Rasmussen: In SHOCK poll, Collins (R) drops below 60 ;-)  (Read 3410 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:04:27 AM »

Maine Senate: Collins (R) 59%, Bellows (D) 31%

The survey of 750 Likely Voters in Maine was conducted on September 3-4, 2014 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 4 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2014/maine/election_2014_maine_senate

Bellowsmentum !
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:09:27 AM »

"Collins below 60? Likely Democrat" - KCDem
KCDem

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:12:45 AM »

"Collins below 60? Likely Democrat" - KCDem

You beat me to it! But I was thinking more Tossup/Tilt R...
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »

> Rasmussen
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »

>Rass. She's still gonna win. Quit bashing her because she's a Republican. If you're gonna do that on party only, you clearly have no idea what she's really like
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:53:43 AM »

>Rass. She's still gonna win. Quit bashing her because she's a Republican. If you're gonna do that on party only, you clearly have no idea what she's really like

Who's bashing her?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »

I hate Republican hawk "moderates". I like other Republicans. Deal with it.

I hope Bellows could sneak a win, but the best I can hope for is her to cross 40. She's my favorite Democrat candidate this year.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 12:00:30 PM »

I hope Bellows could sneak a win, but the best I can hope for is her to cross 40. She's my favorite Democrat candidate this year.

If Bellows "sneaks a win", then it would probably mean that 2014 is Democratic Wave year of epic proportions.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »

Who's bashing her?

On a poll that said she was dominating, people were reacting in disgust
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »

If Bellows "sneaks a win", then it would probably mean that 2014 is Democratic Wave year of epic proportions.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »

Susan Collins is worse than Ted Cruz
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »

Actually I'm pretty sure it would take the Republican Party literally self destructing and ceasing to exist for that to occur. She beat a solid opponent who represented half the state by 22 points even in the Dem wave year of 2008.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 12:06:24 PM »

Who's bashing her?

On a poll that said she was dominating, people were reacting in disgust

What do you expect on a forum with a liberal and libertarian bias?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »

She is FAR to the left of cruz.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »

Susan Collins votes with Mitch McConnell and Ted Cruz on basically everything of importance. She's just as far-right in practice as the rest of them.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »

Susan Collins votes with Mitch McConnell and Ted Cruz on basically everything of importance. She's just as far-right in practice as the rest of them.

This.

I don't understand how democrats can vote for her. I mean, she basically voted against the $10 dollars increase...
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »

I'll have what he's smoking
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »

I'll have what he's smoking
Moderate heroes typically are the most dangerous people in politics. As I've always said when it comes to Norman Thomas or Bernie Sanders (or Allen West or Ted Cruz): I rather know what I'm getting.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »

At the end of the day, Susan Collins is still a Republican. The people of Maine don't realize that a vote for Collins is a vote to give Republicans control of the Senate.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »

At the end of the day, Susan Collins is still a Republican. The people of Maine don't realize that a vote for Collins is a vote to give Republicans control of the Senate.

I wish they would make ads that emphasized this.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 04:28:31 PM »

I wish they would make ads that emphasized this.
It wouldn't matter. If they didn't realize and care about it in 1996, 2002, and 2008, why are they going to do so now?

National Journal disagrees with you. In its 2013 vote rankings, Ted Cruz is rated the 4th most conservative senator, Collins is the most moderate republican in the senate (!). (McConnell, for the record, is at 25th most conservative)

------------------------------

Here's the thing. Although Collins is to the right of Snowe (R-ME; Retired in '12), she remains moderate enough for the state of Maine, and if she was any more moderate, she'd be to the left of at least one democrat. She is nowhere near Mike Lee/Ted Cruz types of republicans in any way, shape, or form. She faced credible opponents in 96, 02, and 08, and aside from 96, she has always won by over 15 points. Bellows is her lowest-tier opponent yet, and she's not going to win no matter what. I'll be surprised if this race is within 20 points.

She's as safe, if not safer, as Risch in ID, Lankford and Inhofe in OK, and Alexander in TN.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 04:58:13 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2014, 05:34:03 PM by CrabCake »

Maine is a small state, and small states like to keep their senators for ages to get the goodies senior congresspeople can bring. Perhaps this tendency will change as the national mood and budget hawkery kills off "earmark culture" - I think the sun has set on the Ted Stevens/Dan Inouye/Rob Byrd types for good.

The best Bellows can do is hope to outperform Allen. Not entirely beyond the realms of possibility - 2014 reflects a vastly more polarised electorate than 2008, with more "one party" voters - but still unlikely given the political weather and the weaker ( Cry sorry Bellows ) candidate.
NHLiberal

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »

Maine is a small state, and small states like to keep their senators for ages to get the goodies senior congresspeople can bring. Perhaps this tendency will change as the national mood and budget hawkery kills off "earmark culture" - I think the sun has set on the Ted Stevens/Dan Inouye/Rob Byrd types for good.

The best Bellows can do is hope to outperform Allen. Not entirely beyond the realms of possibility - 2014 reflects a vastly more polarised electorate than 2008, with more "one party" voters - but still unlikely given the political weather and the weaker ( Cry sorry Bellowes ) candidate.

I'd actually wager that Bellows will narrowly outperform Allen, partly due to the increased polarization you speak of but more so because Bellows presents a starker contrast to Collins than Allen did. There's a small but significant chunk of Democrats/Democratic-leaning independents voters who approve of Collins, enough to vote for her in 2008, and would vote for her again in 2014 under certain circumstances but are very excited by Bellows and her ideas despite understanding her inability to win. It's the same reason that Scott Brown likely would have beaten a more moderate/generic Democrat in 2012; most were casting a vote for Elizabeth Warren rather than against Scott Brown.

Not that it will be much different, but maybe 2-3 points. It has nothing to do with Bellows being a better candidate than Allen (because obviously she isn't).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 05:23:31 PM »

She voted to filibuster just about everything the Democrats opposed. She's not remotely moderate. There are no liberal or moderate Republicans in the Senate any more. Javitts was a liberal Republican and Chafee was a moderate Republican.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2014, 05:32:55 PM by FreedomHawk »

So what? The people of Maine care about the person and the issues, not the party. Collins is a good person who lines up with their ideas and is known for pushing the idea of working together, which is why Snowe and King are also so beloved, but LePage and Baldacci are so lukewarm there. If you're really going to say pushing to work together to END the gridlock is less important than a letter after someone's name and maintaining muh majority, then I have no respect for you whatsoever.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies