Ask a Southern American..
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 07:17:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ask a Southern American..
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Ask a Southern American..  (Read 12643 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2005, 06:14:42 PM »

Yeah, one guy.  What a trend we have here.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2005, 06:14:53 PM »

Hmm, you just earned yourself two report to moderators.  Learn to post links so others don't have to see sh!t like that. 

Sorry Jake, I didn't mean to offend.  My intent was genuinely to wake people up to their violence heritage. 

Violence heritage? It has been my impression that you believe these things still happen in the South.

Well, they do drag blacks behind their pickup trucks occasionally.  But nowadays they are somewhat restrained by the memory of Federal intervention during the liberal era.  Still, they have the same attitudes and the same culture of hate.

Just curious, how many times have you been in the South?
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2005, 06:16:17 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2005, 06:19:12 PM by TX_1824 »

opebo,

You really are a simple pathetic little man. Why not post some pictures of the holocaust? Since you hate religion, I would assume you supported the Nazis in the attempted extermination of the Jews and the outlawing of Christianity. Since feeding Christians to lions is fine by you, killing Jews and putting them in ovens would also be fine by you. You are as much a part of the culture of hate as those whose lynched blacks in the south during late 19th century to the 1960's.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2005, 06:17:41 PM »

opebo,

You really are a simple pathetic little man. Why not post some pictures of the holocaust? Since you hate religion, I would assume you supported the Nazis in the attempted extermination of the Jews and the outlawing of Christianity. Since feeding Christians to lions is fine by you, killing Jews and putting them in ovens would also be fine by you.

We have a winner for best point of the day.  Nice post Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2005, 06:21:16 PM »

About half a dozen times.   And your point is well taken, I was neither lynched, nor did I witness any lynchings.

Of course some people say Missouri is part of the South.

opebo,
You really are a simple pathetic little man. Why not post some pictures of the holocaust?

You seem peeved.  Is it possible that photos of your Southern Past discomfit you?

Speaking of the holocaust, Hitler was a good christian boy, and Naziism was quite comfortable with German christianity and vice versa.  It was a movement towards 'traditional German values' - sounds familiar eh?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2005, 06:21:57 PM »

i do recall opebo saying that jews are more tolerable than most religious.

i assume he thinks they are tolerable because 1.  they mainly live up north.  2. they vote overwhelmingly democrat.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2005, 06:24:34 PM »

i do recall opebo saying that jews are more tolerable than most religious.

i assume he thinks they are tolerable because 1.  they mainly live up north.  2. they vote overwhelmingly democrat.

Yes, and 3) there are very few of them, and 4) the great majority of them are not very religious.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2005, 06:26:55 PM »

Speaking of the holocaust, Hitler was a good christian boy, and Naziism was quite comfortable with German christianity and vice versa.  It was a movement towards 'traditional German values' - sounds familiar eh?

What the  are you talking about? Catholics were oppressed in Nazi Germany. In churches, the Bible was banned and replaced by Mein Kampf. You are truly ignorant.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »

About half a dozen times.   And your point is well taken, I was neither lynched, nor did I witness any lynchings.

Of course some people say Missouri is part of the South.

opebo,
You really are a simple pathetic little man. Why not post some pictures of the holocaust?

You seem peeved.  Is it possible that photos of your Southern Past discomfit you?

Speaking of the holocaust, Hitler was a good christian boy, and Naziism was quite comfortable with German christianity and vice versa.  It was a movement towards 'traditional German values' - sounds familiar eh?

The pictures themselves don't bother me more than your continual assumption of how things are in the south today. As someone from New York and now living in the south, I did notice racial tensions from time-to-time, but nothing to the extent that you so spout from your pulpit. What I witnessed here was no different from what I witnessed in Harlem, Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx.

German values had nothing to do with Christianity. It was about perfecting the aryan race and the overall structure of a greater Germany. Nazis were into the occult and the past history of the German knights.  My father was a victom of such "perfection" as he was a Jew living in Poland from 1943-1945 he was held in one concentration camp to another being shipped around to stay ahead of the advancing Americans and Soviets.

If you are going to constently make erroneous arguments about southerners and those of any faith, than I can only assume that you supported the mass killings of Jews and other "undesirables" as your ideal world would be the elimination of religion of any kind.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2005, 10:03:06 PM »

Hmm, you just earned yourself two report to moderators.  Learn to post links so others don't have to see sh!t like that. 

Sorry Jake, I didn't mean to offend.  My intent was genuinely to wake people up to their violence heritage. 

Violence heritage? It has been my impression that you believe these things still happen in the South.

Well, they do drag blacks behind their pickup trucks occasionally. 
The jokers who did that got the death penalty
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2005, 10:07:28 PM »

What the f**ck are you talking about? Catholics were oppressed in Nazi Germany. In churches, the Bible was banned and replaced by Mein Kampf. You are truly ignorant.

A Catholic centrist party helped bring Hitler to power. Only the Communists and Social Democrats opposed Hitler.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2005, 10:12:02 PM »

What the f**ck are you talking about? Catholics were oppressed in Nazi Germany. In churches, the Bible was banned and replaced by Mein Kampf. You are truly ignorant.

A Catholic centrist party helped bring Hitler to power. Only the Communists and Social Democrats opposed Hitler.

The only way they helped was by doing worse than the NSDAP.  The NSDAP and KPD were opposed by the non wingnut parties because it got to the point where a government couldn't be formed even when everyone but the NSDAP and KPD were united. That's why you look at a German Chancellor list and see a new one every year in the 1920s and early 30s.
Cashcow

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2005, 12:03:25 AM »

Ok.  Just checking.  I actually consider myself to be southern, too.   What made you decide to move to Florida?

A certain lady. Wink

Terri Schiavo?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2005, 12:40:38 AM »

back to the main topic of this thread.....

States, do you favor the secession of various states in the South from the United States -and not just their right to?

if so, what kind of a nation would you envision for a reprise of the Confederacy?  namely, what kinds of policies would it pursue in this day and age?  how would society be ordered in an independent South?   
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2005, 01:07:23 AM »

back to the main topic of this thread.....

States, do you favor the secession of various states in the South from the United States -and not just their right to?

if so, what kind of a nation would you envision for a reprise of the Confederacy?  namely, what kinds of policies would it pursue in this day and age?  how would society be ordered in an independent South?   

As of now I see no reason for secession. I do not support the secession of any modern day state. But I DO believe the right of a state to seperate certainly does exist.
M

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2005, 04:24:20 AM »

Oklahoma is clearly a Southern state- culturally, politically, and historically. Maryland and Delaware are historically Southern, Today, Delaware outside Wilmington, including Dover, and Maryland outside Baltimore-Washington are more-or-less Southern. About half of Missouri and nearly that of Indiana, plus could portions of Illinois and Ohio (incl Cincinnati) are Southern. South Florida, Northern Virginia, Atlanta, and other areas in the South seem more Northern now. West Texas and parts of Oklahoma are sort of Western rather than Southern (I don't believe in the Southwest, which was an LBJ campaign ploy and not a real region), but people there think of themselves as Southern. Including most Indians (yes, the term is back in vogue with the First Mongolian-Americans themselves.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2005, 07:46:13 AM »

I see my lynching photograph postings have been deleted.  How convenient for Southerners who want to live in denial of their hateful racist past. 

Censorship sucks.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2005, 08:05:46 AM »

I see my lynching photograph postings have been deleted.  How convenient for Southerners who want to live in denial of their hateful racist past. 

Censorship sucks.

Peter Bell moderates this forum.

If he really is the quintessential Southerner, then you're more ed up than I thought you were.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2005, 08:46:49 AM »

How come "Ask an American" and "Ask a Southern American" are getting deleted, while "Ask a Brit" and "Ask  a Canuck" remain? You even left undeleted an absolutely idiotic post "Ask the Fruitcake Lady" which I put up just for fun even though it involves no insightful discussion whatsoever?

Is America not part on the International scene?

In the context of the fact that the US has an entire board for itself, then questions about the US are not appropriate in the international board itself. Questions about Canada, Britain and Australia are permissible on this board.

One of the clear instructions I was given by Dave when taking this job was:

- delete or move threads that do not belong in the topic.

Given that there was no discussion in this thread that we haven't had elsewhere when I got to it, I felt it reasonable that there was no point in moving it, and that outright deletion was appropriate, but as a courtersy I give a warning of 24 hours.

If you don't like the policy that Dave has laid down, feel free to appeal to him to change it.

I'm sorry that I missed the fruitcake lady thread, it was a simple oversight on my part. That'll probably get deleted when I do these to.

I see my lynching photograph postings have been deleted. How convenient for Southerners who want to live in denial of their hateful racist past.

Censorship sucks.

Peter Bell moderates this forum.

If he really is the quintessential Southerner, then you're more ed up than I thought you were.

For the record, I did not delete these posts, so it was probably Dave.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2005, 10:59:23 AM »

Statesrights, before this gets deleted I have a serious Ask a Southerner question.  What's a good spot of beach between Mobile and Clearwater?  Wide sandy shore, inexpensive hotels which don't need reservations, fish restaurants, and few, if any, teenagers is what I have in mind.  someplace to hang in quiet and lounge with the family for a few days.  any suggestions?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2005, 11:34:47 AM »

Censorship sucks.

What a southern bastard that Dave Leip is Roll Eyes
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2005, 12:45:18 PM »

I never said the censor was Southern, just that censorship is convenient for people who want to hide an ugly, violent, racist past.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2005, 02:01:42 PM »

I've lived in the Deep South for several months and have presumably met a few Southerners, black or white usually, and as far as I can tell the seem no more or less given to violence, ugliness, or racism than those locals in other places I've lived.  I suppose I've mentioned this before to you opebo, but it seems to do no good.  Might as well tell you that whites don't really deserve to be dragged behind cadillacs, or Germans don't deserved to be accosted on the streets of South America, or that Christians don't really deserve to be fed to lions.  At some point you must recognize that when, of all people, you suggest that someone wants to run and hide from violent and racist suggestions it reeks of hypocrisy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2005, 03:17:23 PM »

Speaking of the holocaust, Hitler was a good christian boy, and Naziism was quite comfortable with German christianity and vice versa.  It was a movement towards 'traditional German values' - sounds familiar eh?

No, sorry, you are, on this count. Where did you get that absurd crap from?
While relationships between the Nazi government and the Catholic Church were not *entirely* cosy, they were a lot better than those between the Church and any previous German government post-1870.
German Lutheranism, the other big religion over here, is in essence a state cult anyways. Of course there was dissent, and of course, dissenters were oppressed, arrested, murdered (we're talking the Nazis after all)...but they do not represent the Church.
One church that *really* was suppressed and prosecuted in Nazi Germany, though I haven*t got the slightest clue as to why, is Jehova's Witnesses.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2005, 03:19:05 PM »

The Zentrum split on the vote over the Ermächtigungsgesetz (which I guess you're referring to), actually. A clear majority of its MPs voted in favor, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies