Allowing non-citizens to vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:04:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Allowing non-citizens to vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Allowing non-citizens to vote  (Read 13104 times)
zorkpolitics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2004, 07:39:49 PM »

Yes the census counts all people.  
CA has 6-7  extra districts as a result of illegals, NJ has one district because of illegals, NY has at least 2.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2004, 04:05:29 AM »

CA considers allowing non-citizens (legal or not?) to vote.  MD already does!
This seems a bit nuts to me.   If a person cares enough to want to vote, then they should care enough to follow procedures to become a US citizen.  If they don't want to give up their previous nationality, it seems reasonable they shoudl not be bale to vote.  Do we realy want non-citizens deciding close elections?

see:
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_vote12.a1179.html

(Requires free registration)

That is insane, and one of THE most dispicable things I've ever laid my eyes on.  What next?  Letting terrorists and haters of America vote??  Common, California is a state that is really pissing me off, they let people in for free, give them medical benefits and let them stay.  NOW THEY LET THEM VOTE!!  Actually this is old news, they've let them do this for years, GAH! California needs to become it's own country, save us money and save us the trouble.

I'm not a US citizen, but am I a terrorist or America hater?HuhHuh??
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2004, 10:36:39 PM »

I think the idea behind letting non citizens to vote is not to let illegal immigrants to vote, but people like my uncle. He is a Canadian who lives and works (quite legally, I might add) in South Carlolina, but isn't an American citizen.

I doubt certain people would throw such fits if they thought of it like that, rather than the evil Mexicans voting.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2004, 08:15:00 AM »

Yes the census counts all people.  
CA has 6-7  extra districts as a result of illegals, NJ has one district because of illegals, NY has at least 2.

The census attempts to count all people, including illegal immigrants. How successful it is in this is of course a matter of debate.
Cong Districts are indeed apportioned on basis of population, not citizen population.
It should be mentioned that, going by your figures, Texas must have at least 3-4 extra districts and EVs, too. Arizona might have one. Etc. Illinois maybe.
Also, notice that prison populations are also included in the equal populations of US districts, although they, too, don't vote. Obviously "one man, one vote" isn't really applied in the US...no matter who'd benefit.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2004, 09:31:47 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2004, 09:32:59 AM by volrath50 »

I think the idea behind letting non citizens to vote is not to let illegal immigrants to vote, but people like my uncle. He is a Canadian who lives and works (quite legally, I might add) in South Carlolina, but isn't an American citizen.

I doubt certain people would throw such fits if they thought of it like that, rather than the evil Mexicans voting.

No, I doubt it. Why should your uncle vote in the U.S. AND Canada? Why would that be fair? He should choose his nationality and vote accordingly.

Please point to the part of my post where I say he should be allowed to vote in the US. (Like it would make any difference in SC.) AFAIK, I did not say that, or imply that, anywhere.

All I said is I think the idea for non-citizens to vote is probably meant to apply to someone like him, not illegal immigrants. And if that had been more clear, then certain people might not have burst out in a vehemently anti-California post.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2004, 05:53:14 AM »

I really don't agree with this at all. I'm not even sure that non-residents should be able to vote, not if they've lived in another nation for longer than their own.
There are thousands of 'Brits' living in SA, Zimbabwe and India who can vote in British elections some of whom have never even stepped foot in Britain! They just happen to have a British passport, because their grandfather was British.
That stinks if you ask me. If you emigrated in the 70's, there's no way you should be able to vote in UK elections.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2004, 06:39:47 AM »

I really don't agree with this at all. I'm not even sure that non-residents should be able to vote, not if they've lived in another nation for longer than their own.
There are thousands of 'Brits' living in SA, Zimbabwe and India who can vote in British elections some of whom have never even stepped foot in Britain! They just happen to have a British passport, because their grandfather was British.
That stinks if you ask me. If you emigrated in the 70's, there's no way you should be able to vote in UK elections.
Right. Everybody should vote in the country he resides in, nowhere else. Of course, you need to have a cutoff date somewhere. I don't want people voting in Germany because they happen to be on a ten-day vacation here and there's an election on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies