Allowing non-citizens to vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:35:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Allowing non-citizens to vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Allowing non-citizens to vote  (Read 13106 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2004, 11:11:41 AM »

As far as I know the UK is actually the world's only county to let non-citizens vote in national elections, though only those from Ireland and the Commonwealth. Extending that to EU citizens was actually considered around 1997/8, if I remember right. Most EU countries let their fellow EU people vote in local elections by now.

Migrendel, I totally agree personally that to live wherever you want and enjoy full equality there is actually a human right and that anyone who finds a way around immigration laws -they are worse in Europe than in America, btw- should be encouraged. But that's a losing battle in discussions among European leftwingers for Christ's Sake, so maybe we should just let the subject drop...

Sweden allowed non-citizens to vote on adoption of the euro. But that's just b/c we knew they would vote "YES"... Wink
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2004, 11:50:14 AM »

Sweden allowed non-citizens to vote on adoption of the euro. But that's just b/c we knew they would vote "YES"... Wink

Wow, talk about manipulating the vote!  It's completely ridiculous for any state to allow non-citizens to vote.  One of the most important rights a citizen can have is the right to vote.  Only the citizens of a country should decide how that country is governed.  Foreign manipulation is immoral and just plain wrong.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2004, 12:01:41 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2004, 12:02:00 PM by Michael Zeigermann »

Wow, talk about manipulating the vote!  It's completely ridiculous for any state to allow non-citizens to vote.  One of the most important rights a citizen can have is the right to vote.  Only the citizens of a country should decide how that country is governed.  Foreign manipulation is immoral and just plain wrong.

I agree with that. As much as I take an interest in American politics, I wholly accept that, as a foreign citizen, I have no right to vote in US elections, just as somebody not holding a British passport shouldn't be allowed to vote in our general election.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2004, 12:03:01 PM »

Immoral and just plain wrong. Is this your intellect or your heart? I think it's fairly reasonable to extend equal rights to citizens regardless of citizenship, like they do throughout Europe.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2004, 12:20:19 PM »

Immoral and just plain wrong. Is this your intellect or your heart? I think it's fairly reasonable to extend equal rights to citizens regardless of citizenship, like they do throughout Europe.

Equal rights to citizens regardless of citizenship?  I don't understand.  Citizens of which country?  All American citizens should vote in American elections, all Mexican citizens should vote in Mexican Elections, etc.  I have no problem with immigration, in fact, I beleive that the naturalization process should be made easier.  But, if you are not a citizen of a country, you should not be able to vote there.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2004, 12:32:50 PM »

I personally believe that citizenship should only be a voluntary classification, with equal rights accorded to all.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2004, 01:21:31 PM »

The Constitution applies to US citizens.  That doesn't mean that we should treat non-citizens like crap, but we have to draw the distinction.  If there is a non-citizen in the US who we have stong reason to believe is a terrorist, then at the order of a judge, that person should be allowed to be brought in for questioning and possible detainment.

Likewise, voting rights are for citizens, not everyone.  If these people want to become citizens and vote, I have no problem with that, infact I encourage it, but non-citizens who don't have the commitment, will or desire to be Americans should not be allowed to vote.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2004, 01:37:25 PM »

Perhaps a broader context would help you, supersoulty. If your views of American law, God forbid, are accepted by the Supreme Court, the obstacles are still not cleared. The United States, as a member of the world community, the United Nations, and trustee of resident aliens, still has to answer to international law and codes of human rights. Unless you wish this country to defiantly shake its fist at all laws that have a higher authority than ours, your theory doesn't quite work out.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2004, 01:55:44 PM »

Perhaps a broader context would help you, supersoulty. If your views of American law, God forbid, are accepted by the Supreme Court, the obstacles are still not cleared. The United States, as a member of the world community, the United Nations, and trustee of resident aliens, still has to answer to international law and codes of human rights. Unless you wish this country to defiantly shake its fist at all laws that have a higher authority than ours, your theory doesn't quite work out.

Not at all.  You are taking what I said to the extreme.  I didn't say that we should be allowed to make them 'disappear'.  All I said was that for security purposes, we should be allowed to detain non-citizens if there is REASONIBLE cause to do so.  If you had read my post, you would know that I encoursge ALL LAW-ABIDING immigrants living in this country to become citizens.  The fact is that even if we gave immigrants only 90% of the rights of citizens they would still have 3-times the rights that they would have living in most countries around the world.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2004, 08:32:33 PM »

The whole concept of detaining those who are thought suspicious bothers me. The presumption seems to be one of guilt rather than innocence. It is ill-suited to Democracy, and contrary to Malloy v. Hogan, to arrest people at large and then work from there. I also don't see why we shouldn't grant them that most sacred right, the franchise, if we are a nation of E Pluribus Unum and compassionate care, rather than compassionate conservativism.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2004, 10:10:15 PM »

I also don't see why we shouldn't grant them that most sacred right, the franchise, if we are a nation of E Pluribus Unum and compassionate care, rather than compassionate conservativism.

Because they are not OF our nation.  If they emigrate here and become of our nation, then they have the right to participate in our political system.  I'm not advocating that we do not treat them as human beings with the full rights accorded to any other human being.  But, it's one thing to treat them with human decency, it's another to cheapen American citizenship by allowing non-citizens to vote.
PD
pd

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2004, 11:34:15 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2004, 11:37:24 PM by PD »

Non-citizens should not be allowed to vote. If they want to vote, they can become legal and stop sucking us dry. I do not live in Los Angeles County (thank God), but in that county alone, 30 (million or billion, I can't remember which one) of taxpayers dollars were spent in one year taking care of illegal immigrants gang wounds in the hospitals. I don't know about you, but I would rather have that money helping our children's hospitals, seniors, etc. Our own people are more important than illegal gang members. Besides that, I don't think they should be allowed to vote at all unless their legal. Once again, I see this as one of the liberals' strategies for gaining votes among minorities. At least it is in this state. Even if it wasn't, it's still a stupid thing to do. You should not take part in the actions of a country that you are not a citizen of. If you won't become legal, then you don't get the privelige of voting.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2004, 11:40:10 AM »

This is a weird debate. Does anyone actually support ILLEGAL immigrants getting the right to vote? It makes no sense whatsoever.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2004, 12:03:17 PM »

It appears that migrendel does.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2004, 02:01:40 PM »

Migrendel is an extreme extremist with extreme opinions. He doesn't really count... Wink

OK, apart from Migrendel then.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2004, 05:41:25 PM »

Migrendel is an extreme extremist with extreme opinions. He doesn't really count... Wink

lol, that's a way of stopping a debate, eh?

Nice move, huh? Wink
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2004, 05:44:00 PM »

Migrendel is no more extreme than Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Pat Buchanan, John Ashcroft, Ann Coulter, etc.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2004, 05:46:24 PM »

Migrendel is no more extreme than Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Pat Buchanan, John Ashcroft, Ann Coulter, etc.

No, but I'd say he is AS extreme as these people. Though not as stupid, hateful or insane as some of them, I don't want him to be offended.
PD
pd

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2004, 06:10:14 PM »

I'm an extreme extremist with extreme opinions, but for the other side. Oh, well that would explain why I am COMPLETELY, TOTALLY against allowing illegal immigrants to vote. Smiley  Personally, I think they should all be deported.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2004, 06:16:42 PM »

I'm an extreme extremist with extreme opinions, but for the other side. Oh, well that would explain why I am COMPLETELY, TOTALLY against allowing illegal immigrants to vote. Smiley  Personally, I think they should all be deported.

Deported? Btw, your opinion counts as much as Migrendel's, I'm afraid, lol... Wink
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2004, 06:17:26 PM »

The whole concept of detaining those who are thought suspicious bothers me. The presumption seems to be one of guilt rather than innocence. It is ill-suited to Democracy, and contrary to Malloy v. Hogan, to arrest people at large and then work from there. I also don't see why we shouldn't grant them that most sacred right, the franchise, if we are a nation of E Pluribus Unum and compassionate care, rather than compassionate conservativism.

Then let them become citizens.  Geez, didn't I say that a million times?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2004, 06:17:51 PM »

Deported? Btw, your opinion counts as much as Migrendel's, I'm afraid, lol... Wink

Yes, and they cancel each other out, so it all works out!
PD
pd

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2004, 06:18:16 PM »

Alright. Well, I guess if you're gonna pick on us extremists... Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2004, 06:20:01 PM »

Alright. Well, I guess if you're gonna pick on us extremists... Smiley

I'm a moderate, what do you expect? Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2004, 09:40:55 AM »

Yes Migrendel is right, allow non citizens to vote. That way one party could have thousands of non-citizens brought over to vote for their party. Oh, wait, the democrats did that in 2000.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies