Ford-Reagan '76

(1/3) > >>

PBrunsel:
In 1976 Gerald Ford wanted to unite the Republicans that had been divided by the bitter 1976 Primaries. He decided to choose Ronald Reagan as vice president. Reagan accepts and is nomonated for Vice President as Bob Dole becomes official Campaign Manager of Ford-Reagan '76. How would this election turn out? Could Ford win with a popular running mate?

PBrunsel:
I vote Ford-Reagan.

Gustaf:
I think I would have voted for Carter anyway back then, I am not sure if I had supported Reagan the way I would've in the 80s...

Ben.:
In 1976 Reagan wouldn’t have helped the ticket that much he would have made California a lock and been a great campaigner but in the end tension between him and the GOP leadership, his disagreements with the GOP platform of 1976 and the popular perception that he was a bit too radical (like a much more articulate version of Howard Dean) would have meant the ticket would have gone down to defeat... Carter would still have swept the south and the north east effectively guaranteeing his election... Reagan's time was 1980, or under alternative circumstances 1972... but at the bottom of the ticket even Reagan wouldn’t have helped Ford....

I would probably have voted for Carter… based on his record as Governor and the fact he was a decent and good man… the sad thing is he got lumped with one of the worst four years to ever be president and was not up to the challenge (not many would have been), however I believe Reagan was a guy with such drive, belief in the American people and self belief that he was able to take on the tasks in a way Carter could not…

The fact is no matter who won in 1979 Democrat, Republican, radical or moderate they where probably going to lose in 1980 as it was with the economic and international factors baring down on the USA at the time things where always going to be rough for any administration… so even if a Ford/ Reagan ticket won in 1976 it would probably get crushed in 1980 anyway…    

opebo:
Of course I'd vote for Ford/Reagan, but the idea of Reagan as Ford's VP is really disturbing.  What a waste that would've been.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page