U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:59:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria  (Read 4871 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: August 23, 2014, 08:54:36 PM »

Assad has killed more people than the IS. I'd rather we destroy Assad first.

It's not that simple. I don't think you understand what a huge welfare check you would be handing The Islamic State by doing that.
I don't like the IS, but I don't like Assad more. He has butchered tens of thousands. The IS is hated by everyone and can't expand much more, only shrink. Especially once we kick them out of Iraq and their oil revenue dries up. Assad's the bigger threat.

Assad is just barely holding on to power in his own country.  ISIS is preaching global jihad that could reach out and conduct serious attacks not just in the M.E. but also in the West. There are many people rallying to their banner and you underestimate them at your own peril.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:42:07 PM »

The IS is hated by everyone and can't expand much more, only shrink.

There's still room for them to expand in Syria if the Assad regime collapses.

Yeah, I mean they have a pretty compelling recruitment system in the conquered lands, join us or die. The bloody curdling tactics are quite successful spreading ideology. Many are also quite willing to join because they have been marginalized and attacked by their governments. More moderate elements naively thought  they could control the extremists but quickly became devoured by them. 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 10:05:57 PM »

Assad is the more long-term evil, he could actually survive all this, while the IS is doomed to be destroyed. And Assad has killed much more people.

Yes, I'd rather take out Assad, and have the IS make some gains in Syria before they're taken out.

Is Bashar al-Assad a threat to the US? No. Is Bashar al-Assad a threat to Syria? Of course.

But it's not our job to look out for the best interests of the Syrian people. We're not a human rights brigade.

Indy, Starwatcher, you are neglecting or underestimating the consequences of an ISIS takeover on the Syrian people. The Shias, Christian and moderate Sunni communities would suffer just as they have in Iraq.  ISIS would cleanse them of their supposed sins. They could make Assad's barrel bombs seem tame.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »

Indy, my point was against your the humans rights bit. IMO, It is in the best interests of the Syrian people that Assad stay in power and not ISIS. Ultimately, it is best that he transition out of power and some real federal, autonomous governments are sorted out in both these countries.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »

My fear is that this is an Afghanistan late 90's-Sept 01 scenario. We have a very dangerous organization massed in large numbers and they wish to bring harm to our allies and the US. Now we are not going to solve the underlying problems by killing a bunch of ISIS members, but it is a target of opportunity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies