CT: Gravis: Gov. Malloy (D) in trouble
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:50:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  CT: Gravis: Gov. Malloy (D) in trouble
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CT: Gravis: Gov. Malloy (D) in trouble  (Read 1374 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »

Article.

Foley (R)- 46%
Malloy (D)- 38%
Unsure- 17%
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »

Gravis don't care. Though it definitely shows Foley with the edge
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:36:43 PM »

Was the poll commissioned before or after the "it's your fault you're fired" comments?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »

Was the poll commissioned before or after the "it's your fault you're fired" comments?

For Fudge's sake that isn't gonna have that big an impact
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 05:04:11 PM »

Just like Mitt's "I like firing people" didn't. Oh wait.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »

When compared to things like the "47 percent", things like the "I like firing people", "Etch a Sketch", or for that matter, Obama's "You didn't build that", had essentially no effect.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »

That alone certainly didn't. Unlike Foley, who had a seeming lapse of judgement here, Romney had a history of making very out of touch remarks. It was the combination of everything Romney said that reinforced this image of an out of touch vulture capitalist.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »

When compared to things like the "47 percent", things like the "I like firing people", "Etch a Sketch", or for that matter, Obama's "You didn't build that", had essentially no effect.

Exactly; genuine "game changers" are few and far between.

Now, regarding the Gravis poll, it is doubtful that Foley is leading by 8. He probably has an edge, but a lead of the magnitude seen in this poll just isn't likely for a Republican in Connecticut.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »

Now, regarding the Gravis poll, it is doubtful that Foley is leading by 8. He probably has an edge, but a lead of the magnitude seen in this poll just isn't likely for a Republican in Connecticut.

Oh?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 10:35:32 PM »

So when is ElectionsGuy gonna switch his prediction?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:53:01 PM »

Oh?

I feel things have changed since 2006. Let's just keep in mind that Foley lost in 2010, a great Republican year. Maybe a Republican could win by a massive margin in this race, but I do not see that happening. I just have trouble believing the kind of margin indicated in this Gravis poll can happen anymore for a Republican in Connecticut.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 01:43:36 AM »

Oh?

I feel things have changed since 2006. Let's just keep in mind that Foley lost in 2010, a great Republican year. Maybe a Republican could win by a massive margin in this race, but I do not see that happening. I just have trouble believing the kind of margin indicated in this Gravis poll can happen anymore for a Republican in Connecticut.

To be honest, I was kind of being a douche, and the circumstances for Rell's margin were pretty obvious - very (almost liberal) moderate Republican incumbent. Foley is not the incumbent, and though center right, is not the most moderate candidate the Republicans have to offer. But still, a large margin for a Republican in Connecticut is not impossible, just closing in on improbable.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 03:03:31 AM »

So Gravis is irrelevant unless the preferred candidate from your party is leading. Gotcha.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 06:54:22 AM »

Oh?

To be honest, I was kind of being a douche, and the circumstances for Rell's margin were pretty obvious - very (almost liberal) moderate Republican incumbent. Foley is not the incumbent, and though center right, is not the most moderate candidate the Republicans have to offer. But still, a large margin for a Republican in Connecticut is not impossible, just closing in on improbable.

Okay, what you're saying makes sense. I thought that the link you shared indicated a legitimate question, so I wanted to clarify what I meant.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 09:17:57 AM »

Oh?

I don’t know the situation on the ground in Connecticut, but I think it is probable that a Republican can win a gubernatorial race in Connecticut by comfortable margins. Gubernatorial races are generally less partisan than elections for the Senate, House or the Presidency. That is why the Democrats are able to win in places like Nebraska and Arizona, and why the GOP had the governorships in Connecticut, Vermont and Rhode Island until 2010.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »

So Gravis is irrelevant unless the preferred candidate from your party is leading. Gotcha.

Absolutely not. Gravis is junk, but even with a junk poll, this wide a lead definitely shows at least slight momentum.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »

Oh?

I don’t know the situation on the ground in Connecticut, but I think it is probable that a Republican can win a gubernatorial race in Connecticut by comfortable margins. Gubernatorial races are generally less partisan than elections for the Senate, House or the Presidency. That is why the Democrats are able to win in places like Nebraska and Arizona, and why the GOP had the governorships in Connecticut, Vermont and Rhode Island until 2010.

Then I'll tell you. Malloy is okay with disasters. Credit where it is due. BUT his promise of a tax refund that was never realized, awful budget, and grabby gun laws that were pushed after a tragedy when nobody was thinking straight in a state with high gun ownership, have him at a clear disadvantage. I understand why some outsiders would be rooting for him, but his execution of the laws, not to mention his outspoken Common Core support, make his approval mediocre even in a deep blue state like this.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »

Kind of like how you think of Rasmussen.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 03:11:25 PM »

McKinney already has a pretty brutal ad over the paper mill thing apparently it does matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeM6i02y-8k
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 05:36:11 AM »

Oh?

Then I'll tell you. Malloy is okay with disasters. Credit where it is due. BUT his promise of a tax refund that was never realized, awful budget, and grabby gun laws that were pushed after a tragedy when nobody was thinking straight in a state with high gun ownership, have him at a clear disadvantage. I understand why some outsiders would be rooting for him, but his execution of the laws, not to mention his outspoken Common Core support, make his approval mediocre even in a deep blue state like this.

That is very interesting. I’ve heard that Malloy is somewhat controversial even among liberals in Connecticut. Is that so?
What sort of Republican is Foley? Is he a Republican of the same brand as Jodi Rell?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 10:00:13 AM »

Oh?

That is very interesting. I’ve heard that Malloy is somewhat controversial even among liberals in Connecticut. Is that so?
What sort of Republican is Foley? Is he a Republican of the same brand as Jodi Rell?

Yes. Malloy is pretty much hated in everywhere but the cities that propelled him ahead in 2010. Foley is also the perfect Republican for CT. Moderate. Very moderate. Basically another Rell, who I would love to lead us again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies