Ask a Brit thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:44:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ask a Brit thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Ask a Brit thread  (Read 7493 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2005, 07:05:27 AM »

Negative Campaigning makes sense whenever there is a serious chance of decreasing the opposition's turnout. In fptp (except in three way marginals, where there is a large risk of boosting opponent b if you go after opponent a), that is always the case. In proportional elections, that is the case whenever the public's motivation is not high...as in...say...European elections...or too many of Germany's state elections...or the 2001 Westminster election...
Which is one of the reasons I support compulsory voting, actually.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2005, 12:24:03 PM »

Can someone explain the British university system? I know that Oxbridge system has little in common with the 19th century 'red-brick' universities or the ones established after WWII. And also the grading system--'firsts', 'double firsts,' etc. The French educational system seems much better structured in comparision.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2005, 01:03:58 PM »

Can someone explain the British university system? I know that Oxbridge system has little in common with the 19th century 'red-brick' universities or the ones established after WWII. And also the grading system--'firsts', 'double firsts,' etc. The French educational system seems much better structured in comparision.

Al is an expert on the university system. What, with his love for them and all. Tongue
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2005, 01:14:23 PM »

Al is an expert on the university system. What, with his love for them and all. Tongue

According to this Scotsman article, children born in the UK's lower classes have less opportunity for social mobility than the children of immigrants to the UK.

Part of that reason, the article suggests, is lack of university access by the working class poor.

JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2005, 11:06:45 AM »

What do you mean by the university system?

You apply to University through an organization called UCAS (University and College Admissions Service) and are only allowed to apply to six universities. You cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.

Possible degrees I believe are a First, an Upper Second (2:i), a lower second (2:ii), a third and after that I *think* there may just be a pass.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2005, 03:12:39 PM »

Hmm...

In the US, like you likely know already, you can apply to any school you choose (just as well, you will be rejected by them if you don't meet certain criteria like SAT score, GPA, etc.). Limiting to specifically six seems harsh, but I guess it cuts down on weed applications from prestige whores (who apply to every elite school in the country) and slackasses (who do likewise for the party schools).

About "university system", I should have said, specifically, the college system of Oxford/Cambridge vs. the college structures of the less ancient schools.

From what I've read, OxBridge colleges are independent institutions within the university itself. But Oxford makes itself a bit clearer on the relation between the university itself, the ancient colleges, and the academic divisions (e.x. "college of physical sciences"). At Oxford, the colleges exist mostly for student support. At Cambridge, I think, the colleges determine your educational career exclusively.

By comparison, the University of London (not quite "old" by UK standards, but a lot older than the other urban universities) has 'colleges' much as the American usage of the word.

But I don't know--that's why I wanted to "ask a Brit"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies