IA-Marist/NBC: Braley and Ernst tied
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:22:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  IA-Marist/NBC: Braley and Ernst tied
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IA-Marist/NBC: Braley and Ernst tied  (Read 2520 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2014, 05:16:57 AM »

43% Braley (D)
43% Ernst (R)
14% Undecided

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Iowa poll was conducted July 7-13 of 1,599 registered voters, and has a margin of error of +/- 2.5 percentage points.

http://www.kwqc.com/story/26028462/nbcmarist-poll-has-braley-and-ernst-tied
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:19:45 AM »

Not what I was expecting - this may stay close after all.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:44:34 AM »

Hm, this isn't what I was expecting from Marist. Interesting how Ernst still suffers from a gender gap.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:19:27 AM »

Braley needs to go negative with ads listing all the crazy ish Ernst has done and said.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:41:42 AM »

If it's a poll of registered voters, then Ernst is probably leading IRL.  Great news for the GOP.

Braley needs to go negative with ads listing all the crazy ish Ernst has done and said.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  Braley has said and done some crazy-ish things of his own, so Ernst could easily counter-attack on that front.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:00:20 AM »

If it's a poll of registered voters, then Ernst is probably leading IRL.  Great news for the GOP.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  Braley has said and done some crazy-ish things of his own, so Ernst could easily counter-attack on that front.

Yes, Braley isn't exactly in a good position to attack Ernst as a crazy gaffer.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »

If it's a poll of registered voters, then Ernst is probably leading IRL.

So now we've resorted to unskewing to escape from inconvenient truths.

Holy sh*t, you really do represent everything you hate in today's GOP.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »

I'm not quite sure a comment about having a farmer on the judiciary committee and some neighbor's chicken running around your yard is on the same level as saying that Iraq had WMDs 10 years after it's been proven they don't and calling for the impeachment of the President. But that's none of my business...
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 04:40:02 PM »

Uh, no I haven't.  The fact is that polls of registered voters are more likely to overstate Democrat numbers because the pool of registered voters is more D than that of likely voters.  Plus, polls of likely voters are generally more accurate anyway, simply because they are "likely" voters.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2014, 05:38:36 PM by Sawx »

Uh, no I haven't.  The fact is that polls of registered voters are more likely to overstate Democrat numbers because the pool of registered voters is more D than that of likely voters.  Plus, polls of likely voters are generally more accurate anyway, simply because they are "likely" voters.

The election is three and a half months out, and the only recent LV polls that show Ernst with a significant lead have been from a Republican internal (which is largely untested, did awfully in its first race, and shows absurd results) and a uni firm with flawed methodology (that is, basing the electorate directly off of an anomaly of a cycle). If anything, the only LV poll with a shred of reputability that was taken post-primary confirms this result, not refutes it. Overall, this poll seems accurate, and doesn't need to be unskewed because it shows a competitive race.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »

I'm not quite sure a comment about having a farmer on the judiciary committee and some neighbor's chicken running around your yard is on the same level as saying that Iraq had WMDs 10 years after it's been proven they don't and calling for the impeachment of the President. But that's none of my business...

It's just that Braley hasn't run a top-notch campaign. I definitely agree with you on Ernst having glaring faults, but sometimes the political climate can counteract the effect of those shortcomings.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »

This race reminds me of Virginia 2013. I'm sure Iowans would like more choices than potentially-impeachment-voting Ernst and chicken-suing Braley, but they'll have to pick a lesser evil between the two of them. My gut says Ernst is ahead now, since Braley's mini-scandal broke more recently than hers, but Iowa is a Tilt D state and Ernst is a B-list candidate, so I do think Braley is still favored overall.
Landon1993
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 03:14:37 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2014, 03:45:06 PM by Landon1993 »

Crazy things can happen when  candidates insult farmers in an agriculturally based state. I still haven't figured out what compelled Barely to do that, in a race where he had only a modest lead from the onset? Personally, I think we are dealing with two sub-par candidates here. If a Libertarian runs, it could tip things towards the Democrats.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »

This race reminds me of Virginia 2013. I'm sure Iowans would like more choices than potentially-impeachment-voting Ernst and chicken-suing Braley, but they'll have to pick a lesser evil between the two of them. My gut says Ernst is ahead now, since Braley's mini-scandal broke more recently than hers, but Iowa is a Tilt D state and Ernst is a B-list candidate, so I do think Braley is still favored overall.

Give the race more time to cook to make a projection. That's my book. Don't forget Branstad is popular, so he might help Ernst out.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »

If anything, North Carolina reminds me of VA 2013. Lesser of two evils, with the Libertarian thrown in.
NHLiberal

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »

Give the race more time to cook to make a projection. That's my book. Don't forget Branstad is popular, so he might help Ernst out.

Doesn't really make sense since the Senate race comes on the ballot first, also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_gubernatorial_election,_2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Arkansas,_2010
Panda Express

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:01 PM »

I'm glad the Dem is starting to pull away in Michigan because here in Iowa Braley is proving to be a rather poor candidate.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 09:51:37 PM »

Ernst could become the first crazy Republican woman elected to the senate. Still think she'll lose, people underestimate IA's liberal leanings. Dukakis won Iowa by 10 points and it has a strong populist streak.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »

New Poll: Iowa Senator by Marist College on 2014-07-13

Summary: D: 43%, R: 43%, I: 1%, U: 14%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »