TNF v. Windjammer (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:23:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  TNF v. Windjammer (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TNF v. Windjammer  (Read 3463 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: July 14, 2014, 10:05:18 AM »

I am filing suit against the Vice President in his capacity as President of the Senate. The Vice President invalidated 5 votes in the PPT election thread on the grounds that I had not declared in the official thread, and subsequently argued that these votes were invalid because they were write-in votes. As someone who has been party to four PPT elections now, I would like to bring as to the invalidation of these votes, which have been accepted in every previous PPT election. The President of the Senate has acted in an undemocratic manner and should be required to accept those votes on the grounds of previously established precedent and respect for the democratic process.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:55:07 AM »

I don't think that the injunction should be lifted and I applaud the Court for enacting it. Windjammer is doing a fine job at executing the duties of the PPT and the President of the Senate at the moment and should be allowed to continue until a legitimate reading of the votes (and subsequent tie-breaking vote) can render us with a PPT.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »

The invalidation of the votes cast for me is a fragrant violation of the right of Atlasian citizens to select their own representatives. As stated in Section16 of Article VI of the Third Constitution:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The fact of the matter is that Atlasia is a republic, a nation in which voters choose their own representatives to legislate and govern on their behalf. Five members of the Senate cast their ballot (their right under the law) to select a representative, who was then deemed inadequate on the grounds that he had not declared he was running for the position in time, on account of a power outage. If this egregious assault on the very foundational premise of our Republic (the right to select ones' own representatives) is not thrown out by the Court, then the Republic itself is in the gravest of dangers.

Beyond the argument I have made above, I would like to note that Vice President Windjammer's actions are unprecedented and in flagrant violation of normal Senate procedure. In the name of being a stickler for the rules, he has not only violated the right of the Senate to select its own leader, but he has also thrown out all precedent and all established Senate procedure in the process. I have chosen two sample posts to illustrate this:

Senators, a vote for the PPT of the 60th Senate is now open.

PPT Official Ballot

[  ] NC Yankee

[  ] Tyrion

[  ] TNF

[  ] Write-In: __________

[  ] None of the above

Senators, a vote for President Pro Tempore is now open. 

PPT Official Ballot

[  ] NC Yankee

[  ] Write-In: __________

[  ] None of the above

The fact of the matter is that Windjammer is throwing out precedent in the name of applying a stricter interpretation of the rules, and in the process he is denying all of us the vital and sacred right to select our own representatives. The Court must strike down this fragrant attack upon the very cornerstone of republican liberty, or it must risk this nation going into the darkness of oligarchy and rule by personal clique.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »

So are you going to certify the votes, Windjammer, or are we going to wait for the Supreme Court to hand down a ruling on this suit? If you'd like to do the former and certify a winner in the PPT election, I will gladly drop the case.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies