Victorian State Parliamentary Election - 29 November 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:22:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Victorian State Parliamentary Election - 29 November 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Victorian State Parliamentary Election - 29 November 2014  (Read 13387 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2014, 02:36:50 AM »
« edited: December 04, 2014, 02:38:50 AM by CrabCake »

Amusing Council update:

Labor 14
Liberal 13
Green 3
Sex 3 (!!)
Shooters and Fishers 2
Nationals 2
Country Alliance 1
DLP 1
PUP 1

So a GreebLabSex party is enough for 20 votes!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2014, 03:03:16 AM »

It looks like the Liberals will retain Prahran, thankfully sparing the Labor caucus from Neil Pharaoh 😃.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2014, 03:08:20 AM »

It looks like the Liberals will retain Prahran, thankfully sparing the Labor caucus from Neil Pharaoh 😃.

googles to see what's so awful about this guy.

"...As a young gay man..."

ah, makes sense. One-track mind, man, one-track mind.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2014, 04:31:02 AM »

He is a completely talentless hack who came third in the branch preselection ballot with only 9 votes. That's just as embarassing as his own performance in the general election.

No, I do not oppose candidates based purely on their sexuality. Mike Michaud was one of my favourite candidates of the US 2014 cycle.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »

The result is Prahran is in no way definite. Clem Newton-Brown's lead is now 11 votes, and Labor is requesting a recount.  There's still votes to be counted, as well.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victoria-state-election-2014/labors-neil-pharaoh-calls-for-prahran-vote-recount-20141208-122slc.html
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2014, 06:09:14 AM »

greens seem to have won the first count of Prahran !!
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2014, 06:17:59 AM »

Yup the VEC has declared the Greens as having won Prahran
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2014, 08:22:22 AM »

What a disastrous campaign for Labor in this seat, coming third in a seat they held until the last election! Hopefully they'll choose a proper candidate next time.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2014, 07:11:31 PM »

What a disastrous campaign for Labor in this seat, coming third in a seat they held until the last election! Hopefully they'll choose a proper candidate next time.

Bit melodramatic.

Labor has held this seat for 16 out of the last 59 years... so it's not like this is Labor heartland. Plus this is a seat that has had a strong Greens presence for a number of years. So considering the surge around Melbourne to the Greens at the expense of Labor... it's hardly shocking.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2014, 08:26:13 PM »

Bit melodramatic.

Labor has held this seat for 16 out of the last 59 years... so it's not like this is Labor heartland. Plus this is a seat that has had a strong Greens presence for a number of years. So considering the surge around Melbourne to the Greens at the expense of Labor... it's hardly shocking.

Exactly.  This isn't some earth-shattering breakthrough.  As long as Labor can hold an overall majority in the lower house (which they already have, of course), another Green is fine.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »

Daniel Andrews will face serious issues in the Legislative Council though.
And with a handful of the 13 Labor MLCs being of a moderate nature, nothing too extreme should be able to become law.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »

Hifly your insight is as about as useful as your prediction  that Labor will lose Macedon. Just face it you know nothing.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2014, 09:22:24 PM by Hifly »

Hifly your insight is as about as useful as your prediction  that Labor will lose Macedon. Just face it you know nothing.

I said, and I quote, that Labor was "in serious danger" of losing Macedon. That was not a prediction. This was a notion that was acknowledged at the time by many political pundits both within & outside of Labor.

My only prediction was that the Liberals would pick up at least one ALP-held seat, and I was right in that (see Ripon).

Also, don't you have me on ignore? If you don't, please put me back on ignore so you don't have to read my awful posts, and I won't get your nonsense replies ever again.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2014, 09:07:19 PM »

ALP will win popular vote like 53/47 but lose in seats or a minority government.

I would just like to point out this little gem; what an awful prediction. It's quite sad actually because Victoria is your home state, so one would naturally expect you to have at least a slightly deeper insight.

But I guess you should carry on with your drivel, since you're the man with all the answers.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2014, 09:10:58 PM »

Well, Ripon was lost due to boundary changes and was only held last time due to a personal vote.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »

Well, Ripon was lost due to boundary changes and was only held last time due to a personal vote.

Yes indeed; I think I already mentioned that. It's astounding how much popularity Joe Helper retained since apparently he was the least active MP in Parliament.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »

Country people don't care whether their representatives are active in Parliament. Other things matter more...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2014, 01:38:45 AM »

Labor members are bound by an extremely strict policy of not ever crossing the floor, at the risk of expulsion from the party should they do so on anything other than one of the very rare conscience votes.

TBH I'd like a little bit more flexibility from both sides on member's rights to cross party lines. Not US levels, or even UK levels, but there should be more room to at least abstain based on personal convictions.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2014, 09:01:49 AM »

VLC finalised:

Liberals 14
ALP 14
Greens 5
Nationals 2
Shooters 2
Sex 1
DLP 1
Vote One Local Jobs 1

looks interesting. Minority governments are always fun, especially the strange Australian system. I think this is the first victory for the Sex Party that I know of. The Shooters, of course, had fantastic luck with the preference flow - they actually had fewer votes than the Lib Dems, Palmer, Family First and the Animal Justice Party, but gained two seats.

Absolutely terrible result all over for the Nationals.

Knives
solopop
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2014, 04:43:13 AM »

VLC finalised:

Liberals 14
ALP 14
Greens 5
Nationals 2
Shooters 2
Sex 1
DLP 1
Vote One Local Jobs 1

looks interesting. Minority governments are always fun, especially the strange Australian system. I think this is the first victory for the Sex Party that I know of. The Shooters, of course, had fantastic luck with the preference flow - they actually had fewer votes than the Lib Dems, Palmer, Family First and the Animal Justice Party, but gained two seats.

This final result is an embarrassing example of how the way we vote for senate needs to change.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »

VLC finalised:

Liberals 14
ALP 14
Greens 5
Nationals 2
Shooters 2
Sex 1
DLP 1
Vote One Local Jobs 1

This final result is an embarrassing example of how the way we vote for senate needs to change.

After the federal election, there was talk of changing it, and I've found this story from May; has anything happened since?  The above the line preference deals really are the most awful feature of an STV based system that I know of.
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2014, 06:09:46 AM »

could you not get rid of the need to preference every single candidate? doesn't seem to do northern Ireland or the republic any harm to have a few candidate elected on not quite a full quota and some people's votes becoming exhausted
EPG
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2014, 06:21:44 AM »

could you not get rid of the need to preference every single candidate? doesn't seem to do northern Ireland or the republic any harm to have a few candidate elected on not quite a full quota and some people's votes becoming exhausted

Parties gain when they can control the destination of their voters' preferences.

Consider that intra-party transfer rates in those other STV jurisdictions are not very large: typically 20-45% of voters will stop preferencing, or preference a different party's candidate, when a same-party candidate remains. One author cites 67% and 58% intra-party transfer rates for Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil respectively in 2011 (http://www.ucd.ie/ibis/filestore/wp2011/109_hutcheson.pdf).
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2014, 09:54:58 AM »

That's what I'd do: just go to STV without the need to preference all candidates and without an above the line option.  The number of candidates would presumably decrease dramatically, as parties usually wouldn't stand more candidates than the maximum number of seats they think they can win (for the reason mentioned by EPG -- see SDLP, West Tyrone, 2007, for what can happen if they do stand too many), so the ballot paper would become less daunting.

As it happens, the Victorian Legislative Council already doesn't have the full preferencing requirement: you just need to number at least five candidates if you vote below the line.  But it does have the above the line option, which works the same way as for the federal Senate.

What I think was being suggested was to change the above the line option so that voters would number each party, and the preferences within each party's list would then be ordered according to the party's ticket.  (So inter-party preferences would be controlled by the voter, but intra-party ones would still be controlled by the party.)  As I say, I'd just get rid of above the line altogether, but doing this would deal with the worst feature of the current system, which is the inter-party preference tickets, and I'd assume would get rid of the more ridiculous results.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2015, 11:01:54 AM »

I just did this quickly. I only saw Smid's Melbourne maps and an early results map by Htmldon in the gallery; apologies in advance if I missed a final results map in there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies