Petition to demod Inks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:27:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Petition to demod Inks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Petition to demod Inks  (Read 21447 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 11:00:52 AM »

X TDAS04
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »

I can understand criticism of Inks's moderation style, but I have no idea why you think that particular list of grievances owes to him.  You think Inks is the most influential moderator?  Lol.

Who then? Demod them. This place is slipping down the tubes thanks to a moderation policy that's completely backward.

All the decisions on who to ban or unban are ultimately made by Dave or Nym.  Dave banned opebo.  Nym unbanned Einzige.  Complain about those decisions to them.  Sure, other mods discuss this stuff with them and influence their decisions, but Inks is no more influential on that score than about a half dozen other people.

Other complaints in Gully's petition are more vague, and I'm not sure who specifically he's talking about, but "extreme liberality taken with some other members of the board despite their constant violations of the ToS"?  I don't know which posters specifically that he's talking about, but I don't think Forum Community is the worst offender in terms of boards where the moderation is too lax.  Inks is hardly "lax" in infracting compared to some of the other boards.  Most of the criticism of Inks has been that he moderates too aggressively, not too leniently.

No-one here is going to believe that Nym and Dave are engaged enough to act unilaterally. We both know that the unbannings of Einzige and Libertas, to use the most obvious examples, would never have happened without the mods inexplicably voting to recommend them to Nym. It's become  clear that a gaggle of mods - as far as I can work out the main offenders are Inks, Ernest and Badger, but it's presumably more - are controlling moderation policy in a shockingly boneheaded way.

Inks' problem isn't that he's too aggressive per se - it's that he's insanely strict about the most banal things, like "profanity", (bizarrely) quoting objectionable posts on this board, or fretting over a mass murderer's copyright privileges -

- while simultaneously, along with what's apparently a majority of the mod team, being absurdly lenient on issues that actually matter.  It took years to ban a pedophile troll because people apparently thought a few thousand "final warnings" would be good enough, and I'm unfortunately not at all optimistic that the failed experiment of Einzige's unbanning will be brought to a close any time soon -- even while he continues to return to his old ridiuclous Nazi pseud persona and posts Deutschland über alles in a thread concerning Poland and the Czech Republic. Tedious spambots like excelsus and NewYorkExpress clog the forum. Rampant misogynists like The Obamanation are allowed to post about "filthy sluts" without fear as long as he doesn't infringe on a serial killer's copyright protections, and, again Einzige II is allowed to post about being a predatory creep and people who quote his disgusting posts here to draw attention to his behaviour are threatened with infraction and punishment. The mods' incomprehensible devotion to defending sexual predators is, just months after the ridiculously convoluted process that was opebo's banning, once again apparent.

I've defended Inks in the past from what I thought where overreactions to a poorly applied but ultimately harmless moderation policy. I no longer believe that the latter point holds true.

LOL. Congratulations on achieving a hitherto unbelievable level of self-parody.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »

Only in the sense that the village in The White Ribbon was a community.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 04:30:49 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2014, 06:18:24 PM by politicus »

Only in the sense that the village in The White Ribbon was a community.

With Ernest as the pastor, Torie as the baron and Badger as the doctor?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »

I can understand criticism of Inks's moderation style, but I have no idea why you think that particular list of grievances owes to him.  You think Inks is the most influential moderator?  Lol.

Yep. Exactly.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »

#StandwithInks
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »

We both know that the unbannings of Einzige and Libertas, to use the most obvious examples, would never have happened without the mods inexplicably voting to recommend them to Nym. It's become  clear that a gaggle of mods - as far as I can work out the main offenders are Inks, Ernest and Badger, but it's presumably more - are controlling moderation policy in a shockingly boneheaded way.

I don't take things like this personally, nor do I here, but I'm genuinely curious how the hell I came into this mix? I'm one of the most liberal mods in the cave in terms of favoring free discourse and using edits/infractions with great restraint.

Or do you mean because I support allowing Libertas back (probationarily at least)? If you might recall, I was among the greatest opponents of Libertas back in the day, and one of the greatest celebrators of his banning then. I just believe that when people are genuinely contrite and appear to have changed, they often deserve a second chance after serving their sentence. If you think that's "shockingly boneheaded", well, more power to you I guess.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2014, 06:02:55 PM »

X bore
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2014, 06:17:56 PM »

Who then? Demod them. This place is slipping down the tubes thanks to a moderation policy that's completely backward.

All the decisions on who to ban or unban are ultimately made by Dave or Nym.  Dave banned opebo.  Nym unbanned Einzige.  Complain about those decisions to them.  Sure, other mods discuss this stuff with them and influence their decisions, but Inks is no more influential on that score than about a half dozen other people.

Other complaints in Gully's petition are more vague, and I'm not sure who specifically he's talking about, but "extreme liberality taken with some other members of the board despite their constant violations of the ToS"?  I don't know which posters specifically that he's talking about, but I don't think Forum Community is the worst offender in terms of boards where the moderation is too lax.  Inks is hardly "lax" in infracting compared to some of the other boards.  Most of the criticism of Inks has been that he moderates too aggressively, not too leniently.

No-one here is going to believe that Nym and Dave are engaged enough to act unilaterally. We both know that the unbannings of Einzige and Libertas, to use the most obvious examples, would never have happened without the mods inexplicably voting to recommend them to Nym. It's become  clear that a gaggle of mods - as far as I can work out the main offenders are Inks, Ernest and Badger, but it's presumably more - are controlling moderation policy in a shockingly boneheaded way.

Nym isn't a robot.  If you think he's making bad decisions because he's listening to the wrong people, then why don't you petition for a new modadmin, rather than try to work out every person who might be influencing him the "wrong" way?  (Not that any of these petitions will work, but at least that one would be more logical.)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Should be noted that a majority of mods supported banning opebo two years ago, but Nym decided that that wasn't good enough for a ban.  It didn't happen until Dave got involved earlier this year.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »

Inks is more willing to explain his decisions than most other moderators, but these explanations typically encourage more user dissatisfaction because they rarely make sense.

That's it exactly.  Inks does more explanation of his actions than other mods, but he usually ends up sticking his foot in his mouth in the process.  Thus he attracts more anti-mod anger, and people end up thinking he's the most important mod or something, when that's hardly the case.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 07:51:20 PM »

x Talleyrand
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 10:33:54 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2014, 10:46:44 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

Inks' problem isn't that he's too aggressive per se - it's that he's insanely strict about the most banal things, like "profanity", (bizarrely) quoting objectionable posts on this board, or fretting over a mass murderer's copyright privileges -

- while simultaneously, along with what's apparently a majority of the mod team, being absurdly lenient on issues that actually matter.  It took years to ban a pedophile troll because people apparently thought a few thousand "final warnings" would be good enough, and I'm unfortunately not at all optimistic that the failed experiment of Einzige's unbanning will be brought to a close any time soon -- even while he continues to return to his old ridiuclous Nazi pseud persona and posts Deutschland über alles in a thread concerning Poland and the Czech Republic. Tedious spambots like excelsus and NewYorkExpress clog the forum. Rampant misogynists like The Obamanation are allowed to post about "filthy sluts" without fear as long as he doesn't infringe on a serial killer's copyright protections, and, again Einzige II is allowed to post about being a predatory creep and people who quote his disgusting posts here to draw attention to his behaviour are threatened with infraction and punishment. The mods' incomprehensible devotion to defending sexual predators is, just months after the ridiculously convoluted process that was opebo's banning, once again apparent.

I've defended Inks in the past from what I thought where overreactions to a poorly applied but ultimately harmless moderation policy. I no longer believe that the latter point holds true.

LOL. Congratulations on achieving a hitherto unbelievable level of self-parody.

FYI, I was one of the early supporters of an opebo ban but fell on the losing side of the votes until the last time. I also would support banning The Obamanation (and Snowstalker and BRTD, although I doubt I'm in the majority there).

The "filthy sluts" comment wasn't on my board, and I've never advocated banning someone over copyright issues. I mod a single board... how does it make any sense to blame me for what happens on the other 20+ boards or who gets banned/unbanned?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 10:45:56 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2014, 05:45:32 PM by CADD Truther Movement »

Good lord, how on earth could anyone support banning BRTD? Haven't enough forum icons been taken down already?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 10:50:25 PM »

x Flo
Hamster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »

Good lord, what on earth could you support banning BRTD for? Haven't enough forum icons been taken down already?

Probably for being a sh**tposter.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 11:26:55 PM »

Good lord, what on earth could you support banning BRTD for? Haven't enough forum icons been taken down already?

Probably for being a sh**tposter.

People would care if he were banned and that's more than anyone can say about you.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 01:18:12 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2014, 08:39:31 AM »

X Antonio V
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »

Not so long ago you were among those demanding his head. I'm guessing you're only saying "no" because it's Gully's petition Wink
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2014, 09:23:48 AM »

In regards to what Nix said remember when Inks deleted a post for "anti-pro-heterosexual sentiment"?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2014, 09:32:29 AM »

Not so long ago you were among those demanding his head. I'm guessing you're only saying "no" because it's Gully's petition Wink

No.  As Inks rightly points out he's hardly here and barely moderates the FC board.....all we all wanted was for him to settle down and he has.

Gully's ridiculous notion that Inks carries that much sway in the cave isn't worth responding to.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »

No.  As Inks rightly points out he's hardly here and barely moderates the FC board.....all we all wanted was for him to settle down and he has.

I stand corrected. Sorry.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »

I stand corrected. Sorry.

No worries, Kal.  I'm happy to clarify my position. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »

In regards to what Nix said remember when Inks deleted a post for "anti-pro-heterosexual sentiment"?

You are misremembering the incident. I did not delete that post. It wasn't even on one of my boards.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »

If I may opine, I have to support Inks and cannot sign this petition.  He can be a little abrasive sometimes, but I contend he's one of our better and most impartial mods.  In fact, I have never understood all the venom pointed in Inks' direction.     As Grumps said he has tapered down his activities on the FC board. There was a time that I had wondered if he had taken a leave of absence, because I hadn't seen him post in several days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies