ERIC CANTOR *LOSES* PRIMARY!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:55:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ERIC CANTOR *LOSES* PRIMARY!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: ERIC CANTOR *LOSES* PRIMARY!!!  (Read 12293 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2014, 10:48:24 PM »

Simfan, for someone comparing his political opponents to the Nazis, your rhetoric is kinda sounding a bit fascist.

PS do you currently have any sock and are they participating in this thread because I find it difficult to believe anyone else would actually feel so strongly about this
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2014, 10:49:47 PM »

Simfan's meltdown in this thread has, I think, eclipsed ag on Ukraine.  Epic.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2014, 10:50:47 PM »

Simfan, for someone comparing his political opponents to the Nazis, your rhetoric is kinda sounding a bit fascist.

PS do you currently have any sock and are they participating in this thread because I find it difficult to believe anyone else would actually feel so strongly about this

Who else is expressing such feeling? I'm confused. What makes you think there is a sock, and what does my rhetoric have to do with it?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2014, 10:51:29 PM »

I honestly am amazed at the level of attacks on Brat for somehow being anti-semitic. I just can't comprehend some of these posts at all.

Eric Cantor losing is not the end of the GOP. Sorry folks. Kevin McCarthy or Cathy McMorris Rogers is going to replace him, and nothing will change in Washington-besides Boehnor's biggest threat being removed. Cantor was a man who put ambition over ideology; he'd stab his mother in the back for power. And everyone wins tonight-the GOP leadership, the Tea Party, and the Democrats, who have ridded the man most responsible for the shutdown.

The only narrative that comes from this is "GOP CIVIL WAR CLAIMS MAJORITY LEADER".  That is hardly a message the GOP needs to still be fighting against five months before the mid-terms.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »

I honestly am amazed at the level of attacks on Brat for somehow being anti-semitic. I just can't comprehend some of these posts at all.

Eric Cantor losing is not the end of the GOP. Sorry folks. Kevin McCarthy or Cathy McMorris Rogers is going to replace him, and nothing will change in Washington-besides Boehnor's biggest threat being removed. Cantor was a man who put ambition over ideology; he'd stab his mother in the back for power. And everyone wins tonight-the GOP leadership, the Tea Party, and the Democrats, who have ridded the man most responsible for the shutdown.

The only narrative that comes from this is "GOP CIVIL WAR CLAIMS MAJORITY LEADER".  That is hardly a message the GOP needs to still be fighting against five months before the mid-terms.
Election wise, your right. But I was thinking more about the daily affairs in Congress rather than elections.
Ab1234mdusr
Rookie

« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2014, 10:54:48 PM »

Interesting fact: Cantor's district includes Kings Dominion. I guess Brat is the real "Dominator" in this election.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2014, 10:55:07 PM »

More coded anti-Semitic rhetoric from Brat:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/05/14/
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2014, 10:55:52 PM »

I like how people in this thread are trying to pretend that Cantor and Brat are the exact same. There were plenty of other policy differences between them besides immigration. Brat opposes Federal educational mandates while Cantor voted for No Child Left Behind. Brat opposes crony capitalism and bailouts while Cantor voted for the Farm Bill and TARP. Brat opposes NSA spying and indefinite detention while Cantor voted for the NDAA and against the Amash amendment. The idea that Cantor is identical to any Tea Partier and only got challenged because he's Jewish is just ridiculous.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2014, 10:58:09 PM »

So, he's a secret anti-Semite because he's comparing himself to a Jewish hero?
Meursault
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2014, 10:58:36 PM »

Define "crony capitalism" in terms of the traits it has that no other form of capitalism.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2014, 11:04:03 PM »

I like how people in this thread are trying to pretend that Cantor and Brat are the exact same. There were plenty of other policy differences between them besides immigration. Brat opposes Federal educational mandates while Cantor voted for No Child Left Behind. Brat opposes crony capitalism and bailouts while Cantor voted for the Farm Bill and TARP. Brat opposes NSA spying and indefinite detention while Cantor voted for the NDAA and against the Amash amendment. The idea that Cantor is identical to any Tea Partier and only got challenged because he's Jewish is just ridiculous.

I did some research on Brat, but not a lot, but he sounds excellent. Glad to see him in congress then, even with the dumb religious stuff.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2014, 11:09:43 PM »

This guy must really know his religion.  Remember when David fought the Roman Empire?  I think that was in the book of Robert Zemeckis where David used a modified Delorian to go into the future and help the Jews fight Rome.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2014, 11:10:58 PM »

GOPs own damn fault, should have nipped this bud in 2009.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »

If the hand of god was at hand, don't  you think the Almighty could pull off more than 54%?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2014, 11:11:52 PM »

I actually came across impressed with the guy from his interview on Hannity.  For a Teabagger, he doesn't sound too dumb and seems to be more of a serious issues guy rather than simply a mouthbreathing Neanderthal racist like Louie Gohmert.  

I'd rather have a far right economics professor than a far right lawyer coming out of far right districts.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2014, 11:12:24 PM »

Meh good riddance. Cantor was always one of the worst in the GOP establishment and a huge part of the government shutdown debacle. I have no idea who Brat is but I probably would have voted for him after that. Maybe Brat will turn out to be a disaster, but if he does, his disaster will most likely not have as far reaching effects since he isn't a part of the House leadership.

Simfan, Cantor's religion has absolutely nothing to do with this. What part of the Gospels did Brat quote? Unless he's saying "His blood is on our hands and the hands of our children" or something along those lines, it probably had nothing to do with Cantor whatsoever. And of course he thinks he's the right guy to win. What remotely competitive politician doesn't believe that? Simfan, the human mind is made to see patterns even where there are none. There's none here.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2014, 11:15:45 PM by Simfan34 »

Perhaps, TJ. As you might imagine I am mellowing a bit here. Earlier, I wanted to drive down to Virginia and bludgeon Brat with a baseball bat. Now, I realise that might not have been the best of ideas, alongside the calls for extermination of Tea Partiers and whatnot, perhaps. In hindsight, the rhetoric seems a bit... extreme. But it is still a travesty, indubitably.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2014, 11:17:49 PM »

Some of these comments make me laugh. Yes, how dare someone run against a Jewish Republican, as if that was the main issue of the campaign.

It is not that. It is the tenor of his campaign, all this talk about God and Jesus, that was rather blatant dog-whistling, as to say I am the God-fearing, church-going Christian in this race. It is obvious.
So, according to this logic, a Christian cannot mention his faith in the presence of a Jew? I don't think this was an issue at all-Cantor has survived challenge after challenge in the past, and I doubt they were all from fellow Jewish Republicans....

No, pretty much. He can't. It's of no relevance. It's not "mentioning his faith". It's taking a semi-messianic approach to it.
God is of no relevance?

Well, in my opinion, politicians are talking way too often about God, and it's often not because of their faith, but because being a good Christian is a vote-getter. I find that despicable and insulting for God. God is more than a political argument. My interpretation of "Thou shalt not take the name of God in vain" is than God should be used in religions matters and personal morals, perhaps policy issues, but there is nothing of it there. He is mentioning God to show to voters he is a strong Christian. Perhaps he is, but anyways, either he is an hypocrite, either he uses the name of God for his personal benefit.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2014, 11:23:06 PM »

Interesting that Cantor focused on helping and empowering the "working middle class families"/compassionate conservatism in his concession speech.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »

Interesting that Cantor focused on helping and empowering the "working middle class families"/compassionate conservatism in his concession speech.

The way forwards out of this cesspool of a mess.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »

I actually came across impressed with the guy from his interview on Hannity.  For a Teabagger, he doesn't sound too dumb and seems to be more of a serious issues guy rather than simply a mouthbreathing Neanderthal racist like Louie Gohmert.  

I'd rather have a far right economics professor than a far right lawyer coming out of far right districts.

He does seem reasonable. I read a transcript of that interview, and he appears to be informed. I'm inclined to claim that Brat is probably a solid conservative, not an extremist.

Cantor for Senate? Cheesy I'm just joking.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2014, 11:26:34 PM »

Define "crony capitalism" in terms of the traits it has that no other form of capitalism.
It's a political buzzword that refers to government interventionism in favor of various interest groups (the "cronies").  Not a precise term, to be sure, but you get the point. I suppose the reason "capitalism" gets added on is because it typically refers to situation in which the government takes the place of private markets actors, often capitalists. For example, in the case of agricultural subsidies, the government has taken the place of private investors and has poured huge amounts of capital into the agricultural industry that otherwise would not have been invested. Or, more likely, "crony capitalism" just sounds catchier to people and is better at stimulating voters.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2014, 11:33:59 PM »

Mother of God, the party needs to carpetbomb his challenger. Ruin his life, and not just politically. Make him end his days a homeless drunk lying in the sewer.

You seriously need to check yourself in.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2014, 11:52:58 PM »

RIP GOP

BOOYAKASHA
BOOYAKASHA
BOOYAKASHA

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2014, 12:04:30 AM »

Perhaps, TJ. As you might imagine I am mellowing a bit here. Earlier, I wanted to drive down to Virginia and bludgeon Brat with a baseball bat. Now, I realise that might not have been the best of ideas, alongside the calls for extermination of Tea Partiers and whatnot, perhaps. In hindsight, the rhetoric seems a bit... extreme. But it is still a travesty, indubitably.

The Tea Party has been responsible for a number of travesties, and if you want one from this year look to Mississippi. But this is not a travesty. Cantor was part of the problem even if he was a member of the party leadership. Did immigration play some role? Certainly. But that's not the whole story here, look at South Carolina where Lindsay Graham just romped his way to a primary victory. The difference is the quality of the candidates and their abilities to connect with people. Graham is excellent and Cantor is not. Brat is apparently excellent and Graham's opponents were not. I don't think many people in Cantor's district really get the feeling he accurately represents their interests. The Tea Party doesn't trust him since he's part of the leadership and opposed to them on practically every issue dividing the Republican Party. And what moderate Republicans are really going to find any sort of inspiration for the abrasive Cantor who to a large extent was part of the reason for the GOP's endless House leadership vacuum by playing continual opposition to Boehner? Who exactly is it that supports Cantor right now? As Tmth pointed out in one of the other threads, as long as Brat doesn't turn out to lose the seat or cause a national uproar, this will probably be a good thing for the GOP as we'll avoid the looming chance of an eventual Cantor Speakership. We might have just dodged a bullet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies