ERIC CANTOR *LOSES* PRIMARY!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:31:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ERIC CANTOR *LOSES* PRIMARY!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: ERIC CANTOR *LOSES* PRIMARY!!!  (Read 12300 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2014, 10:22:05 PM »

I think there are two lessons here:

1.  Republicans need to repudiate immigration reform completely and double down on white fears about brown people.  This means Rubio and Jeb Bush are not good 2016 candidates for that and they may lose for that reason.  The Republican Party is moving towards a populist message of blaming our problems on non-WASPs.  

2.  You can't just have crazy policies, you need to show that you're crazy.  You can't just talk about how Obama is a member of Al Qaeda, you need to be drenched in flopsweat and hoot and holler like baboon in heat.  You need to seem like a dumb, angry redneck with no respect for anyone and no real social graces.  

You'll look back at this in horror when it actually happens.

If you don't like racism and emotional, illogical rhetoric aimed at the lowest common denominator, why are you a Republican?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2014, 10:22:17 PM »

Wait, is Simfan only just now realizing that his party of choice is full of racists?  I guess that would explain why a black guy in 2014 is a Republican in the first place...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »

Some of these comments make me laugh. Yes, how dare someone run against a Jewish Republican, as if that was the main issue of the campaign.
Meursault
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2014, 10:25:40 PM »

Brat is an obvious Dominionist. I know you don't care - like every right-libertarian in America you prostituted yourself to the fundamentalists a long time ago - but some are disturbed by it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »

Wait, is Simfan only just now realizing that his party of choice is full of racists?  I guess that would explain why a black guy in 2014 is a Republican in the first place...

I have known that the racists were around for a long time. I just didn't realise they were this powerful. They have overwhelmed the leadership. It is not a racist party, it is a party being hijacked by racists.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2014, 10:26:41 PM »

Can Catholics be Dominionist? Because brat is a catholic.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2014, 10:27:58 PM »

Wait, is Simfan only just now realizing that his party of choice is full of racists?  I guess that would explain why a black guy in 2014 is a Republican in the first place...

I have known that the racists were around for a long time. I just didn't realise they were this powerful. They have overwhelmed the leadership. It is not a racist party, it is a party being hijacked by racists.

Uh, this hijacking has been in progress for about fifty years.  You didn't see it coming?
Meursault
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2014, 10:28:04 PM »

Catholics tend to be the most ideological of Dominionists.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2014, 10:28:12 PM »

Some of these comments make me laugh. Yes, how dare someone run against a Jewish Republican, as if that was the main issue of the campaign.

It is not that. It is the tenor of his campaign, all this talk about God and Jesus, that was rather blatant dog-whistling, as to say I am the God-fearing, church-going Christian in this race. It is obvious.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »

I honestly am amazed at the level of attacks on Brat for somehow being anti-semitic. I just can't comprehend some of these posts at all.

Eric Cantor losing is not the end of the GOP. Sorry folks. Kevin McCarthy or Cathy McMorris Rogers is going to replace him, and nothing will change in Washington-besides Boehnor's biggest threat being removed. Cantor was a man who put ambition over ideology; he'd stab his mother in the back for power. And everyone wins tonight-the GOP leadership, the Tea Party, and the Democrats, who have ridded the man most responsible for the shutdown.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2014, 10:28:33 PM »

Catholicism and theocracy aren't incompatible.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »

It is not that. It is the tenor of his campaign, all this talk about God and Jesus, that was rather blatant dog-whistling, as to say I am the God-fearing, church-going Christian in this race. It is obvious.
So, according to this logic, a Christian cannot mention his faith in the presence of a Jew? I don't think this was an issue at all-Cantor has survived challenge after challenge in the past, and I doubt they were all from fellow Jewish Republicans....
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »

Wait, is Simfan only just now realizing that his party of choice is full of racists?  I guess that would explain why a black guy in 2014 is a Republican in the first place...

Uh, this hijacking has been in progress for about fifty years.  You didn't see it coming?

I haven't been around that long, and, besides, the Republicans I know, vote for, and associate with are not racists. The Democrats tend to be wacko-social justice types. Hence I am a Republican. And I do not want these bigots in my party.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2014, 10:31:57 PM »

Catholicism and theocracy aren't incompatible.
Im aware. I am just unsure what dominionism is exactly, I was under the impression it was some sort of protestant thing.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »

So, according to this logic, a Christian cannot mention his faith in the presence of a Jew? I don't think this was an issue at all-Cantor has survived challenge after challenge in the past, and I doubt they were all from fellow Jewish Republicans....

No, pretty much. He can't. It's of no relevance. It's not "mentioning his faith". It's taking a semi-messianic approach to it.
Meursault
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:53 PM »

In the strictest sense it is, but he certainly tilts in that direction.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2014, 10:34:38 PM »

Omg, the hyperbole is this thread.......
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2014, 10:34:47 PM »

As a Jew, to me the greater issue is, how dare a Jewish man serve in the Republican leadership in the first place.  The Republicans in Congress are so far from Jewish values that I don't understand how any Jewish person would support them, much less lead their party in the House.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2014, 10:36:45 PM »

As a Jew, to me the greater issue is, how dare a Jewish man serve in the Republican leadership in the first place.  The Republicans in Congress are so far from Jewish values that I don't understand how any Jewish person would support them, much less lead their party in the House.

Not to question your judgement, but go tell that to the Lauders.

Interesting fact: Cantor's district includes Kings Doninion. I guess Brat is the real "Dominator" in this election.

Who are you? What is a Doninion?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »

No, pretty much. He can't. It's of no relevance. It's not "mentioning his faith". It's taking a semi-messianic approach to it.
God is of no relevance?
Meursault
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2014, 10:41:20 PM »

"God".
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2014, 10:41:31 PM »

God is of no relevance?

Not in this context, no.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2014, 10:42:49 PM »

Omg, the hyperbole is this thread.......

You mean the Simfan is this thread?

And here's an article on the full-on war for Republican leadership
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »

I don't think Eric Cantor's Jewishness was ever a secret in the previous elections.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »

Interesting read. I'll be rooting for McMorris Rodgers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies