Do proponents of the Christ Myth Theory subscribe to it as a means to "own" Christians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:16:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do proponents of the Christ Myth Theory subscribe to it as a means to "own" Christians?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do proponents of the Christ Myth Theory subscribe to it as a means to "own" Christians?  (Read 578 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2023, 12:41:44 PM »

Full disclaimer that I'm virtually a lapsed Catholic who more or less identifies as an agnostic nowadays.

But this seems to be an undercurrent of this theory whenever I've encountered it since pretty much every proponent appears to be an atheist who has engaged in anti-Christian dialogue. Which makes it seem to be an emotional argument rather than a logical or evidence-based one.

Especially considering that the evidence that Jesus was a historical person is much stronger. Regardless of any religious significance that was ascribed to him later on.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 12:44:20 PM »

I've never understood why any atheist would deny the historicity of Jesus, especially when it's a far better argument that he was real and a complete con artist.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 01:11:54 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2023, 01:24:41 PM by °°Ruauu2 »

I doubt it, but haven't read any famous proponents of it.

I don't know why anyone would get bent out of shape about it.

Although if it were true much of Christian doctrine which centers around JC would be in question.

As a flesh being Jesus had a beginning.
Certainly in that sense Christianity had a beginning whether or not it is a true religion.

Most religions have one founder.
Christianity most likely did too and more than likely that person was male, whether or not his name was"Jesus" doesn't seem relevant.

I don't know what argument for the theory is, accept for the fact that there isn't a lot of evidence to prove with absolute certainty that Jesus existed.

There are questions which seems more important like the accuracy of the four gospels and whether Christianity is a true religion.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 08:01:46 AM »

There are all sorts of niche views like this on "intense" historical topics, and crazies will inevitably emerge if the topic is widespread enough.  Very few serious people question that Jesus existed.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 12:10:48 PM »

I've never believed that, even when kids were bullying me over my lack of faith I said "I think Jesus was real, but he was just a guy "
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 06:14:16 PM »

Is there any serious person who actually denies that there was a man who called himself Jesus, claimed he could perform miracles, and was crucified?
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 12:34:53 PM »

Is there any serious person who actually denies that there was a man who called himself Jesus, claimed he could perform miracles, and was crucified?

These two guys seem to get a lot of air time.  Wikipedia also lists a few others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Carrier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Price
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 02:07:35 PM »

It's a fringe position in New Testament scholarship, but a few notable proponents do exist:  namely the aforementioned Carrier and Price, who have become known for advancing it on the Internet.  Mythicism was a much more mainstream belief among scholars in the late 18th to early 20th century, but research since the 1970s has increasingly supported the historicist view.

The main mythicist argument is that the earliest Christian writings (i.e., the Pauline epistles) do not contain any biographical information about a historical Jesus, even when it would be convenient for Paul to reference examples or justification from Jesus' life.  Paul is explicit that the gospel he teaches does not have an earthly origin, rather being revealed to him personally (Galatians 1:11).  He preached this gospel for three years before meeting Peter and James (Galatians 1:18).

Carrier posits that Paul's epistles likely thus do not refer to a historical Jesus but a divine Son of God who was crucified and resurrected in a spiritual realm, similar to other "dying-and-rising" deities common to Antiquity.  The Gospels were then later written to "concretize" Jesus and place him within human history. 

My main issue with Carrier's thesis is that Paul's Jesus has several characteristics that we wouldn't expect had he been a Jewish myth.  First Century Jews would not have invented a trinitarian Jesus who is coextensive with God the Father, nor would a Jewish "rising-and-dying" diety have been killed in cosmic recreation of a Hellenistic crucifixion. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies