Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, imprisoned by Taliban in Afghanistan since 2009, is freed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:55:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, imprisoned by Taliban in Afghanistan since 2009, is freed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, imprisoned by Taliban in Afghanistan since 2009, is freed  (Read 18788 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »

Even though it's on Fox's site, this story is from Time Magazine

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/05/taliban-encouraged-to-kidnap-swap-more-us-soldiers-for-gitmo-prisoners-report/
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2014, 11:48:43 AM »

This thread is the greatest testament to Atlas hackery I've ever seen.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2014, 11:51:55 AM »

This thread is the greatest testament to Atlas hackery I've ever seen.

More like to brainwashing. At least speaking of "enemy combatants" with a straight face would imply that.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2014, 12:21:23 PM »

I'm legitimately shocked, and frankly scared, about the stunning cultural disconnect between the people here and the real world of the military. There was a gentleman on Fox who talked about this. Being a deserter is second only to actively betraying your country in terms of severity. As the guy on fox said, being a deserter isn't like being a little too hungover and skipping Gender 101.

Just because someone did something wrong doesn't mean they deserve to be a prisoner of the Taliban. 

Bergdahl has a well-documented history of being less than fully devoted to his duty. He was documented as someone who has written letters and emails to his families in which he describes his hate and disgust with the country he had sworn to protect. He trained with an AK-47, which is bizarre for the military due to it's use by enemy combatants. Villagers, when asked if an American had come through, they said yes and he was actively looking for the taliban.

Six of our guys were killed looking for this sad excuse of a human being. While he was, as he said, "going to walk to China," we lost six patriots who died just trying to help a fellow American. That fellow American, though, was sick of them and disgusted with them. They died helping someone who wouldn't have pissed on them if they were on fire.

We don't know the facts yet.  The fact is that this guy seemed to have been mentally ill and in a bad place emotionally.  It's partly his fault, sure.  But, I blame the commander who kept this person in the battlefield when they're having severe emotional problems.  Not to mention, the people in Washington who have kept our troops in Afghanistan waaaaay too long.

There is also evidence suggesting that during his captivity, if it was captivity, he rolled and delivered intelligence to the Taliban that led to further death. After his disappearance, the attacks made by extremists were improved in efficiency.

He has shown blatant disloyalty. Somewhere in this process, I believe at the start, Bowe Bergdahl betrayed his country, betrayed his flag, and betrayed our men and women in uniform.

Again, this hasn't been determined yet.  The military will investigate this and we'll have a better picture.  You have to expect some of what Bergdahl did while in captivity was under duress and not of his volition anyway.

This notion that somehow there is some vast right wing media hit job on this guy is absurd. I must have missed the memo about Dianne Feinstein switching parties and Chris Matthews signing with Fox News. Plenty of left of center folks are just as outraged at this horrific scandal.

It's certainly Republicans jumping to conclusions and not looking at the complexity of the situation.  They are definitely scapegoating Bergdahl's family and showing a lack of compassion for a messed up kid.

Let's also talk about how illegal this is. The President has released enemy combatants without notifying congress. So, somehow, there is this idea in the White House that rules regarding release of hate-fueled mass murderers are LOOSER than school lunch regulations. The President very, very blatantly broke the law. This is incredible.

That's debatable.  It's always questionable when Congress tries to act like the Commander-in-Chief of the military.

The release of 5 dangerous, anti-American mass murderers endangers our stature in the War on Terror. This president orchestrated this thing against the advice of his generals, despite Department of Defense findings that Bergdahl is a deserter, and he did it all while threatening our national security. He broke the law and is endangering our country.

Maybe, but if this was your family member, you would want them to make the swap.  It's certainly possible that these 5 guys will make no difference in terms of danger to America's security.

Let's be honest, the President did this for political gain. The VA scandal was tanking the White House and making him look like he doesn't care about the military and veterans. So, naturally, the political folks in the White House said, "Boss, let's get Bergdahl out! They'll love that." They wanted a quick, uber positive news cycle about his strength as commander in chief and his staunch patriotism. Conservatives aren't the ones playing politics here.

No, they were negotiating this for years.  That's just not factually accurate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »

The right is swiftboating a recently released POW? Can't say I'm surprised.

Chris Matthews takes issue with your hyperbole, memphis.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/04/matthews-slams-white-house-for-saying-soldiers-are-swift-boating-bergdahl/
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2014, 03:19:26 PM »

Raul Labrador has called out his fellow Republicans on this. Good for him.

Of course we do Prisoner swaps at the end of wars. That's what we do. The question is if this deal was a good or bad one, which I still question, but this isn't some unprecedented sort of thing.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »

Didn't want to wade in here because I can tell exactly what this thread is, but I agree with Riley 100%. He put it way better than I could have.

At the end of the day, Bergdahl is an American and securing his return home was well-intentioned, but I think it's perfectly legitimate to ask if America paid too high a price for someone like Bergdahl who is of demonstrably low value.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »

Again, just to be clear, the critics want us to have left him behind? (even after the war ends and the US pulls out)?

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2014, 03:50:47 PM »

I really want to know if some of Bergdahl's critics here (Grumps and Riley) have ever served in the military? Because I have heard a lot of (potential) chickenhawking going on in this thread, and I say that as someone who really likes both posters.

As far as I am concerned, I don't blame Bergdahl for snapping. The man most likely had mental issues before the Taliban nabbed him, and they are much, much worse now, I'm sure. He couldn't handle the pressure and snapped. The army should have done a better job weeding out those who should go to the frontlines and those who should not. And now they have this man, as well as the lives of the 3,000 men who have died fighting this pointless war, on their hands.

If Bergdahl does turn out to be sane, then he should be tried and punished for deserting. But until the facts are known, I'm not going to pass judgment on a man who went to hell and back.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2014, 03:56:22 PM »

Again, just to be clear, the critics want us to have left him behind? (even after the war ends and the US pulls out)?

No, they'll criticize Obama no matter what he does.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2014, 03:58:45 PM »

No, they'll criticize Obama no matter what he does.
Pretty much. Short of killing Osama, he's never going to win with the Tea Party.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »

I really want to know if some of Bergdahl's critics here (Grumps and Riley) have ever served in the military? Because I have heard a lot of (potential) chickenhawking going on in this thread, and I say that as someone who really likes both posters.

As far as I am concerned, I don't blame Bergdahl for snapping. The man most likely had mental issues before the Taliban nabbed him, and they are much, much worse now, I'm sure. He couldn't handle the pressure and snapped. The army should have done a better job weeding out those who should go to the frontlines and those who should not. And now they have this man, as well as the lives of the 3,000 men who have died fighting this pointless war, on their hands.

If Bergdahl does turn out to be sane, then he should be tried and punished for deserting. But until the facts are known, I'm not going to pass judgment on a man who went to hell and back.

I think it's irrelevant if Grumps and Riley aren't in the military. I understand your concern about chickenhawking, but your implication that only military servicemembers can truly understand military issues seems unfair. However, if we do use that litmus test, Bergdahl should be completely discredited, considering how many people from his own unit have taken the risk to publicly say that he was a deserter. Needless to say, I believe that Bergdahl merits criticism.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »

Fox News claims that evidence indicates Bergdahl declared that he was a "mujahid, 'or warrior for Islam'" while in captivity, but that he attempted to escape his captors. The report also indicates that Bergdahl converted to Islam and that he was accepted by his captors at some points.

Any thoughts?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »

Lost me at "Fox News claims".
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »

Okay, just write them off then. Maybe I should never trust anything that MSNBC says then...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »

I think he was a Taliban prisoner with little choice, plus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolkholm_syndrome
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »

If he attempted to escape his captures, then wasn't he clearly under duress? I mean, come on.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »

Hm...
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2014, 06:29:57 PM »

Keep in mind that as of now, the US army does not consider Bergdahl a deserter. He still appears on army rolls. Just to be factually correct here.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »

Keep in mind that as of now, the US army does not consider Bergdahl a deserter. He still appears on army rolls. Just to be factually correct here.

Clearly FOX News is a more reliable source than the US Army.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2014, 08:19:28 PM »

Even if true, so?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Meursault
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »

Holy sh**t, can Riley get more hyperbolic than he is here?

"LOL GONNA LEAD TO MORE DEATHS, SEZ I!"

This entire thread, between his hyperventilating and Grumps looking to be led, is moronic. Even if Bergdahl deserted - even if he converted to Islam - even if soldiers died looking for him - this is still a good deal.

Primarily because Gitmo needs to be shut down, by any means necessary. I do not care whether this was legal or not; the ends absolutely justified the means.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »

This entire affair is a complete mess and could blow up in multiple ways. I do pretty much believe we have to stick by the "No man left behind" principle, though, and Bergdahl's status as a captive or deserter is still up in the air.

If in fact he is a deserter, no mercy of any kind. Lock him up until the very last day that the law will allow in the name of the people who died due to the search for him.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/06/02/3443719/the-case-for-negotiating-for-bergdahls-release/

According to this, the 5 Talibans we traded were going to be released at the end of this year anyway. Assuming this is correct, Republicans no longer have a leg to stand on, even if Bergdahl really is a deserter.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2014, 11:14:06 PM »

Holy sh**t, can Riley get more hyperbolic than he is here?

"LOL GONNA LEAD TO MORE DEATHS, SEZ I!"

This entire thread, between his hyperventilating and Grumps looking to be led, is moronic. Even if Bergdahl deserted - even if he converted to Islam - even if soldiers died looking for him - this is still a good deal.

Primarily because Gitmo needs to be shut down, by any means necessary. I do not care whether this was legal or not; the ends absolutely justified the means.

Now it's a good deal that Bergdahl deserted, just to get a good thread? Your post was confusing.

Also, are you seriously saying we should take illegal means to shut down a military base that President Obama is probably legally justified to unilaterally close, being that it is in a foreign country?

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/06/02/3443719/the-case-for-negotiating-for-bergdahls-release/

According to this, the 5 Talibans we traded were going to be released at the end of this year anyway. Assuming this is correct, Republicans no longer have a leg to stand on, even if Bergdahl really is a deserter.

It seems simplistic to say that the 5 Taliban operatives are the only issue here. Bergdahl himself has become a subject of debate.

I just it is ridiculous that people think it is no big deal that a soldier deserted a counterinsurgency outpost.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies