SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:13:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?)  (Read 17304 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 03, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »

Due to the number of offices a bicameral structure creates, we have no choice but consolidation.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2014, 09:20:25 PM by JCL and the Geologist »

Due to the number of offices a bicameral structure creates, we have no choice but consolidation.

Not under my plan which could be different from Duke if Duke's plan does.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »

So, let me get this straight...if we create more offices, we'll have to destroy two of the Regions to solve the problem of...too many offices? If that's the case, why create more offices two begin with?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2014, 10:26:48 PM »

Senator Griffin, are you friendly or hostile to Senator Tyrion's amendment?

Friendly I guess.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #254 on: August 03, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »

So, let me get this straight...if we create more offices, we'll have to destroy two of the Regions to solve the problem of...too many offices? If that's the case, why create more offices two begin with?

You'll be pleased to know that the strawman you just erected isn't actually relevant to the debate.

The bicameral system is not being proposed to reduce the number of offices (though it will, likely, have that effect, but only slightly) - it is proposed because some people think that a bicameral system would be more fun to play than a unicameral one. However, because a bicameral system must lead to an increase in federal offices, because there are only a finite number of players, we need to decrease the number of regional offices.

Consolidation is a necessary byproduct, but a byproduct is all it is.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2014, 11:33:25 PM »

You'll be pleased to know that the strawman you just erected isn't actually relevant to the debate.

The bicameral system is not being proposed to reduce the number of offices (though it will, likely, have that effect, but only slightly) - it is proposed because some people think that a bicameral system would be more fun to play than a unicameral one. However, because a bicameral system must lead to an increase in federal offices, because there are only a finite number of players, we need to decrease the number of regional offices.

I would seriously disagree with that. You only get a net increase of 5 offices. That does not warrant consolidating to three regions. Many supporters of consolidation (especially on the left) want to do so to send my region into oblivion out of political expediency.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #256 on: August 04, 2014, 01:02:24 AM »

I would seriously disagree with that. You only get a net increase of 5 offices. That does not warrant consolidating to three regions. Many supporters of consolidation (especially on the left) want to do so to send my region into oblivion out of political expediency.

Uh, no. Surprisingly, the world does not revolve around you.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #257 on: August 04, 2014, 01:10:47 AM »

But is consolidation the only solution capable of balancing out the number of offices? If you include consolidation in this, it won't have a chance of passing anyway.

Sorry if this has already been proposed, but why not just eliminate the At-Large seats and reduce the Senate to five offices? That would empower the Regions while ensuring that there aren't too many offices.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #258 on: August 04, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »

Uh, no. Surprisingly, the world does not revolve around you.

You're right in that the world doesn't revolve around me. Needless to say however is that the left did try to take a blowtorch to my region while merely merging two of their weaker ones. Good thing I had support across party lines to preserve the five region system.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #259 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58:36 AM »

Senators, you have 24 hours to object.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #260 on: August 04, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »

Mr. Vice President, I will be assuming sponsorship for this bill at ex-Senator Griffin's request. (It's been awhile, so I'm not 100% on what the procedure for this is, but I'd like to at least state the intent).
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #261 on: August 04, 2014, 07:38:49 PM »

But is consolidation the only solution capable of balancing out the number of offices? If you include consolidation in this, it won't have a chance of passing anyway.

Sorry if this has already been proposed, but why not just eliminate the At-Large seats and reduce the Senate to five offices? That would empower the Regions while ensuring that there aren't too many offices.

Consolidation isn't the only solution, no. For instance, we could make the upper chamber 3 and the lower chamber 6 or something, but that has serious downsides ( a 3 person chamber is very susceptible to activity issues, and the difference between the two isn't big enough, also, you wouldn't get the parliamentary feel that this bill would provide) as well.

And with regard to this amendment's passage, I think most of us involved in game reform efforts have accepted nothing will pass, but we try anyway.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #262 on: August 04, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »

I can't believe I am saying this, I believe I agree with JCL *shivers* I don't think consolidation is necessary. It may be helpful but not necessary.

Also, would the members of the house be eligible to serve as cabinet members like Senators (If I am not mistaken, this falls under the Semi-Presidentialism Amendment)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2014, 01:43:21 AM »

Mr. Vice President, I will be assuming sponsorship for this bill at ex-Senator Griffin's request. (It's been awhile, so I'm not 100% on what the procedure for this is, but I'd like to at least state the intent).

I think it is a 48 hours objection period to the assumption of sponsorship, if I am not mistaken. Windjammer has to start that period I think.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2014, 03:21:46 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

2. Article 1, Section 4 of the Third Constitution of Atlasia is amended to read:

Section 3: The Addition of the House

1. Article 1, Section 8 of the Third Constitution shall be entitled “The House” and shall read:

Section 4: House Districts and Elections

1. Article 1, Section 9 of the Third Constitution shall be entitled “Elections to the House” and shall read:

[/quote]
Without any objection, this amendment has been adopted.

----------------
Senator yankee:
According to the senate rules:
Article 3, section 1, clause 8

Article 4 section 1 clause 8:

Article 4, Section 1, Clause 7:

So, if my interpretation of the rules is correct,
Senators, you have 48 hours to object to Senator Cynic taking sponsorship.

Indeed, crazy I have had to search 3 amendments Tongue.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #265 on: August 06, 2014, 12:59:05 AM »

Looks like Article 3, Section 1, Clause 8 needs to be fixed at that end there.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »

Cynic is officially sponsor here. Do we want to do anything else with this, or are we ready to put it out to pasture?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »

I'm ready to move this to a vote.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »

We're ready? Anyone have any concerns?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #269 on: August 10, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »

Booooo, booooo

What about what Yankee mentioned?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #270 on: August 10, 2014, 04:28:47 PM »

Booooo, booooo

What about what Yankee mentioned?

I thought his concern was with Senate rules?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #271 on: August 10, 2014, 05:39:09 PM »

As GAworth pointed out, we may have to amend the Semi-Presidentialism if this passes, although that's a concern of the future. Since the bill turned out to be directly related to the Fix the Regions (and it remains to be seen how to get it passed) and the party list idea got defeated it seems we might indeed be ready to vote here.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »

I'd suggest that we separate the bill from the Fix the Regions bill before we put it to a vote.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #273 on: August 11, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »

I'd suggest that we separate the bill from the Fix the Regions bill before we put it to a vote.

Well, the problem would be dealing with the amount of offices, since we would have seventeen Atlasians serving in the Senate and House with the current project, something that it may be really hard to maintain with the current activity levels and with most of the regional governments in crisis. As many others noted during the discussion it doesn't seem really feasible unless we reduce the House and the Senate, and that would affect its own efficiency as well...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: August 11, 2014, 10:28:47 PM »

Well, the problem would be dealing with the amount of offices, since we would have seventeen Atlasians serving in the Senate and House with the current project, something that it may be really hard to maintain with the current activity levels and with most of the regional governments in crisis. As many others noted during the discussion it doesn't seem really feasible unless we reduce the House and the Senate, and that would affect its own efficiency as well...

Exactly. JCL is just trying to kill it; it's tied to FTRA for two reasons: the first being that the number of offices have to be dealt with before we even consider adding new ones, and the second being an incentive to actually ratify FTRA in the first place. Bicameralism without FTRA would be a disaster. You can have 5 regions and 1 chamber (and even that's debatable from the perspective of activity), or you can have 3 regions and 2 chambers; there's no mix and match approach that will work as intended.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies