What is Russia Today's target audience in the U.S.?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:12:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What is Russia Today's target audience in the U.S.?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is Russia Today's target audience in the U.S.?  (Read 2577 times)
Meursault
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2014, 01:56:12 AM »

I don't get it.

One one hand, RT is easily better than any of the American Big Four, insofar as it (A) reports actual news and (B) actually uses real academics for analysis. No American station compares in terms of quality of content.

On the other, it's so openly Putinist agitprop that it's almost funny. I mean, they are explicitly ideologically slanted and make no effort to obscure the fact, unlike MSNBC or Fox, who in the end fool only themselves. (That said, aside from Russian self-aggrandizement, I'm not sure they're hooked into the full Eurasianist paradigm, with the anti-modernism, infantile Christian fundamentalism, etc.).

And it's edited like a Saw film. Seriously, it's a horror movie.

So... What's the American consumer base for Russia Today? 'Sage' Leftists? Alternative Rightists? Russian nationals?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:09:54 AM »

I knew the American media was bad, but it's pretty amazing if a Putin propaganda outfit is actually better. 
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 05:05:27 AM »

I disagree with
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Russian media, in English and in Russian, often peddles conspiracy theories as straight news, from plate tectonic abilities of HAARP, to the mind-altering effects of Chemtrails, to close encounters with bio-engineered alien changelings.

But beyond that, the purpose of RT in English is to use current events as a springboard to propagate the message of the Kremlin party, and to distract and alienate its opponents through innuendo and leading argument. It's the quintessential unreliable narrator.

A direct example:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This entire (unsigned) article is written with the clear subtext of the RT fearlessly exposing the nefarious workings of the subversive federal government. Since access to the US and its media is by international standards wide open, RT has many opportunities available to recast public information this way -- it's tantamount to reading the New York Times with a Vincent Price accent.

By contrast, RT's English-language Russian News side board faithfully reprints every Kremlin press release as an "Official Word." No expose reportage of the nefarious activities of a depraved government are to be found there...

As far as the audience is concerned: RT's US audience consists of conspiracy theorists convinced of the depravity of the US government.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:34:38 AM »

Lurker
Norway
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 12:17:20 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2014, 12:34:56 PM by Lurker »

In addition to those already mentioned: Conservative Republicans / far-right Obama haters? Tongue

For whatever reason, a large part of that group seems to be in love with Putin (at least before the situation in Ukraine). He has a lot of fans on Free Republic and the like.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »

Russia Today was an outlet for the George Galloways of the world for a long time. Its main appeal in this country is to leftists far out of the American mainstream. You know the type, those screaming that Bill De Blasio is a traitor to the cause and only revolution will do.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 01:52:08 PM »

In addition to those already mentioned: Conservative Republicans / far-right Obama haters? Tongue

For whatever reason, a large part of that group seems to be in love with Putin (at least before the situation in Ukraine). He has a lot of fans on Free Republic and the like.

Besides being a strongman, which those types like. Putin is anti-gay, anti-Liberal and anti-Muslim and has spoken out in favour of protecting Christians in the Middle East.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »

Christian fundamentalists with a True Leftist slant on foreign policy. 
Meursault
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »

I will grant you that RT airs more than its fair share of conspiratorial programming (which suggests to me an attempt to pull in the Alex Jones demographic). That said, its purely economic analysis is much preferable to that of the mainstream networks, insofar as it avoids sloganeering or talking points from the American Parties.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »

.......... Its main appeal in this country is to leftists far out of the American mainstream. You know the type, those screaming that Bill De Blasio is a traitor to the cause and only revolution will do.

The type? I bet you there's not more than 10 people in this country like that. 

I have wondered why Russia Today is available on almost every cable system but I still don't even get Fox Business.

(Side note: I am SO happy I don't get that channel. The only time I have to see or hear "Stu" Varney is when Stewart or Colbert make fun of him.)

Hopefully now that more Americans are aware of what RT really is and how its funded cable providers will remove it from their lineups.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »

Trying to raise a fifth column in the United States, overthrow the government and install a Putin puppet in Washington?

This really sounds like something Stalin/Khrushchev/Brezhnev would try.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »

I will grant you that RT airs more than its fair share of conspiratorial programming (which suggests to me an attempt to pull in the Alex Jones demographic). That said, its purely economic analysis is much preferable to that of the mainstream networks, insofar as it avoids sloganeering or talking points from the American Parties.

Could you give us an example of such laudable achievement on the part of RT?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »

RT spent as much time covering the Ron Paul campaign in 2012 as the American media did ignoring him. Even some Paulites found RT's obsession with the Paul, Johnson, and Stein campaigns odd.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies