Conrad Burns' scandal hurts re-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:49:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Conrad Burns' scandal hurts re-election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Conrad Burns' scandal hurts re-election  (Read 2155 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2005, 10:38:44 PM »

State Democrats are demanding Sen. Conrad Burns, R-Mont., return $137,000 in campaign contributions connected to a lobbyist now under investigation for allegedly buying favors from lawmakers.

The charge came the same day that a Washington D.C. newspaper reported that Burns had hired a GOP lawyer to mount a legal defense to clear his name. [...]

Burns has received $137,000 in campaign contributions from Abramoff and his tribal clients, the Post reported. Also under scrutiny is a 2001 trip to the Super Bowl for two Burns staffers that may have been paid for by Abramoff.
The Washington Post reported in early March that Burns had diverted a $3 million grant meant for impoverished Indian schools to the Saginaw Chippewas in Michigan, one of the richest tribes in the nation.

The tribe was a client of GOP lobbyist Jack Abramoff, who is under investigation by the FBI and Congress for allegedly buying legislative favors with campaign contributions and bribing Congressional aides.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2005/03/29/news/02money.txt
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 02:43:12 PM »

He's been in office since '88 and has won reelection twice now.  He isn't going anywhere, even though the MT Dem party is pretty strong.  The only way we get this seat is if he retires.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 03:16:46 PM »

Schweitzer lost to him by only a 51-47% margin.  Part of this was that he did some stupid things before the election, but also he said that he was only going to run for two terms when he got elected and the term he was running for was his third.

That being said, Schweitzer was a strong candidate (who was greatly outspent).  The MT Dems would have to pull another strong candidate in order to pick this one off, imo, though stranger things have certainly happened and Burns has certainly provided material in the past and present to use against him.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 03:20:51 PM »

As with all Senate races: Wait and See. Election is not for a year and two thirds or so.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »

Who do we have to run?  Who's the state congressman with the best chance and high name recognition?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 05:31:26 PM »

The state Congressman is a Republican. I don't think you'll be running him.  Tongue

Here's hoping he retires. I think any other Republican would have a better shot at the seat. I really don't want to have to worry about an MT Senate race because of him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »

Is there anyone besides Schweitzer who would be a very strong candidate? Schweitzer might rather stay Montana governor, which would make him be a good Presidential candidate down the line.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 07:30:52 PM »

No, there's no one besides Schweitzer. I mean I'm sure there are a few decent state Senators around, but they'll be hard pressed to take down Burns.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 09:49:05 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2005, 12:29:44 AM by nickshepDEM »

No, there's no one besides Schweitzer. I mean I'm sure there are a few decent state Senators around, but they'll be hard pressed to take down Burns.

Scweitzer was practically a nobody back in 2000 and he came very close to upsetting Burns.  Attorney General Mike McGrath and Senate majority leader John Tester are both worthy opponents.  Its an outside shot, but the way Montana has been acting latley I wouldnt rule out the possibility of a Democratic win in 2006.

edit:  I just found out his re-elect numbers are only 36%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies