SENATE BILL: Clean Energy Research Act of 2014 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:56:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Clean Energy Research Act of 2014 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Clean Energy Research Act of 2014 (Law'd)  (Read 1738 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 10:46:13 AM »
« edited: May 04, 2014, 10:48:17 AM by Frodo »

I still haven't gotten to the links yet (take forever to load), but is there a tentative date when fusion, "goes nuclear"? Wink How many years are we wlooked at, at this point?

You mean when energy providers here could begin constructing nuclear fusion power plants -replacing the older fission power plants- to the benefit of US/Atlasian energy consumers?  

That would be a matter of decades.  Though given this is a research-oriented bill, I'm assuming (and hoping) you are looking at the long-term, and not just seeking immediate results.  

An ideal energy research bill (in real life) would be looking at natural gas, clean coal, renewables, and nuclear fission in the short to medium term, with investments into nuclear fusion and hydrogen power over the longer term.  With expanded tax credits for energy efficiency to smooth the way forward.   

At least that's how I would construct it.  
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »

In real life yes, but some of that has already been done, except the clean coal I believe spread throughout several bills. I wouldn't be against "repeal and replacing" them though. Wink
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »

Honestly, when it comes to things like energy and transportation Atlasia is so different from the U.S. that I'm never really sure what the best course of action is. Does this liberal paradise even use fossil fuels anymore? Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »

No, it runs on fuel synthesized from granola. Tongue

Of course it uses fossil fuels, but in diminished amounts since it likely costs far more ot use it hear adn thus various alternatives are relatively cheaper.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014, 02:49:28 PM »

Well I'm open to expanding nuclear power in the event that solar power requires too much land to handle the number of people we will need to cover. I do remember trying to expand nuclear back in my senate days, but I have no idea if it passed. I think Franzl and I worked together on it.

We also tried to implement a cap and trade system, but that fell flat. Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »

In the meantime, and addressing some simple issues:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Section 3:

$5 6 billion shall be appropriated for the specific scientific research of biomass, ethanol, geothermal energy, non-uranium based nuclear power, nuclear fussion power, and solar energy in the form of photovoltaic panels, one billion each.

Section 4:

The Nuclear Power Amendment Act shall be amended as follows:

[/quote]

I have to say I had forgotten about the foreign policy impact of this one, specially in regards to Crimea. I guess that only makes this whole project more attractive, xD

I still haven't gotten to the links yet (take forever to load), but is there a tentative date when fusion, "goes nuclear"? Wink How many years are we wlooked at, at this point?

You mean when energy providers here could begin constructing nuclear fusion power plants -replacing the older fission power plants- to the benefit of US/Atlasian energy consumers?  

That would be a matter of decades.  Though given this is a research-oriented bill, I'm assuming (and hoping) you are looking at the long-term, and not just seeking immediate results.  

An ideal energy research bill (in real life) would be looking at natural gas, clean coal, renewables, and nuclear fission in the short to medium term, with investments into nuclear fusion and hydrogen power over the longer term.  With expanded tax credits for energy efficiency to smooth the way forward.    

Do you have any specific ideas on tax breaks? I might as well include them here to speed up the process.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 02:10:59 PM »

What is the advantage of non-uranium nuclear power?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »

You offering that as an amendment, Lumine?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 08:10:01 PM »

Of course!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »

An ideal energy research bill (in real life) would be looking at natural gas, clean coal, renewables, and nuclear fission in the short to medium term, with investments into nuclear fusion and hydrogen power over the longer term.  With expanded tax credits for energy efficiency to smooth the way forward.    

Do you have any specific ideas on tax breaks? I might as well include them here to speed up the process.

The tax breaks provided under the stimulus package passed in President Obama's first year in office would be an excellent starting point.

For individuals.

And for businesses.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 08:39:50 PM »

What is the advantage of non-uranium nuclear power?

1. Provides more energy from a given weight of fuel than any other source, and that fuel (deuterium) can be found naturally and abundantly in the world's oceans.

2. Provides the benefits of renewable energy sources (long-term energy supply, no greenhouse gas emissions), without their shortcomings (uninterrupted power supply).  So it is very reliable.

3. Half-life of radioactive waste from fusion power plants is less than that from traditional fission power plants, and far less of it is produced.  The radioactive material in the core of a fusion power plant would be dangerous for about fifty years -low level waste remains dangerous for another one hundred years.

Waste from fission power plants, on the hand, can last for thousands of years.
----------------------------------

And these are just some of the ones that immediately come to mind.  
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »

Bit of doomsday paranoia here, but that fission waste has to be cooled day in and day out for the full extent of that time using elecriticty to do it. If the power were to go out and for longer than the generators can power the cooling systems, these will melt down just like the reactors themselves. Fusion has much less of such waste and it only takes a few decades to get rid of it.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »

It seems I made a few mistakes with the earlier proposed amendment, I will replace it with this:

Section 3:

$5 billion shall be appropriated for the specific scientific research of biomass, ethanol, geothermal energy, non-uranium based nuclear power, nuclear fusion power, and solar energy in the form of photovoltaic panels, one billion each.

Section 4:

[/quote]
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 01:39:11 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2014, 07:49:40 PM by Cincinnatus »

Quote from: Restricted

Section 3:

$5 billion shall be appropriated for the specific scientific research of biomass, ethanol, geothermal energy, non-uranium based nuclear power, nuclear fusion power, and solar energy in the form of photovoltaic panels, one billion each.

Section 4:

[/quote]

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »

The amendment has been adopted. 61:13 I think.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »

Where are we now on this?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2014, 02:32:51 PM »

I believe the original bill as I envisioned it would be ready, but I'm waiting to see if we are actually going with the long-term plan for energy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2014, 02:39:41 PM »

What is the support like amongst the other members. I think a long term approach is desirable but is there the apetite to take on such a task at this juncture?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2014, 10:23:42 PM »

What is the total increased cost called for by this bill?  Is the spending in Section 3 a part of the spending listed in section 2?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2014, 08:07:22 PM »

What is the total increased cost called for by this bill?  Is the spending in Section 3 a part of the spending listed in section 2?

Not really, Section 3 would be entirely new spending. The current text would mean spending 7 Billion in research for Sections 2 and 3, but I haven't really calculated the expenses involved in Section 4.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 06:07:38 PM »

So whats next or are we nearing completion?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »

Seems the long term approach will require another bill (I will get to work on that). In the meantime, and with this one almost ready, I'm ready for a final vote as well.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 12:24:45 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Section 3:

$6 billion shall be appropriated for the specific scientific research of biomass, ethanol, geothermal energy, non-uranium based nuclear power, nuclear fussion power, and solar energy in the form of photovoltaic panels, one billion each.

Section 4:

[/quote]

A final vote is now open on the aforementioned final text.  Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 12:35:24 AM »

NAY

Increasing our already generous subsidies to the nuclear industry is just too much spending than I can support.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2014, 05:11:30 AM »

Nay.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies