If Hillary Clinton Is Too Old
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:59:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Hillary Clinton Is Too Old
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If Hillary Clinton Is Too Old  (Read 2967 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:47 AM »

Someone I know from Washington said that an open secret is how poorly Hillary Clinton has aged over the last few years, in terms of reaction time and energy. She responded very quickly and appropriately to the shoe-throwing incident, so the open secret might just be wishful thinking among DC Republicans. Presumably none of us knows whether or not she'll be up to the challenge, and that's something that would be more obvious over the next year as the primary kicks off.

But, when would Democrats be worried? What would indicate that her time as an ideal candidate for the toughest job in the world has passed?

Yes, Hillary Clinton will be younger than Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and John McCain when they were presidential candidates. But different people are affected in different ways. It's possible that Joe Biden will be sharper and more energetic, despite being five years older.

I'm not saying that she's too old to be a good nominee/ President. But at what point would it be a problem?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »

If she's healthy, she's not too old. 

I don't see the point in speculating about her health.  Not to be morbid, but any of the potential candidates might be dead from cancer by 2016.  But, we don't know anything about Hillary Clinton's health that worries me yet.  If we do learn something, we can argue about it then, but at this point it's all pointless speculation.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:26:16 AM »

Republicans weren't worried about Reagan in 1980 and certainly not worried with him 4 years older in 84' We aren't worried now. Add 4 years and you have Biden's age and its clear he will run if she doesn't, and possibly even if she does.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »

Someone I know from Washington said that an open secret is how poorly Hillary Clinton has aged over the last few years, in terms of reaction time and energy. She responded very quickly and appropriately to the shoe-throwing incident, so the open secret might just be wishful thinking among DC Republicans. Presumably none of us knows whether or not she'll be up to the challenge, and that's something that would be more obvious over the next year as the primary kicks off.

But, when would Democrats be worried? What would indicate that her time as an ideal candidate for the toughest job in the world has passed?

Yes, Hillary Clinton will be younger than Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and John McCain when they were presidential candidates. But different people are affected in different ways. It's possible that Joe Biden will be sharper and more energetic, despite being five years older.

I'm not saying that she's too old to be a good nominee/ President. But at what point would it be a problem?

Mike Huckabee and Chris Christie look as if their tickers are ticking time bombs.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »

Republicans weren't worried about Reagan in 1980 and certainly not worried with him 4 years older in 84' We aren't worried now. Add 4 years and you have Biden's age and its clear he will run if she doesn't, and possibly even if she does.
I know vigorous people in their 80s and decrepit people in their 60s. It's not just about calendar age.

The question isn't about whether her age will be a negative, since we don't know. I'm curious about what it would take as a fan of hers to be concerned. At what point would party actors feel the same way?
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:51:14 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2014, 12:55:55 PM by Liberalrocks »

I know vigorous people in their 80s and decrepit people in their 60s. It's not just about calendar age.

The question isn't about whether her age will be a negative, since we don't know. I'm curious about what it would take as a fan of hers to be concerned. At what point would party actors feel the same way?

Well the thread refers to age here, as with any candidate regardless of calendar age if they exhibit signs of physical or cognitive limitations there would be cause for concern. I believe those limitations causing her to possibly be unfit would be apparent to most americans at that point. I don't think it would be a case of only 25% of her party noticing it. I do recall before Reagans stellar "won't make an issue of my opponents age" debate he had a VERY poor first debate with Mondale which left many were questioning his age. Mondale actually saw an uptick in his numbers briefly because of it. So this likely could be a debate for anyone over a certain age as the media loves to play the age card regardless of who it is. She would be hardly the first candidate to run at an older age. I think this point can't be stressed enough.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »

If she started having problems with her mental faculties, or if there was another blood clot in her sinus.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »

I'm more worried about Christie's obesity.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »

Clinton's age is irrelevant, as others have said, it's her health that's important. Age shouldn't be a barrier in running for President - as someone who's a fan of Reagan, and as someone who backed Paul in the 2012 primary, it would be extremely hypocritical for me to grill Clinton over her age.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »

I don't see this being an issue at all in 2016.  You just don't criticize the first woman nominee on anything that could be tied to her appearance and have your political career survive.  If she is personally concerned about her health, it might be her plan from the beginning not to run again in 2020.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »

Clinton's age is irrelevant, as others have said, it's her health that's important. Age shouldn't be a barrier in running for President - as someone who's a fan of Reagan, and as someone who backed Paul in the 2012 primary, it would be extremely hypocritical for me to grill Clinton over her age.
Age and health are tied together. You're closer to the grave at 68 than at 60.

I don't see this being an issue at all in 2016.  You just don't criticize the first woman nominee on anything that could be tied to her appearance and have your political career survive.  If she is personally concerned about her health, it might be her plan from the beginning not to run again in 2020.
A handful of potential nominees won't have to worry about a political career (Well, mainly Jeb.) And there are a lot of surrogates who could make mean comments, while distancing themselves from the Republican party's nominee.

But I don't see questioning someone's age as that significant.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »

Age/health is a valid concern, but unless she has another incident between now and the election, I don't see it being brought up. If there is another incident, she probably won't run. The only way I see her age/health being an issue is if she has another health crisis during the campaign. That could sink her campaign.
I'm not sure it would be so binary, that it wouldn't be an issue unless it's enough to sink her primary campaign.

I wonder if her lead is enough to give her more of a cushion than an Al Gore, Joe Biden or John Kerry. That could end up being problematic.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »

I'm more worried about the fact that she'd be an awful President.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 08:58:31 PM »

The Tea Party agrees. Democrats do not.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »

Roll Eyes

Is that so?  Are you so certain of it? 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 12:17:29 AM »

Roll Eyes

Yep, pretty d*** certain.  She's a completely unprincipled, war-mongering, race-baiting corporatist demagogue who would sellout her mother for a vote and has the wrong temperament for the job.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 06:41:28 AM »

Roll Eyes

Yep, pretty d*** certain.  She's a completely unprincipled, war-mongering, race-baiting corporatist demagogue who would sellout her mother for a vote and has the wrong temperament for the job.
I can't believe I see a D by your Name

Contrary to what the media would have you believe plenty of Democrats don't want to nominate her.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »

Roll Eyes

Contrary to what the media would have you believe plenty of Democrats don't want to nominate her.

As is well reported, 65+% do, we get it. You're not a persecuted minority and there's no conspiracy to suppress other candidates.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »

Roll Eyes

12. Is your opinion of Hillary Clinton favorable, unfavorable or haven't you heard enough about her? (Among Democrats):

Favorable: 90%
Unfavorable: 5%

14. Do you think Hillary Clinton would make a good President or not? (Among Democrats):

Yes: 87%
No: 5%

Link
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »

Roll Eyes

As is well reported, 65+% do, we get it. You're not a persecuted minority and there's no conspiracy to suppress other candidates.

I wouldn't be so sure about that last bit. There was a conspiracy to suppress other candidates back in 2008, I can't even imagine how entitled the Clintons must feel this time around.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »

1. Only she herself and a handful of closest advisers can answer this question. But this is why I oppose pressuring her to get into the race sooner than she wants. If she doesn't have the health for the job, we don't want her running out of a sense of obligation. On the other hand, if she is ready, we don't want to lose what is by far our best chance of holding onto the presidency. So she should be allowed to take as much time as possible and make the right decision.

2. A great deal of health is psychological. A person who is stressed, unhappy, angry, et cetera will age worse than someone who is happy, enjoying themselves, and living life to its fullest. Incidentally, the latter person will also be a much better candidate and campaigner, and will inspire the same in her supporters. So if Clinton does run, it is critical that she is in mode 2.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »

Roll Eyes

I wouldn't be so sure about that last bit. There was a conspiracy to suppress other candidates back in 2008, I can't even imagine how entitled the Clintons must feel this time around.

Yes, the hundreds of polls showing Hillary being the overwhelming choice of Democrats to be the nominee (many of which were done by non partisan or Republican firms) are a conspiracy. The Hillary derangement syndrome people are starting to make truthers and birthers look rational by comparison.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »

The conspiracy here is the will of the people. That is the conspiracy. Wink
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »

The conspiracy here is the will of the people. That is the conspiracy. Wink

Agreed. I humbly suggest we let a panel of Dennis Kucinich, Cynthia McKinney, and Ralph Nader pick our nominee instead. Wink
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »

Roll Eyes

Yes, the hundreds of polls showing Hillary being the overwhelming choice of Democrats to be the nominee (many of which were done by non partisan or Republican firms) are a conspiracy. The Hillary derangement syndrome people are starting to make truthers and birthers look rational by comparison.

I have no doubt Republicans would love to run against her, so its no surprise they're trying to help give her an aura of invincibility.  Btw, polls have also shown her leading in states like Arkansas and if you think that she can come even close to winning states like that, I've got a bridge to nowhere I'd like to sell you.  Fortunately, there is still plenty of time for someone to overcome her name recognition advantage (Hilary and Giuliani were supposed to be locks at the equivalent point in 2006).  Her current support is a mile wide and inch deep, a large chunck of it will disappear once she actually has to take positions on controversial issues and respond to non-conspiracy theory attacks. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies