Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:32:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 38
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over  (Read 71536 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: May 07, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »

The Ottoman Empire will not accept a status quo peace, since it would effecively mean a Russian victory.

We find that propostrous to make such a deal after all sacrifice made by the allies and after all agressive and purely terrorist moves by Russia.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #376 on: May 07, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »

OOC: I actually expected to get thrashed in Asia-Pacific and do better in Europe, but I guess my fortunes have been reversed. Also, is Bulgaria a formal member of the Orthodox League now or just a co-belligerent?

I was expecting the same, but no matter how hard I tried, the numbers pushed me to that result. Bulgaria is only a co-belligerent in light of Turkish aggression, they are not interested in the League yet.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #377 on: May 07, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »

We are not pursuing a status quo peace and are prepared to make sacrifices, but we will not compromise our internal security. We have already taken a unilateral step towards peace and there will be more if the Allies are willing to come to the table.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #378 on: May 07, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »

We are delighted with our British and German allies' splendid successes in Poland, Montenegro, Kamchatka, Dardanelles, Baltic and other fronts. With the Ottoman Empire coming closer and closer to achieve our initial strategic goals, we all can see Russia is on defensive!

x Abdul Hamid II
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #379 on: May 07, 2014, 11:27:28 PM »

Crisis! – William Jennings Bryan killed in prison, the army faces the protesters in DC!

William Jennings Bryan
1860-1903

TO: United States.

The arrest of William Jennings Bryan surprised and shocked America, as most believe believed McKinley not to mind the relentless verbal assault of the former Presidential candidate. Thousands of Americans marched on Washington D.C to protest as Bryan was interrogated by the Bureau of Investigation (which has faced a massive increase in responsibilities and assets since being created) and interrogated to determine if he was a Russian spy. Bryan was imprisoned awaiting trial, and the nation prepared itself to see Bryan use his charisma to fight in one of the most amusing trials of the century. Alas, it was not to be. One of his prison mates chose to finish Bryan's career and life by stabbing him to death and then proceeding to assault the guards with an impressive amount of violence, leaving them no option but to shot him to death. The killer's identity has not been released by the Department of Justice, and his motivations for the crime are unknown for the time being, although he has been portrayed as a Russian immigrant by some members of the administration.

Of course, this only emboldened the protesters in Washington, who were quick to accuse the President of having a hand behind Bryan's demise. In response to this terrible accusation, the protesters were accused of being Russian agents as well, and orders were given to military orders to occupy Washington DC and expel the protesters. At some moment, the protesters ended up fighting the military, leaving several dead and dozens of wounded across the capital. In the end, hundreds of protesters are in jail and awaiting a potential trail for treason and sedition, and Washington DC is currently under military control. The rest of the nation and Congress have failed to react immediately thanks to the shock, but this is not going to end well.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #380 on: May 07, 2014, 11:41:20 PM »

I ask the Speaker of the House to convene Congress for a Presidential Address to the Nation

OOC... I will post this shortly
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #381 on: May 07, 2014, 11:56:34 PM »

My fellow countrymen

I come before you today in a time of great national strife... our world has been thrown into chaos by tyrants abroad, and agents within our homeland have now drawn blood in their attacks on our republic. Let there be no mistake- William Jennings Bryan was a traitor to his nation, but he deserved a fair trial under the law of the land. I condemn Russia's attempt to create furor in our nation by sending an agent to kill another of his fellow agents. However- such is what we have come to expect of Russian methods

We must not allow these foreign agents to crack the united will of the American people! We have gone from thirteen disunited colonies to one of the leading nations of the world. As your President- it falls on me to be the guardian of the Republic. As such- I announce that as in the troubled times in which Abraham Lincoln served as President- during which I fought as one of his Union's soldiers- I must now suspend the writ of habeas corpus. I announce that organized protests against our nation's war efforts till not be tolerated. Let us band together- not break from within.

I ask the American people to stand together in this time of national crisis- I place myself at your service and if I am killed in the process, at least I will have died for my country
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #382 on: May 08, 2014, 12:43:52 AM »

I declare a state of war exists in the capital district....I order two brigades of the US Army to secure the capital and a wing of the Atlantic Fleet to move north from Norfolk and secure the Potomac

Any attempt at impeachment of the Commander-in-Chief will be considered mutinous. We are a nation at war!!!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #383 on: May 08, 2014, 12:48:46 AM »

I am the guardian of the Constitution and the Commander-in-Chief of the US military....any one encouraging any soldier, sailor, or Marine to disobey and order will be seized and interned. Any one foolish enough to refuse to obey an order will be shot immediately

As you have encouraged mutiny- I order you seized
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #384 on: May 08, 2014, 12:53:08 AM »

You're ordering yourself seized?  (I moved the post you were replying to the other thread while you were writing it.)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #385 on: May 08, 2014, 12:54:32 AM »

That is in response to his post in the Sign Up and Commentary thread

I also clarify that this is not the beginning of a second Civil War... this is a group of anarchist, Russian financed, provocateurs, rioters and will be dealt with shortly
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #386 on: May 08, 2014, 05:15:35 AM »

Despite considerable differences of opinions, the Sultan is saddened with Mr. Bryan's murder and wishes to offer his condolences to the family.

This is obvious that his death was very convenient to mutual enemies of the United States and their allies and we cannot possibly rule out an outside provocation, aiming at destabilize President McKinley's (who has shows a great restrain and respect for the rule of law) government. President McKinley has, as always, our full trust.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #387 on: May 08, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2014, 08:52:21 AM by Snowstalker »

Russia will not comment on American internal politics but denies any role in Mr. Bryan's death.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #388 on: May 08, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »

Meeting of the Commanding Officers of the Joint Army and Navy Board

Gentlemen- under my administration, the power and prestige of the US military has expanded more than under any prior President... and with it, our nation has become one of the world's leaders. The American flag sails across the seven seas and our prosperity has shown the consequences. I have punished traitors and never been afraid to hail our great nation and its proud fighting force!

The men now wreaking havoc in Washington and across the country seek to seize your power. They seek to weaken our nation. They see you as enemies and you'll be jobless if they ever were to take office. Help me crush the traitorous vermin- and through me you will continue to see your power and influence rise
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #389 on: May 08, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »

The Kaiser is deeply disturbed and saddened by the murder of Mr. Bryan and offers his greatest sympathies to his family and friends.  Meanwhile, Austria-Hungary is committed to working with President McKinley and the United States to fight back against Russian terrorism and imperialism in Europe, and we defend his actions toward those ends.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #390 on: May 08, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »

Despite his self serving rhetoric, those of us seeking to end McKinley's murderous tyranny have no complaints with any who faithfully uphold their oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic". McKinley's actions have proven him to be an enemy of the Constitution rather than the defender he swore to be.  His broken oath and infidelity to the Constitution renders invalid any claim he has to be our lawful president.

Officers and men of the army and navy of the United States.  McKinley has chosen to cross his Rubicon, but you need not follow him into infamy.  Uphold your oaths and thus you will bravely preserve both your honor and the golden Republic you swore to defend instead of seeing America become a iron Empire that rusts and rots from corruption and cowardice.

The Senator has now openly advocated revolution against the government- I order his immediate detention pending charges of treason
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #391 on: May 08, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »

Despite his self serving rhetoric, those of us seeking to end McKinley's murderous tyranny have no complaints with any who faithfully uphold their oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic". McKinley's actions have proven him to be an enemy of the Constitution rather than the defender he swore to be.  His broken oath and infidelity to the Constitution renders invalid any claim he has to be our lawful president.

Officers and men of the army and navy of the United States.  McKinley has chosen to cross his Rubicon, but you need not follow him into infamy.  Uphold your oaths and thus you will bravely preserve both your honor and the golden Republic you swore to defend instead of seeing America become a iron Empire that rusts and rots from corruption and cowardice.

The Senator has now openly advocated revolution against the government- I order his immediate detention pending charges of treason

By your intolerance of political opposition, you have left those of us who treasure liberty no choice but revolution.  A revolution as noble and I pray as successful as the one that brought this republic the independence you have sought to throw away in your unholy lust for power and plunder.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #392 on: May 08, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »

By your intolerance of political opposition, you have left those of us who treasure liberty no choice but revolution.  A revolution as noble and I pray as successful as the one that brought this republic the independence you have sought to throw away in your unholy lust for power and plunder.

I am tolerant of opposition- loyal opposition... I am not tolerant towards traitors who have advocated against our nation from the start of the war. I understand William Jennings Bryan was only a baby when our nation fought itself, but he should have listened to some one older and wiser...then he would have realized the wounds he was opening with his disgusting,unpatriotic tirades against America. Do not confuse the entirety of opposition to me with a few select group of dangerous traitors
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #393 on: May 08, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »

I am tolerant of opposition- loyal opposition... I am not tolerant towards traitors who have advocated against our nation from the start of the war. I understand William Jennings Bryan was only a baby when our nation fought itself, but he should have listened to some one older and wiser...then he would have realized the wounds he was opening with his disgusting,unpatriotic tirades against America. Do not confuse the entirety of opposition to me with a few select group of dangerous traitors

It is you who are confused since you think mere speech can be traitorous.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #394 on: May 08, 2014, 08:45:25 PM »

-Japan:
While the mixture of Jewish immigrants and the economic reforms concerning the Zaibatsu have improved the Japanese economy by a great margin, the fact remains that Japan doesn’t have the industrial strength to remain at war for a very long period. Limited operations are more than encouraged in regards to the war, but going all-out is bound to hurt your economy. Choose wisely.
In regards to your colonial empire, Governor-General Matsukata reports that the Filipino insurgency seems to be dying down thanks to the lack of Russian weapons (as they are confiscated before reaching the island). On the other hand, Governor-General Kodama reports that Russian spies have started to undermine the progress done so far in Formosa, pushing extremist groups to confront the Japanese garrison. It’s nothing big so far, but if the people start to sense weakness…

These issues shall be resolved in the war thread.

Katsura Taro is back with full force, and he finally has the powerbase he needs to work with the House of Peers and the Lower House without having to cede to Saionji in every single issue. However, the price he had to pay was to pledge his support to the nationalists, who are increasing their influence in the army at an alarming level. Some of your courtiers recommend making the Navy a stronghold for the loyalists to your person, taking advantage of the status of your naval commanders as heroes following the successful naval campaign in the East.

My courtiers offer wise counsel. We shall focus on making the Navy a force we can depend on.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #395 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »

It is not the policy of France to comment on the internal policies of the United States as we are allied nations. I do want to express our deep concern over this situation. We trust the American people will be able to work out this situation themselves and we hope that our friends across the sea will find a peaceful solution to their current crisis.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #396 on: May 08, 2014, 08:54:21 PM »

OOC: Since Ernst and Clarence seem to be engaged in a war to the death, I might as well continue with this storyline. However, I don't expect to create any further special events or crisis regarding America until the next turn starts.

Crisis! – America bitterly divided, what will McKinley do?

TO: United States.

Sadly for the nation, the reaction of President McKinley only seemed to have made things worse and increase the distrust of the administration in some parts of the country. On one hand, his address to the nation was mostly well-recieved (and won him the conservatives), but many opponents were quick to point out that the President couldn't just declare Habeas Corpus suspended, and that the amount of troops sent to Washington was too high. Then, Senator Joel Stone suddenly took the mantle of Bryan's resistance to McKinley, spoke against the address and even stated that McKinley was guilty of conspiring to kill Bryan. He and some of his friends introduced Articles of Impeachment against the President, and all hell broke loose.

President McKinley continued to attack Congress, stating that any attempts to impeach him were mutinous, that Senator Stone was to be arrested, and he met with the leaders of the Army and Navy to secure their support in what has become the greatest Constitutional crisis since, perhaps, Johnson's failed impeachment in 1868. Protests started to expand throughout the South and some parts of New England (specially New York), and as Congress debated impeachment the nation was bitterly divided between McKinley and Bryan/Stone supporters, which Hearst staging a comeback by launching his newspapers after the President and leading the charge among the more internationalist Democrats to impeach McKinley.

The entire cabinet remains divided as well, with Secretary of State Hay and even Secretary of Defense Taft deeply worried on the outcome of the crisis. So far, they have all gathered to convince the President that, in order to defuse the crisis, he must tolerate current criticism and allow for the protest to continue instead of cracking down on them. They are confident that impeachment can be defeated on the House thanks to the Republican majority if LaFollette says loyal, but in order to achieve that some compromises have to be made. They also recommend that Senator Stone should be released from jail before he becomes a martyr.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #397 on: May 08, 2014, 09:49:29 PM »

I recognize the concerns of some members of Congress regarding my unilateral suspension of habeus corpus....It is improper for the President to do so himself. I instead propose that we empower the Presidency to act quickly and decisively in case of emergency- I propose

The Emergency Response Act of 1903

The President of the United States may govern by decree for a period of six months (one turn) on issues directly related to a national emergency

I urge Congress to pass this immediately and I am confident with Republican majorities in both houses- it will be done

As a measure of good will to show my respect for Congress- I order the immediate release of Senator Stone
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #398 on: May 09, 2014, 05:36:37 AM »

During the war with Entente, the Ottoman Empire proved that in face of overwhelming odds we were willing to cede substantial territories in order to achieve lasting peace. Allies demands toward Russia are in no way that severe (in fact, our demands are most moderate) and we believe St. Petersburg should do a reasonable thing by agreeing - in their own interest. Prolonger war would only means bigger losses and we do not wish to see that happening.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #399 on: May 09, 2014, 07:01:05 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

His Imperial Majesty The Emperor of Japan
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies