Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:27:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 38
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over  (Read 72273 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: June 06, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »

The US Navy's Mediterranean Task Force is ordered to assist our allies in Morocco upon request

The USA commends the Belgian Parliament for seizing the Congo- we offer humanitarian assistance as requested
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #651 on: June 06, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »

Map updated! (Hopefully it will work this time)

Also, there's a special event coming this afternoon. This one is designed to create a new storyline, so stay tuned!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #652 on: June 06, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »

You gave the wrong half of Bulgaria to Turkey. Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #653 on: June 06, 2014, 12:57:20 PM »

You gave the wrong half of Bulgaria to Turkey. Tongue

What? Oh, for god's sake... Time to correct again!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #654 on: June 06, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »

The French Navy will also assist the American blockade and we ask the U.S. for any and all possible assistance they are willing to provide.

We will send a further 10,000 troops into Morocco. Since he is marching north, I will instruct French forces to first concentrate on attacking Raisuli. I will have Marshal Joffre attack Raisuli from the south. I will instruct naval forces to lay siege to Agadir. I ask the Italian and Ottoman forces to siege the port city and I will link up with them once I've gotten Raisuli from the north and south.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #655 on: June 06, 2014, 01:32:04 PM »

I ask the Italian and Ottoman forces to siege the port city and I will link up with them once I've gotten Raisuli from the north and south.

As you wish.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #656 on: June 06, 2014, 01:38:18 PM »

The French Navy will also assist the American blockade and we ask the U.S. for any and all possible assistance they are willing to provide.

We will send a further 10,000 troops into Morocco. Since he is marching north, I will instruct French forces to first concentrate on attacking Raisuli. I will have Marshal Joffre attack Raisuli from the south. I will instruct naval forces to lay siege to Agadir. I ask the Italian and Ottoman forces to siege the port city and I will link up with them once I've gotten Raisuli from the north and south.

Of course.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #657 on: June 06, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »

A Declaration of His Imperial Majesty, Kaiser Franz Ferdinand I, Clarifying Suffrage Laws within the Empire
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #658 on: June 06, 2014, 09:43:09 PM »

Event – Bloodless Coup in Austria-Hungary, Franz Ferdinand forced to abdicate!

TO: All players.

From all the nations that witnessed good or bad things happen to them after the balance of the world started shifting in 1901, Austria-Hungary had the complicated situation of having both. Kaiser Franz Joseph had always been respected due to his long reign, acknowledged as the last monarch of the “old school”. Sadly, his leadership abilities waned at the turn of the century, and a series of poorly executed moves (which included the anathema of giving Trieste away to Italy) ended up forcing his abdications as the hands of disaffected groups in the military, headed by the ambitious Conrad Von Hotzendorf, who went from Commander of the Trieste Garrison to one of the leading men in the army and a candidate for Chief of Staff. It was expected that Franz Ferdinand would be the energetic and militaristic leader that would lead Austria-Hungary to victory, but that perception went wrong rather quickly. Despite the success that holding onto Bosnia-Hercegovina meant, Franz Ferdinand was often inactive or vague over orders, bringing some frustration to the political leaders in the Reichsrat.

It was the Great Russian War what ended up turning some mild discontent into full resentment, as Franz Ferdinand let Chancellor Von Bulow handle most affairs while the Austrian troops suffered from a lack of initiative and major losses in Transylvania, which caused major instability within the Empire. Doing their best to restore the situation, Hotzendorf and his officers demanded to Franz Ferdinand to act, which then turned into an embarrassing attempt for a separate peace, further enraging the subjects of the Empire. But what finally destroyed the Kaiser was his infamous law allowing for women’s suffrage, which was badly implemented and had the virtue of pushing Hotzendorf, the Hungarian and Austrian Nobility and other sectors over the edge. Plots started to form, there were rumors of foreign money involved and everybody looked over to Conrad Von Hotzendorf and Chancellor Von Bulow, the only ones with credibility (since the Reichsrat had fallen into further irrelevance).

The Reichsrat, handled by Von Bulow and the Imperial Council, handled by Hotzendorf, declared that the Kaiser’s health had deteriorated too much in the past years, and that it was on the best interest of the nation for him to abdicate. Military units took temporary control over some key places in Budapest and Vienna while Schönbrunn Palace was left blocked from the rest of the nation. Bulow and Hotzendorf went to Schönbrunn personally to meet with the Kaiser, but how exactly that meeting went is a secret lost to history. Either way, a few hours later it was announced that the Kaiser had abdicated due to his ill health, and that he had taken Countess Sophie and his family and left to Prague Castle to recover and enjoy some peace (just as Ferdinand I had done when he had abdicated to Franz Joseph). The next day the military troops left the streets in Budapest and Vienna, and it was announced that Archduke Otto Franz wouldn’t be taking the throne due to his painful syphilis, which forced to stay out of the public eye. As a result, the crown passed to the young Archduke Charles, seventeen years old.

After other arrangements, it seemed to most political observers that Hotzendorf, Bulow and some political elements of the two major nations of the Empire had managed to create a compromise, as it was decided that Kaiser Charles I/IV would officially take the throne by his eighteenth birthday on late 1905, leaving a full year of regency on the hands of Archduke Otto Franz, who kindly resigned the honor to a Regency Council led by Bulow, Hotzendorf, new Foreign Minister Alois von Aehrenthal and ambitious new Hungarian Prime Minister Count Stephen Tisza. The four men are expected to use that year to enact urgent reforms to Austria-Hungary and save the Empire from ethnic collapse, and they are expected to use every single method they can use, including forcing the Reichsrat to pass legislation if needed be.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #659 on: June 06, 2014, 09:43:52 PM »

An Explanation:

Yes, Oldiesfreak/Franz Ferdinand gets a game over. A mixture of inactivity, war performance and some bad choices eventually led to him being overthrown and now Windjammer takes over Austria-Hungary as the Regency Council (hopefully Cranberry can take full control over Germany now). This arrangement will last for two turns, Early and Late 1905, and in the meantime I will find a player for Austria-Hungary (I believe Butafly mentioned some interest in being a player). Some of the changes and storylines moving forward might not be overtly realistic (at the level of alternate history), but I believe the more fun the game is the better, and I trust Windjammer not to disappoint us with his reform of Austria-Hungary. Now, for the updated cast:

Updated Cast:

GM: LumineVonReuental.
Assistant GM: Windjammer.

Current Players and Leaders:

Prime Minister Waldeck-Rousseau: Dr. Cynic. (1901-1904) (Next turn will have the next PM)
Tsar Nicholas II: Snowstalker. (1901- )
Emperor Mutsuhito: SJoyce. (1901- )
Sultan Abdul Hamid II: Kalwejt. (1901- )
King Vittorio Emmanuele III: Sawx. (1901- )
Kaiser Wilhelm III: TheCranberry. (1902- )
Prime Minister Arthur Balfour: Spamage. (1903- )
Regency Council of Austria-Hungary: Windjammer. (1904 - )
President John Hay: Clarence. (1905 - )

Old Players and Leaders:

Kaiser Wilhelm II: IBDD. (1901-1902)
Kaiser Franz Joseph I: Jack Enderman. (1901-1902)
Prime Minister Salisbury: Spamage. (1901-1903)
President William McKinley: Clarence. (1901-1905)
Kaiser Franz Ferdinand I: Oldiesfreak. (1903 - 1904)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #660 on: June 07, 2014, 02:12:20 AM »

Germany congratulates Kaiser Karl for his ascension to the throne, and I advise him to work closely with his wise council of consultants. I hope, that our mutual partnership, that has always been for our both good, can continue under the new Kaiser!

As my Chancellor Bernhard von Bülow is going to Austria to advise the new Kaiser, I hereby appoint Mr Arthur von Posadowsky-Wehner, the current Vice Chancellor and Secretary of the Reichsamt des Inneren, to Chancellor. Mr von Posadowsky-Wehner is respected throughout the Reich, also with moderate and social-democratic forces, and will continue von Bülow's work.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #661 on: June 07, 2014, 04:25:31 AM »

The Ottoman Empire offers its most heartfelt congratulations to Kaiser Karl on his ascension to the throne. Also, we congratulate Chancellor von Posadowsky-Wehner on his appointment.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #662 on: June 08, 2014, 10:18:45 AM »

Well, it was nice while it lasted.  I won't miss it, though. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #663 on: June 08, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »

Well, it was nice while it lasted.  I won't miss it, though. Smiley

We won't miss you Smiley
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #664 on: June 08, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »

not enough blood Sad
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #665 on: June 08, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »

I didn't even read Franz-Ferdidand's last declaration before, but now again not everyone has the right to vote. It only states that you can't be denied the right to vote because of sex, which has absolutely no meaning as every woman is already allowed to vote. Austria however had the voting rights only for rich men before 1907, meaning that poor men are still denied the right to vote, as they are denied it because of income and not of sex.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #666 on: June 14, 2014, 05:33:34 PM »

End of Late 1904:

The war is over, finally over, and while Eastern Europe wasn't as damaged as it should have been, the chaos will still take time to be solved. Germany is now the stronger power in Eastern Europe, controlling the Baltic Nations, Lithuania and Poland as puppets. With Russia suffering from internal strife and Austria-Hungary focusing on reforming the government after the "voluntary" abdication of Franz Ferdinand I, Germany is now free to expand and prove that they are the dominant power under Wihelm III and his new chancellor.

The rest of the world sees limited warfare in Morocco, Libya and Afghanistan, but other conflicts have ended as well, now that the last Filipino rebels have given up and a coup in Colombia to force the separation of Panama was aborted. So far there are no major wars in the horizon, but it's hard to tell whether the tension has been reduced or increased after all the past conflicts. Either way, the nations are changing leaders, and with the resignation of Waldeck-Rousseau and the end of McKinley's term some new blood will come to the world powers.

It's time for a realignment!

Alliances, Wars and Popularity:

-Ongoing Wars:

-Senoussi War:
  -Relative rebel control of the desert, British and French control of the Libyan coastline.

-Third Afghan War:
  -Full rebel control of Afghanistan.

-Invasion of Morocco:
  -Civil war, Allies control almost the entire coast line and Raisuli goes north.

-Popularity Ratings:
(Will be updated in Late 1905)

-Tsar Nicholas II: Medium.
-President William McKinley: Medium.
-Kaiser Wilhelm III: High.
-Kaiser Franz Ferdinand I: Low.
-Prime Minister Waldeck-Rousseau: High.
-Prime Minister Balfour: High.
-Emperor Mutsuhito: Very High.
-Sultan Abdul Hamid II: High.
-King Vittorio Emmanuele III: High.

Current Alliances:

Three Power Alliance (USA, UK and Japan)
Quadruple Alliance (Germany, Italy, Austria-Hungary and Japan) ("Generalissimo Franco is still dead"?)
Franco-Russian Alliance (France and Russia)
Franco-American Alliance (France and USA)
Franco-British Alliance (France and the UK)
Turkish-American Alliance (Ottoman Empire and USA)
Turkish-German Alliance (Turkey and the German Empire)
Adriatic League (Greece and Italy)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #667 on: June 14, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »

Turn Nine - Early 1905: (Part I)

-Russia:

The war is over, but that doesn't mean Russia is in peace. Disturbed at the loss of such large portions of territory, the Black Hundreds and Okhrana have begun to turn against Goremykin, which only adds to the massive chaos across Russia. The nation won't have to worry about reconstruction, but the social tension is higher than even and your popularity is quickly decreasing. Bold actions will be needed to save Russia.

Refusing an offer to receive further training, the sailors of the Black Sea Fleet have acted and taken control of the fleet after killing most of the officers. Knowing that Sevastopol is surrounded by Ukraine now, they have taken control of the city after bloody street battles against the Black Hundreds, and now they seem to be fighting for power as well. Nobody knows what they want and there's no true leader yet, but the city is lost.

Taking the opportunity, the Finish aristocracy and military officers have demanded full internal autonomy and a series of moves that would secure the independence of Finland in all but name. The Army is weakened, but the best troops are near Petrograd and ready to act if needed be. Because of that very same army strength Father Gapon and his followers have fled (which means you know have Petrograd controlled with an iron fist), but the workers are striking across the European part of Russia and they only grow bolder and bolder as the Okhrana sponsored unions join them.

In one of the few good news for this year, the Viceroy of the Far East reports that the Transiberian Railroad is now fully repaired, and steps are being taken in order to make it larger and more efficient. Goremykin has also opened new trade routes, and he argues that as soon as the workers are crushed the Russian economy will be able to rebound.

-United Kingdom:

The Trafalgar Memorial was inaugurated by yourself, the Cabinet and thousands of Britons who came to pay their respects, all of them visibly moved and ready for revenge. Scotland Yard continued to investigate as hard as they could, and they realized something truly shocking: one of the world powers was definitely behind this attack (it was too well organized to be the work of anarchists), and they manage to rule Russia out, meaning that there is someone out there who sponsored this attack without being at war (or apparently, at odds) with the Empire.

Ibn Saud has obviously accepted your generous offer, and he has returned to Arabia to raise his armies and restart the unification process to defeat the House of Rashid. Thus, the newly crowned King Ibn Saud of Arabia has formally recognized the British protectorates elsewhere in the region, but he has also requested supplies, weapons and instructors for his army.

The Conservatives and the Unionists have backed off for now thanks to your leadership (you are finally changing your original perception as a somewhat weak leader when compared to Salisbury), but that doesn't mean they will remain silent forever.  There's a General Election next year, the Liberals are energized and many Cabinet members are considering leaving the Cabinet. Chamberlain has managed to stop a few defections (like MP Winston Churchill), but if he leaves, the government will be left in a weak state.

What should be done about Ireland? The Irish Parliamentary Party only grows stronger every year, and there are concerns about the ongoing political struggle. You have gone on record saying that Irish Home Rule is ridiculous and a half-baked solution, and your party wants to know if you are still behind those words.

-France:

With everybody surprised at Pierre Waldeck-Rousseau's resignation, the Cabinet and the Chamber quickly scrambled to choose a Prime Minister/President of the Council. Combes would have seen as the logical successor, but the catholics hated him, leaving Clemenceau to deliver a series of grandiose speeches along with Delcasse, but they proved to be unacceptable for the coalition to hold as well. Rouvier was unpopular in light of his stance to compromise with Germany, but with Pierre Waldeck-Rousseau's earlier success in Alsace-Lorraine, Rouvier had a past success on which to campaign against Delcasse, who became the main threat.

In the end, Rouvier was chosen as a caretaker until the Late 1905 General Election. For now on you are Maurice Rouvier, but the next election will come soon and it will be up to you to choose who to lead. The decision can be taken now or next turn, but you need to choose whether to revive the Left-Block under a new leader (Delcasse, Clemenceau or inexperienced newcomer Gaston Doumergue) or lead the Grand Coalition under Rouvier. You will also have to outline the policies for the year, and it has been suggested to start with some reform of the pensions for old age Frenchmen.

The Pied-Noirs left Paris more than satisfied, and while this is making the Right more and more angry and unwilling to support the government, the flag of equality has become a very powerful rallying point for most members of the government coalition.

-Germany:

Schnee has been taken by surprise by your positive reception, and he gladly accepted the audience. Essentially, Schnee stated that he believes expansion in Africa to be a good thing for the Empire, as long as the territories are concentrated and not split as they currently are. Schnee proposed to send massive amounts of economic and cultural aid to develop the colonies, and while he knows that the expense is going to be large and revenues will only come in the long term, he feels it's worth the attempt. He also made a very strong case for the Azeri troops in Tanzania, arguing that they have proved very effective and loyal as soldiers in the past years.

The elections in Poland have taken place as efficiently as it could be done, presided by King Adam Ludwik I. Despite a close result, Pilsudski has scored an upset over Dmowski, and he is now the sole Prime Minister of Poland. On one hand, Pilsudski is not happy with continued German rule over some Polish lands and he will try to assert Poland's independence, but on the other hand he will have a hard task ahead with reconstruction, so Poland will take its time.

Now that the Baltic Duchy and Lithuania have been reorganized, it's time to appoint a monarch! Let's see houses and candidates:

Lithuania: (Thanks to Kalwejt for his help on this one)
-While there are no native dynasties since the last one died out, there are some princely houses from Lithuania and Poland that might serve to fill the role: Radziwill, Sapiecha and Giedroyc. The Houses of Sapiecha and Radziwill are currently more identified with Poland (they contested the King election), and the Giedroyc is probably the most Lithuanian of the three. Candidates are Prince Wladimir Giedroyc (currently in Russia, which is a danger), Prince Wilhelm Radziwiłł (whose wife lives from scandal to scandal) and Prince Władysław Leon Sapieha (who already contended the Polish throne). You could also appoint one of your brothers as well.

Baltic Duchy: (Thanks to Kalwejt for his help on this one as well)
-Here it gets harder, as the Duchy doesn't truly have a common identity, but the House of Giron is the claimant to Courland. Sadly, the line is confused, and most of the claimants are either female or linked to the French aristocracy. Once more, you can always use a German Prince.

Once again, Kaiser Wilhelm, you have to marry! The Court is now talking about you being unwilling to do so, and nasty rumors are being spread already,
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #668 on: June 14, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »

Turn Nine - Early 1905: (Part II)

-Japan:

-It seems the political situation has reignited once again, as Prime Minister Katsura and Prince Saionji continue to snipe at each other in the harsh battles in the Diet and the House of Peers. Katsura has followed an agenda related to Europe and the winning of the war, but it doesn't seem like he has many projects left to, as he is running out of ideas and support. Saionji Kinmochi wants to be the Prime Minister, and Hara Takashi (member of the Lower House) has presented the Crown Prince a plot to dismiss Katsura and replace him with Kinmochi to keep the members of the Genro fighting each other.

-After spending the past months in a military mission in the Ottoman Empire, Field Marshal Yamagata Aritomo has returned to Japan with a busy agenda. Enormously popular with the army and as a man who hates parliamentary democracy, Yamagata has talked against Katsura, Saionji and the navy, stating that resources should return to the army and that if Japan truly wants supremacy in the East, then they should invade Korea now that they have the chance.

-The Navy has greatly expanded with the arrival of new ships from Europe and the new bases being built across the Pacific, and they report that they are ready to sail in case they are needed.

-Some delegations from Latin America have approached the Imperial Government, stating that they are interested in increasing trade and cultural relationships with Japan, with Brazil being the most persistent (and Chile and Colombia showing a great deal of interest as well).

-Italy:

-Congratulations, your majesty! Queen Margherita has given birth to an male heir to the throne (you only had two daughters before him), Umberto, Prince of Naples. The entire nation celebrates the new heir, and your popularity continues to rise in your fifth year in the throne.

-Despite his early landslide victory there are many in the Liberal Party opposed to Giolitti and plotting to replace him at the first setback, forcing Giolitti to take more drastic actions to assert his leadership. He has proposed to you to make new reforms in the economy and go for the nationalization of a couple of sectors, starting with the railroads, key to sustain the economy and a potential war effort.

-Technological advances continue to increase, with new findings to build vehicles and airplanes. Perhaps it's time for Italy to make a truly major investment in the future and start an "air race"?

-USA:

Congratulations, President Hay! You have been inaugurated into office, and so far the United States is in a good position. Alas, there's work to be done, and you will have to choose your Cabinet (this one is optional, though) and see what will your polices be for the first 200 days. As of now, VP La Follette is asking you to take action against Wall Street and follow more progressive policies in the economy, and he is opposed by the powerful Speaker of the House, Joseph Cannon.

Although the war in Europe is over, there are still hundreds of men currently in prison for opposing the war during the constitutional impeachment crisis, many of them socialists as well. What will you do with them?

After careful consideration, Denmark has refused your offer of $20 million for Greenland, and they have been clear in stating that they will not sell the island under any circumstances.

The Nicaragua canal has begun it's construction, and experts hope it will be ready by 1913 or 1914.

-Ottoman Empire:

-The Guard of the Horn made its first appearance in Constantinople, shocking the people of the city with their discipline and impressive uniforms. With the troops well positioned to defend the Yildiz Palace and Murad dead after the war, you should be more than safe now, safer than your brother and your uncles never were.

-An urgent appeal from help has arrived from the House of Rashid. Even taking into the account the irony due to the past rivalry, they fear Ibn Saud more than they fear you, and they request weapons and supplies to fight of the new King of Arabia.

-More sources of oil have been discovered in Azerbaijan and other isolated places, and that combined to a sound economic policy has reduced the economic damage of the war to a minimum with the Bosphorus open as well. So far the Ottoman Empire is now able to fund the Baghdad Railway and the educational reforms once again, but the Empire should refrain from further massive spending in the future just to be on the safe side. Also, your new port in Morocco is starting to be upgraded and rebuilt, and having a base in the Atlantic will do wonders for the navy and for trade with Latin America.

-Mehmed Vahideddin has been taking some progress as a potential successor, and he proved crucial in defeating a couple of minor plots within the Harem. It seems he feels rather comfortable with the Secret Police, and he has requested to be a part of it as a high-ranking member of even as its leader.

-Austria Hungary:
-No crises needed here, Windjammer will handle Austria-Hungary.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #669 on: June 14, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »

Please don't post yet, five events and world crises coming!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #670 on: June 14, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »

Crisis – Cixi dies, Emperor Guangxu takes over and aborts palace coup!

That there was recent strife in the Imperial Chinese court was obvious to everybody, specially after the tensions of the outcome of the Boxer War. It seemed that the precarious balance of power would last at least for a couple of years, but Empress Dowager Cixi died from an unexpected heart attack, triggering a massive fight in Peking over the succession between Yuan Shi-Kai, Prince Chun and chief eunuch Li Lianying. Using his connections and thanks to loyal guards Prince Chun got to his brother the Emperor first, freeing him and using his influence to win the power struggle. Li Lianying was immediately executed and his allies purged, and Yuan Shi-Kai tried to escape to the German held Qingdao to escape. Alas, the rest of the Generals were determined to win Guangxu and Chun's trust, and one of them easily managed to capture and behead the political opportunist, the man who seemed to be destined to lead China at some point. Guangxu has immediately resumed his work, contacting military and political leaders across China to enact the reforms the country needs. His allies exiled in Japan, Kang Youwei and Liang Qichao have returned to the court, and they are expected to take positions formerly reserved to Cixi's loyalists. It seems China is about to face massive changes...

Crisis – Coup in Serbia, King Alexander and Queen Draga narrowly escape death!

TO: Austria-Hungary and Russia.

The King of Serbia was a man with a truly complicated situation, having to deal with an impossibly complicated internal situation and a good amount of scheming a plotting in his court. His Queen was hated, just like her family, and the King was disregarded as a fool. Yet, Serbia stood with him for the duration of the Great Russian War to fight the Austrians, only to be shocked and enraged at their defeat and humiliation. Unable to take it anymore, the remaining army officers launched a violent coup, killed Prime Minister Dimitrije Cincar-Marković, arrested all government officers while avoiding any contact with the Austrian forces and assaulted the palace. King Alexander and Queen Draga managed to escape in a miracle by a secret palace, ending in the Russian embassy while the Queen's brothers were executed by firing squad. This has led to a standoff involving the provisional government of Serbia, that wishes to see Peter Karadordevic as King without angering the Austrians and King Alexander, trapped in the Russia embassy and surrounded by hundreds of military units demanding his head.

Sweden split, independence for Norway!

After months of a tense relationship in the union and open conflict between Prime Minister Christian Michelsen and King Oscar II, Norway has finally had enough after seeing its Prime Minister deposed by the King. The Norwegian Storting has formally declared independence from Sweden and the Union, shocking the King and forcing him into planning a war. Alas, the Social Democrats of Sweden and many other parties went to the streets to oppose a war against Norway, forcing the King to accept the move and try to schedule an independence referendum. To his humiliation, the people of Norway had already set a referendum for Late 1905, which meant that Oscar was forced to accept the fait accompli. Both nations are now discussing the terms of the dissolution, and Norway is now in search for a King. Some hope they will accept one of Oscar's sons, but that doesn't seem all that plausible, leaving the throne wide open.

Battle of Fez: Joffre stops Raisuli, Spain meddles in Morocco:

After weeks of tension across Morocco, Field Marshal Joffre led a pincer attack to intercept the army of Raisuli before he could strike at the coastline, forcing a massive battle near Fez. The French forces were not really suited to desert combat, but defeat was certainly not an option. After days of maneuvers, assaults and trench fights, Raisuli was forced to call off the offensive as he could not break the French defense, and his army split into several divisions while running back into the desert. Field Marshal Joffre recommends leaving Raisuli alone and focusing on holding Fez and then assaulting Agadir, but his more enthusiastic officers argue that by leaving Raisuli to escape the war might last years, and that this is the chance to get him. But that's not all, it seems Spain has taken an offense at not being considered to split Morocco. King Alfonso XIII and his government have sent a protest to France and Italy, and they demand to be given a piece of the country as well.

Civil War, Turkestan collapses in civil war and genocide:

Everyboy knew Turkestan was doomed from the beginning, a badly organized mess of nationalities created only to weaken the Russians. It should be a surprise that the nation lasted as long as it did (one full year) before the first three coups were launched on the main cities, leading to an immediate quagmire which quickly disintegrated the country and led to the capture and execution of most of the provisional government. Afghan rebels have taken control of some zones, the Iranians have established a couple of puppet warlords, and the rest of the region has become a disaster. There are rumours of European adventures and mercenaries taking control of entire cites to rule as warlord, and even talk of ethnic cleansing in the more "diverse areas". Either way, and with Afghanistan in war and Turkestan in ruins, the "Great Game" for Central Asia is back the the beginning, and the Russian, Ottoman and British interests are at stake.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #671 on: June 14, 2014, 11:18:03 PM »

The United Kingdom recommends Arthur, the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn for the throne of Norway. He's a son of the late Queen Victoria and would prove to be a great King.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #672 on: June 15, 2014, 05:36:40 AM »

First some formalistic stuff.

We congratulate His Majesty King Vittorio Emmanuele III on such a joyful occasion as birth of his first son.

We are concerned about the crisis in Serbia and we hope the situation can be resolved peacefully.

Last, but not least, we are pleased to recognize independence of the Kingdom of Norway and offer our congratulations toward its people on achieving their sovereignty.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #673 on: June 15, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2014, 12:22:22 PM by Abdul the Red »

The Ottoman Empire - Early 1905

Domestic Affairs:

- We are very pleased with an extraordinary success of our domestic projects. Now, that we've got funds and our nation is at peace (we do not consider Morocco a „war”, more an expedition), it is imperative to continue with them. Until already existing projects are completed, there will be no more grand projects initiated, as overextending our reforms is as dangerous as making no effort at all.

- Since we've got direct funds to continue with our domestic projects, we shall not spend Russian war reparations (4 billions of Golden Franks, IIRC) on them. Instead, we shall use these money to enlarge our gold reserves.

- The Sultan is most pleased with performances of his dear brother, Mehmed Vahideddin, and the Grand Vizier Hilmi Pasha, two very able men.

Military Affairs:

We are not interested in maintaining a huge, mass army in peacetime. It is not only a heavy burden for the state, it also stifles our military capabilities.

Our goal is to have a sufficient, professional army in peacetime, with capability of quick mobilization in case of general war.

In order to increase our mobilization capabilities, we order a formation of the Ottoman National Guard: a locally based small, professional units that would provide a periodical military training for reservists, and provide leadership in case of mobilization.

Another group of reservists will be periodically called to serve in the Public Work Corps (a wartime invention we shall retain on smaller scale) to assist with implementation of our domestic programs as alternative way of military service.

Foreign Affairs:

Serbia:

The Ottoman Empire is concerned with the crisis in Serbia, given the fact we are neighbours and our desire to maintain stability in such a sensitive spot as the Balkans.

As states before, we have abandoned any ambitions to extend our influence, whether officially or unofficially, in the Balkans. However, we wish to offer our services in helping to end the crisis if requested by sides.

Turkestan:

The Ottoman Empire is most disturbed with the breakdown of Turkestan for obvious strategic reasons, as well as the fact these are our Turkic brothers.

We believe the international community ought to get its act together and do its utmost to help restoring peace there. At the same time, we feel strongly that no foreign power should be allowed to take advantage of the situation. The Ottoman Empire officially renounces any pretense to extend our rule there, whether officially or unofficially, and we will oppose such moves by other countries.

Morocco:

Needles to say, the Ottoman Empire continues to stand firmly with our French and Italian allies.

Greenland:

The Ottoman Empire fully supports our American friends claim for Greenland, which is justified strategically and economically. As much as we understand the sensitive issue of national pride, we respectfully submit to Copenhagen that Denmark will benefit a lot from selling the island, as opposed to hostilities with the United States.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #674 on: June 15, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »

OOC---I am having the family over for Father's Day......I get to be spoiled!  I will reply to this either this evening or tomorrow morning...
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies