Do you think most homosexuals are gay by choice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:38:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you think most homosexuals are gay by choice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: you know the drill
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: Do you think most homosexuals are gay by choice  (Read 5850 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »

Lol. People probably aren't "born" gay, but there's no reason to believe it's a "choice". (Apologies for the PR-style scare quotes)

That's a good summation of my thoughts, too.

I mean, at the end of the day, it is a preference. What makes it any different from, say, someone's taste for broccoli? Obviously human society has made it so that "sexuality" is far more important than broccoli, but I don't think either preference is innate. Nature wouldn't hold sexuality up on a pedestal.

That being said, "choice" might not be the best word, either. It's interesting.

Oh, yes it would and does in any creature that uses sexual reproduction. 

The real answer to me is that sexual orientation is complicated.  There's some genetics, some experience, some hormonal and developmental aspects.  But, there's very little conscious choice by an individual. 

I disagree. The functionality of a penis and the mechanics of reproduction don't necessarily go hand-in-hand with attraction. I mean, aren't humans some of the only animals that get pleasure out of sex? Does "attraction" really matter in the natural world? Or is it just about doin' the dirty to make babies, regardless of an imagined "orientation?" I don't know.  I definitely don't think it's as simple as "deciding" to be gay.

Either way, you're definitely right when you say it's complex. It's for that reason that I don't feel confident making an authoritative statement on the matter. I do sometimes think it's convenient to say we are born gay or straight (is there really a way to know that?), but it's not really something that should matter. Even if it's a "choice" (by some strange perversion of the word), there's nothing inherently criminal about being gay. Societies that value freedom and equality shouldn't care why someone is the way they are; they should treat everyone with respect.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »

If gays could choose what makes their dick go hard, then I'd imagine we'd have far fewer gays in the world.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »

I believe there's a lot of bisexuals who are heterosexual or homosexual by choice, but no to this question.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 11:06:53 PM »

Lol. People probably aren't "born" gay, but there's no reason to believe it's a "choice". (Apologies for the PR-style scare quotes)

That's a good summation of my thoughts, too.

I mean, at the end of the day, it is a preference. What makes it any different from, say, someone's taste for broccoli? Obviously human society has made it so that "sexuality" is far more important than broccoli, but I don't think either preference is innate. Nature wouldn't hold sexuality up on a pedestal.

That being said, "choice" might not be the best word, either. It's interesting.

Oh, yes it would and does in any creature that uses sexual reproduction. 

The real answer to me is that sexual orientation is complicated.  There's some genetics, some experience, some hormonal and developmental aspects.  But, there's very little conscious choice by an individual. 

I disagree. The functionality of a penis and the mechanics of reproduction don't necessarily go hand-in-hand with attraction. I mean, aren't humans some of the only animals that get pleasure out of sex? Does "attraction" really matter in the natural world? Or is it just about doin' the dirty to make babies, regardless of an imagined "orientation?" I don't know.  I definitely don't think it's as simple as "deciding" to be gay. 

Yeah... You don't understand biology.  Animals have complicated mating rituals and clearly have perceptions of attractiveness.  And, obviously, animals like having sex, that's why they do it.  If it wasn't pleasurable, they would spend time finding food or trying to not get eaten by a predator. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »

There are people who do choose to be gay.

Of course, I have no way of knowing how prevalent this is among the GLBT population.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »

There are people who do choose to be gay.

Of course, I have no way of knowing how prevalent this is among the GLBT population.

Give an example, please. I'll be waiting with bated breath.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 04:26:07 PM »

Of course not.  I don't think it's 100% genetic, but it's still beyond the person's control. 

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2014, 11:55:55 PM »

The issue is moot, of course, since there's nothing inherently wrong with homosexuality.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2014, 01:25:15 AM »

I think most choices in polls like this are gay (using the third grader definition).
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »

I do believe many lesbians are predatory and angry at their fathers and society and as a result try to seduce straight women, as a way of getting revenge against society's males.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »

I do believe many lesbians are predatory and angry at their fathers and society and as a result try to seduce straight women, as a way of getting revenge against society's males.

what
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »

Lesbians are not the equivalent of the hardcore heterosexual feminists from the 1970s who called themselves "lesbians" as a philosophical stunt.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »

Good for them! Also you're wrong. Also what in the world are you talking about.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 06:54:04 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2014, 07:00:20 PM by Flo »

can you please leave?

maybe you won't leave because you're a predatory troll who's angry at a forum administrator who banned you when you were 12, and as a result you try to make sock accounts, as a way of getting revenge against the internet.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2014, 02:16:34 AM »

I think it's irrelevant why we are how we are, but I can tell you, it's definitely no choice.
As long as I recall, I've always been gay, but I don't know for sure, since I didn't know I was gay, let's say in third grade...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2014, 01:27:03 PM »

The real answer to me is that sexual orientation is complicated.  There's some genetics, some experience, some hormonal and developmental aspects.  But, there's very extremely little conscious choice by an individual. 

This sums up my view pretty well. If there is an element of conscious choice for some people (which can not be ruled out with 100% certainty with our current amount of knowledge) its so marginal that its not worth considering relative to the other factors.

Also, its pretty clear genetics is the most important element of those above.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2014, 01:37:52 PM »

Correct answer: no. /endthread
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 01:33:07 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 02:41:18 PM »

A more interesting question is if people would still support gay rights if being gay were a choice.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2014, 12:51:41 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2014, 12:54:39 AM by Ronnie »

I believe there's a lot of bisexuals who are heterosexual by choice, but no to this question.

They may choose to live with someone of the opposite sex, but that doesn't prevent them from being attracted to the same sex.
Repub242
Jack982
Rookie
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »

No, I think that they are born that way. Although I have met some homosexuals who claim they didn't have those attractions until later in life.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies