2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 11:31:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 156428 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: May 13, 2014, 06:02:44 AM »

I think he got the order mixed up in that sentence. The results and the map shows I win.
My apologies on the mix up. Kucinich won DC.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #501 on: May 13, 2014, 07:40:16 AM »

Statement from Biden Campaign
February 15, 12:01am

We are pleased to announce that today in Wisconsin and Minnesota, Senator Biden will be endorsed by Representatives Tammy Baldwin, Ron Kind, and David R. Obey of Wisconsin, Representatives Martin Olav Sabo and Betty McCollum of Minnesota, and Mayor Randy Kelly of St. Paul, Minnesota and Mayor R. T. Rybak of Minneapolis, Minnesota. All seven will appear with Senator Biden today on the campaign trail, giving their endorsement in person, as well as penning Opinion editorials and granting interviews to their local media and speaking in support of Senator Biden through those channels.
I've had Obey for a couple of turns now... If he switched horses to back, NHI, could you please let me know?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #502 on: May 13, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »

February 15, 12:01am

We are pleased to announce that today in Wisconsin and Minnesota, Senator Biden will be endorsed by Representatives Tammy Baldwin, Ron Kind, and David R. Obey of Wisconsin, Representatives Martin Olav Sabo and Betty McCollum of Minnesota, and Mayor Randy Kelly of St. Paul, Minnesota and Mayor R. T. Rybak of Minneapolis, Minnesota. All seven will appear with Senator Biden today on the campaign trail, giving their endorsement in person, as well as penning Opinion editorials and granting interviews to their local media and speaking in support of Senator Biden through those channels.
I've had Obey for a couple of turns now... If he switched horses to back, NHI, could you please let me know?
My apologies. I mixed up on this one. I've sent badgate a pm. He's still your guy.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #503 on: May 13, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »

Since when have we been giving out seven endorsements a turn? Pretty sure we had a discussion early on to limit endorsements.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #504 on: May 13, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »

Since when have we been giving out seven endorsements a turn? Pretty sure we had a discussion early on to limit endorsements.
We can limit it.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #505 on: May 13, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »

February 15. 2004 1:45 AM

RFK Stadium, Washington D.C

I spoke to Senator Kucinich and congratulated him on an excellent performance in our Nation's Capital. I spoke to Senator Biden, and noted his solid second in Nevada. Now, however the real work, both of cracking the highest, hardest glass ceiling of them all, and of actually persuading the people that the issues the Democratic Party supports are the right way to go, really begin. We are only three weeks away from Super Tuesday, and every state is a battleground of ideas, such as raising the minimum wage, which Senator Biden has so kindly brought up, fixing the issues that have plagued our military since Vietnam (and certainly helped us in Iraq or Afghanistan), defeating the revival of the PATRIOT act, or creating trade that is both free and fair as opposed to one or the other. We as a party have a long way to go, both to secure a nominee, and to secure the implementation of our ideals for the future. Hopefully you'll be with us for the ride.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #506 on: May 13, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »

I don't see an issue about asking for unlimited endorsements, but the doling out of such endorsements should clearly fall under NHI's supervision and consent.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #507 on: May 13, 2014, 09:02:57 AM »

Breaking News:

Poll: Support for Bush, Iraq war dropping
As Americans express growing unease about Iraq, President Bush's job approval rating has taken a hit, according to a poll released Friday by CNN and Time magazine.

President Bush Approval Rating
Disapprove: 47%
Approve: 46%

Iraq War: Support
The Iraq War was a Mistake: 49%
Going into Iraq was the right thing to do: 48%
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #508 on: May 13, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2014, 02:29:18 PM by badgate »

Do y'all think making a 'reference' thread for maintaining our list of endorsements might help? Apologies to NYE for the David Obey mix-up.

As for limiting endorsements, I'm okay there as well. How is 5 for the max per turn?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #509 on: May 13, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »

New Endorsers for Senator George Allen

Wisconsin Rally: Paul Ryan, Bob Kasten, and Mark Green to endorse George Allen

Small Locality near Madison, Wisconsin -- With the Wisconsin primary, Senator George Allen is tied with Mayor Rudolph Giuliani in one of the deciding primaries of the season, and he has received many important endorsements in the state, including former long-time Governor Tommy Thompson. Now he receives three endorsements: two are congressmen, and both considered up and comers for the future, and one is a former Senator who was upset by current Senator Russ Feingold. All came out on the same night to endorse Allen all for the same reasons - his conservative credentials, his record as governor of the state, and his hardline stance on taxation. This makes Rudy Giuliani's job in the state harder tonight, and this is a state that will most certainly go far into the night, but these endorsements are a good sign for the burgeoning campaign of Senator Allen. Paul Ryan in particular made a inspiring speech in favor of Allen:

"In the future we face a crisis: an entitlement crisis, and the only way we can fix it is substantial reforms to our social security program so that it can remain solvent for the years to come. The only candidate who supports and plans to introduce such reforms on day one is George Allen, and along with that, his ideas on tax reform, immigration, and education, put him in a high level of conservatism, and his leadership, both in the Senate and as Governor, put him on a tier like no other. I have confidence in all of our Republican candidates, but there is one that stands out, and it's George Allen!"

- Excerpt from Paul Ryan's speech at the George Allen rally

Mark Green and Bob Kasten were less inspiring, even with Green speculated for a gubernatorial run in 2006, but nevertheless their speeches echoed the sentiments of Congressman Ryan.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #510 on: May 13, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »

OOC: Even five seems a bit excessive. How about we have a model - at most 5 outside of campaign things, with at most 2 ads. So you could do 3 endorsements and 2 ads, or 5 endorsements and no ads. Anyone down for that?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #511 on: May 13, 2014, 02:11:14 PM »

OOC: Even five seems a bit excessive. How about we have a model - at most 5 outside of campaign things, with at most 2 ads. So you could do 3 endorsements and 2 ads, or 5 endorsements and no ads. Anyone down for that?
I support this proposal.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #512 on: May 13, 2014, 03:46:16 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2014, 10:04:27 PM by badgate »

TV Ad: Raise The Wage

MALE FACTORY WORKER: An honest day's work.
WOMAN IN OFFICE: If it's 9 to 5.
30-YEAR OLD CASHIER: Or 2 to 10.
MALE FACTORY WORKER: It deserves an honest day's pay. That's why Joe Biden is going to raise the minimum wage. In the Senate, Joe Biden made our neighborhoods safer with the Biden Crime Law.
WOMAN IN OFFICE: He wrote the Violence Against Women Act, and made sure it was signed into law.
FEMALE COLLEGE STUDENT: He passed restrictions that stopped the spread of date rape drugs.
MALE FACTORY WORKER: So of all the candidates asking for our vote, we know we can count on Joe-
WOMAN IN OFFICE: - to raise the wage.
30-YEAR OLD CASHIER: -  to raise the wage.
MALE FACTORY WORKER: -  to raise the wage.

LOGO: [Biden for President] I'm Joe Biden, and I approve this message.

Radio Ad: Constituency of One

WOMAN: When we elected Hillary Clinton to the Senate here in New York, we had high hopes that she would be up to the job. But from day one, she has worked solely for her own promotion. Our tax dollars stopped coming back home. Small businesses and constituent services have fallen by the wayside in her Senate offices. So here in New York, we've been left asking ourselves: can we really trust her to be President of anybody but herself? We didn't vote for Hillary to help her become President; she asked for our trust to represent us in the Senate and then broke it. In this primary, it's become even more clear: Hillary Clinton serves a constituency of one. [somewhat ominous, sad music]

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #513 on: May 13, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »

Biden Surrogates

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-ME)
-Feb. 15: Massachusetts - Barnstorming in Boston
-Feb. 16: Vermont - Barnstorming in Burlington & Montpelier
-Feb. 17: Rhode Island - Barnstorming in Newport

Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA)
-Feb. 15: Massachusetts - Barnstorming in Boston
-Feb. 16: Vermont - Barnstorming in Burlington & Montpelier
-Feb. 17: Rhode Island - Barnstorming in Newport

Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA)
-Feb. 15-17: Maryland - Barnstorming in Maryland

Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
-Feb. 15-17: California - Barnstorming in California

Sen. Mark Dayton (D-MN)
-Feb. 15: Minnesota - Rally in St. Paul, rally in Minneapolis with Biden
-Feb. 16-17: Wisconsin - Barnstorming and GOTV in Wisconsin

Sen. Arlen Specter (R -PA)
-Feb. 15-17: Maryland - Barnstorming in Maryland

Former Gov. Jerry Brown (D-CA)
-Feb. 15-17: California - Barnstorming in California

Gov. Jim Doyle (D-WI)
-Feb. 15: Wisconsin - Campaigning w/ Biden.
-Feb. 16: Wisconsin - Barnstorming and GOTV in Milwaukee
-Feb. 17: Wisconsin - Barnstorming and GOTV in Oshkosh

Rep. Ben Chandler (D-KY)
-Feb. 15-17: Ohio - Barnstorming in Ohio

Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)
-Feb. 15-17: Ohio - Barnstorming in Ohio

Sen. Max Baucus (D-MT)
-Feb. 15: Idaho - Barnstorming in Idaho
-Feb. 16: Utah - Barnstorming in Utah
-Feb. 17: Idaho - Barnstorming in Idaho

Sen. Herb Kohl (D-WI)
-Feb. 15-17: Wisconsin - Campaigning with Biden campaign
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #514 on: May 13, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »

The new TIME/CNN Poll shows that the Republican party can't be trusted cleaning up their mistakes. Yes, like all adults, they should have to learn from them. It is clear that the American people are moving in a new direction, and it is with Senator Biden's experienced hand on the wheel that we will get to that 21st Century America.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #515 on: May 13, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »

Tracking Poll: Wisconsin

Wisconsin: Republicans
George Allen: 37%
Rudy Giuliani: 36%
Gary Johnson: 21%
Undecided: 6%

Wisconsin: Democrats
Joe Biden: 26%
Hillary Clinton: 26%
John Edwards: 22%
Dennis Kucinich: 20%
Undecided: 8%
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #516 on: May 13, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »

New George Allen ad - Immigration

"Everyday, thousands of illegal aliens cross the board and steal employment from hard working Americans. Is that right?"

"No it's not. Hi, I'm George Allen, and we have a system of legal immigration where if you work hard and do the right things, you can become of a citizen of this great country. If I'm President, we will build a fence around our countries border, securing our opportunity. If you want to be a citizen of this country, you have to go through the right channels, and I don't think Amnesty is the right way. I have the best record on immigration in this race, and I will fight for American jobs.

I approve this message, because we need a defender of the American worker."

New George Allen ad - American Energy

"In the future, I see an America who is no longer dependent on foreign oil. Unfortunately, right now, we are facing attacks from the left that keep us dependent to foreign nations, some of the same foreign nations that harbor terrorists. My record on energy in America is simple - an all of the above energy strategy, drill for oil where we can, and explore new options like nuclear and even green. Unlike anyone in this race, I won't say no to anything that will expand the future of America.

I'm George Allen, I'm running for President, and I approve this message, because we need an energy independent future!"

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #517 on: May 13, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »

Surrogate Schedules (in Wisconsin)

Senator Rick Santorum
Feb. 15th - Barnstorming in Wisconsin
Feb. 16th - Congressional Duties
Feb. 17th - GOTV in Wisconsin

Former Congressman Jim Ross Lightfoot
Feb. 15th & 16th - Barnstroming in Wisconsin

Treasury Secretary John Snow
Feb. 15th - Work for the Administration
Feb. 16th - Fundraising in Wisconsin

Former Governor John Engler
Feb. 15th - Town Halls in Wisconsin
Feb. 16th - Barnstorming in Wisconsin

HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson
Feb. 15th - Meeting with in-state donors
Feb. 16th - Barnstorming in Wisconsin

Former Senator Bob Kasten
Feb. 15th & 16th - Barnstorming in Wisconsin

Paul Ryan

Mark Green
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #518 on: May 13, 2014, 06:14:27 PM »

Can I doll out an Edwards Ad as a SuperPAC?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #519 on: May 13, 2014, 06:37:43 PM »

New Surrogates-Hillary Clinton

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom
Alamo Square, San Francisco

It's time for the Golden Bears to arise, and show California that Hillary Clinton is the strongest candidate of them all, despite what anyone else may say!

LA City Councilman Antonio Villiaraigosa
Dodger Stadium, LA, California

On Super Tuesday all of Southern California will vote for Hillary Clinton, not because she's a woman, or because she's a partisan figure, but because she is our best candidate in November!

Former Peace Corps Director and Current UNICEF head Carol Bellamy

Faxed statement of endorsement, from Bern, Switzerland

Former Speaker of the House Tom Foley
Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena, Spokane

Senator Clinton may not have won Washington's Caucuses, but she's proven to me she can duke it out with any Republican, and that's enough for my endorsement

Former National Security Adviser Anthony Lake
Canarsie, Brooklyn

Hillary Clinton isn't naive about the threats America faces like Dennis Kucinich or Gary Johnson, nor is she too overagressive about them, a tendency which could get America into greater trouble then we started with, like Rudy Giuliani and George Allen. Hillary balances that line, perfectly ,with the occasional slip-up here and there, like any other human being.

House Minority Whip Nancy Pelosi
U.S Capitol, Washington D.C

As much as I support Senator Biden's minimum wage, bill, and will do everything within my whipping capabilities to make sure it passes, there really is no way I'm going to pass up the chance to endorse someone with a good opportunity to break America's highest "glass ceiling" , as nobody knows when such an opportunity might come again.

Former Vice-President Walter Mondale
The Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, Minneapolis, Minnesota

As the person who made the historic selection of Geraldine Ferraro as my running mate, why should I not endorse Clinton?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #520 on: May 13, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »

I don't mind, but why Edwards?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #521 on: May 13, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »

Yes, see what the other candidates think.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #522 on: May 13, 2014, 06:59:39 PM »

Yes, see what the other candidates think.

Well, I'm all in favor of it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #523 on: May 13, 2014, 07:05:37 PM »

Sure, but only this ad.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #524 on: May 13, 2014, 07:25:51 PM »

Statement from the Giuliani Campaign

Mayor Giuliani would like to thank all those who came out and voted for him on the 14th. He scored impressive wins, by both popular vote and delegates, in both Nevada and Washington, D.C. These wins show that the Mayor's campaign is not on its final legs but that it is strong and ready to fight this fight until the convention. Although Senator Allen has a minor lead in the delegate count, it is not insurmountable and can easily be overcome with a strong showing on Super Tuesday.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies