2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 08:12:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 155649 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: July 18, 2014, 01:37:58 AM »
« edited: July 18, 2014, 01:49:36 AM by badgate »

Debate Surrogates

Statement from Biden for America

The following have agreed to participate in the Presidential debate press room as surrogates on the following issues:

Gen. Wesley Clark (AR) & Sen. John Kerry (MA) - The War in Iraq

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (CA) - Terrorism ("War on Terror"); Nat'l Security

Gov. Janet Napolitano (AZ) - Immigration; Border Security

Majority Leader Sem. Tom Daschle (SD) - Healthcare

Gov. Mark Warner (VA) - Economy; Job Creation

Jesse Jackson (IL) & Congressman Ted Strickland (OH) - Minimum Wage; Worker's Rights

Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. (IL) & Senator Ted Kennedy (MA) - Public Education; College Affordability

Senator John Edwards (NC) & Bill Gates (CA) - Ending Poverty

Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin (WI) - Gay Rights

Sen. Chuck Schumer (NY) - Support for Israel; Middle East stability

Sen. Hillary Clinton (NY) - Women's Rights; Health Care

Mayor Bill White (TX) & Sen. Mark Dayton (MN) - Energy; the Environment
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1201 on: July 18, 2014, 03:03:15 AM »

Dennis Kucinich Debate Answers

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, it's absolutely time to raise it, and the fact that this hasn't already been done shows a lack of leadership from Washington, as well as an ignorance on what is really going on in Middle America. We've seen an uptick in poverty during the Bush years, and essentials in life like food and gas are rising in prices. People are being laid off and households feel the squeeze all around these days. The good news is that we have a safety net to help out people who are struggling, but we, the taxpayers, are subsidizing those making just the minimum wage when employers should be giving living wages instead of just using their profits for absurd executive salaries and bonuses.

Raising the minimum wage would not only lift millions out of poverty, but it would also boost the economy as a whole. With more to bring back home from a higher wage, you'll see Americans spend, invest, and save, which are all good for promoting economic growth, and you'll see a more sustainable economy that comes from that. Keeping people down in slave wages that make them resort to going on welfare isn't good for them and also isn't good for the taxpayers. You see those who say that raising the minimum wage will kill jobs and greatly increase prices, but many economists dispute that and point to evidence where that never happens.

My plan is to raise the minimum wage to $10 and to tie the rate to inflation for the future. Doing this will provide an immediate benefit to workers and also keep our economy strong for the long term. Vice President Giuliani doesn't seem to give much attention to raising the minimum wage, and Governor Johnson even goes as far to say that we should abolish it altogether. While I appreciate Senator Biden's efforts on raising the wage, his plan doesn't go far enough. My plan will empower Americans and leave them much better off than they are right now.

As we have seen in the last couple of years, engaging in preemptive war is a very risky and mindless strategy. Preemptive war has turned into permanent warfare, as there's currently no path towards completing the mission in Iraq and our soldiers over there are left continuously fighting in a war that has no objective anymore. Iraq has turned out to be a complete shamble, as we were duped about the evidence for going in, and the Iraqi people don't wish to see us involved in their affairs. Recklessly going in to a country like that has turned out to be bad for America and for Iraq.

We must have a more mindful and peaceful foreign policy. Our military can be used as a force of good and we should of course protect our nation's interests, but that doesn't mean that we should constantly act as the aggressors, as that only brings us more enemies across the world and actually endangers our nation. If there is very strong evidence that an active threat is coming to us, then we must come together to defend ourselves. Rather than starting conflicts, though, we should be working to end them and to normalize relations with our international neighbors. That is the way to achieve peace across the world.

During his farewell address, President Eisenhower called out the Military-Industrial Complex as a growing beast that future administrations must get a hold of, or else we'll continue to go down a bad path. If you're looking to find out where the government can make cuts, look no further than our defense budget, which continues to get more in spending every year. In fact, the Pentagon gets more than half of our discretionary spending. This isn't to say that we should cut down our defense spending to bare bones, because we can still maintain a strong defense but in a fiscally and morally responsible way. We can do this by completely rethinking our objectives. That means pulling out of the Middle East and the rest of the world; shutting down wasteful, expensive projects like new fighter jets or nuclear missiles; and doing a full audit of the Pentagon to see where else we may cut down on spending.

Along with cutting defense spending, we must also change our tax system. As it stands, the Bush tax cuts are disproportionately benefiting the richest among us, and the tax breaks and loopholes for wealthy Americans and corporations are diverting money away from priorities of the government, like healthcare or education. As President, I'll extend the tax cuts for the middle class but repeal them for high-wage earners--those who make over $250,000. They can afford having to pay higher taxes, and the benefits that will come from the new revenue are going to be tremendous. We'll have the money to pay for our essential services and we also will be able to pay down our debt over time. Promoting a policy of tax fairness is a sensible approach to increasing how much government takes in, and from there we'll be much more equipped to tackle our financial problems.

The truth is that we need a combination of spending cuts and tax increases to really address this problem. My administration will be about putting America back on track, and eliminating our deficits and reducing the debt is instrumental to that.

There's a word that I've often heard tossed around when I'm being talked about: conviction. Dennis Kucinich has conviction. Whether you agree with me on an issue or not, you know where I stand, and you know that I'll passionately fight for what matters to me. This has always been true of my career in public service.

I'll tell everybody watching at home about my days as Mayor of Cleveland. When I was Mayor, business interests came to me and gave a dire choice: either sell off the city's public electric utility. or the city goes into default. I knew that by making the city utility privatized, everyone in Cleveland would see their electric bills jump and have their wallets pinched some more. I stood firm and refused to sell it off. While this decision may have cost me my mayorship, it turned out to be the right thing to do. Cleveland Public Power is reported to have saved customers about $200 million compared to if it was in private hands, and thousands of union jobs were saved. The Cleveland City Council later publicly commended me for having the courage to stand up to big business all those years ago.

In Congress, I've kept the same convictions as I always have, standing up for the little guy and opposing special interests for the few. I was one of the few voices against Iraq from the beginning, and I've introduced meaningful, comprehensive reforms on areas such as healthcare. Although I haven't won every fight, and I've made powerful enemies along the way, I've never once thought about giving up. Vice President Giuliani, Senator Biden, and Governor Johnson are all decent men, but I stand out as the most principled and courageous candidate on this stage tonight. I've drawn the ire of banks and corporations, and I've even dodged an assassination attempt or two from holding up on principle. I've fought for people of all ages, races, and genders, and let the record stand that Dennis Kucinich will continue to fight for you as President.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1202 on: July 18, 2014, 03:44:50 AM »

Dennis Kucinich Campaign Schedule: September 28-October 2

September 28
-Town Hall in Windsor, VT
-Town Hall in Swanton, VT
-Town Hall in Essex Junction, VT
-Rally and Fundraiser in Burlington, VT
-Interviews with local media

September 29
-Town Hall in Clayton, OH
-Town Hall in New Franklin, OH
-Town Hall in Defiance, OH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Dayton, OH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Cleveland, OH

September 30
-Debate prep with Al Gore and Russ Feingold
-Presidential debate

October 1
-Barnstorming in State College, PA
-Barnstorming in Harrisburg, PA
-Barnstorming in Scranton, PA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Philadelphia, PA

October 2
-Meet and Greet in Madison, ME
-Meet and Greet in Camden, ME
-Barnstorming in Auburn, ME
-Barnstorming in South Portland, ME
-Rally and Fundraiser in Portland, ME

TV/Radio Ad: The Issues

Hi, I'm Dennis Kucinich. There's a lot of talk going on in this election, but how much of it has substance? I'm running to shake up Washington and to change this country for the better. I have a plan to immediately withdraw from Iraq, provide universal healthcare, clean up our environment, and enact fair trade. You can go to denniskucinich.us to get the full details. People say that every election is the most important one of your lifetime, but this November, you have a choice to elect a ticket that will stand up for you and bring real changes. Vote for Kucinich/Sanders, the ticket about the issues.

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1203 on: July 18, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »

Statement from the Giuliani Campaign

Following the Presidential Debate in Miami, Florida the following surrogates will be available in the Press Room to discuss specific, assigned issues. The list can be found below:

National Security, Global Terrorism, the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
Senator John McCain, III and General Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. (Ret.)

Immigration Reform, Border Control
Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge and Governor Rick Perry

Healthcare Reform
Secretary of Health and Human Service Tommy Thompson and Governor Mike Leavitt

Economic Growth
Congressman Paul Ryan

Minimum Wage, Labor Unions, Job Creation
Governor Mitt Romney and Senator Elizabeth Dole

Education Reform, Higher Education Cost
Congressman Mark Kirk and Senator Saxby Chambliss

The Middle East, Israel and Palestine
Secretary of State Colin Powell and Congressman Peter King

Women's Rights
Senator and Vice Presidential Nominee Kay Bailey Hutchison

Environment Affairs
Former Administrator of the EPA Christine Todd Whitman

Gun Rights and the 2nd Amendment
West Virginia Secretary of State Joe Manchin and Congressman Pat Toomey
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1204 on: July 18, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »

Statement from Biden for America

Senator and Vice Presidential candidate Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas will be the campaign's chief debate surrogate in the press room.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1205 on: July 18, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »

Giuliani Debate Responses

Frankly, Jim, I do. But before I answer further, I'd like to thank you for moderating this debate, I'd like to thank the University of Miami for hosting this debate, and I'd like to thank Senator Biden, Governor Johnson, and Congressman Kucinich for participating in tonight's debate. Back to the question, I think the election of any of the other men on this stage would put the United States in a dangerous place. We’re involved in three wars right now - Iraq, Afghanistan, and the War on Terror. A war requires a leader who is strong, determined, and has his full faith in the cause. I’m the only man stand here who has a strong record in national security, that is determined to win all three of these wars, who is fully supportive of the operations our troops are executing. All three of my opponents support a drawback of troops, to various degrees. This is a dangerous plan, that would make the Middle East less stable and opens the door to future acts of terrorism.
   We are winning all three of the wars we’re engaged in. In Iraq, Saddam Hussein is sitting in a prison cell, awaiting a trial, and we’re preparing for elections. In Afghanistan, the Taliban is out of Kabul and will soon be out of Afghanistan. In the Global War on Terror, our borders are safer, our children sleep soundly at night, and international travel is more secure than any time in history. I will continue these successful strategies, put in place by President Bush, as well as bring in our coalition allies for future strategy planning. Within the first year of my administration I will hold a summit in Washington for the leaders of all the coalition nations. Tony Blair, John Howard, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Silvio Berlusconi, Wim Kok, Jose Aznar, Kim Dae-jung, all the others - let’s get them all in the same room to plan out the rest of our strategy. America has the greatest armed forces on the face of Earth, but we can’t do these things unilaterally.

Jim, I'd like to respond to that, if you don't mind. First, thank you for agreeing to moderate this debate Jim, and to the University of Miami for hosting. Now, my campaign has an eight-page memo, issued in 1998 by the New York Police Department, where they begged Mr. Giuliani's mayoral administration not to place the Office of Emergency Management in the World Trade Center. The said it made the World Trade Center a target. Not once, until that tragic day, did Mayor Giuliani ever reference protecting the city of New York from terrorism. Not once did he mention the '93 attack there.

There have been interviews with the area's U.S. Attorney during the time, who says Mr. Giuliani never asked about terrorism. Even his administrative employee tasked with finding the best location for the Emergency Management office issued memos and told him personally that it was best to place it in Brooklyn, saying lower Manhattan would make it a target. Mayor Giuliani overrode the concerns, and we've all-together- had to suffer the consequences.

So when he stands here and says I'll make the Middle East more unstable, and he's the only one with a strong record in national security, especially while he opposes the Domestic Terrorism Task Force that I promise to reopen, that's just a bunch of malarkey.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1206 on: July 18, 2014, 01:54:43 PM »

Giuliani Debate Responses

Frankly, Jim, I do. But before I answer further, I'd like to thank you for moderating this debate, I'd like to thank the University of Miami for hosting this debate, and I'd like to thank Senator Biden, Governor Johnson, and Congressman Kucinich for participating in tonight's debate. Back to the question, I think the election of any of the other men on this stage would put the United States in a dangerous place. We’re involved in three wars right now - Iraq, Afghanistan, and the War on Terror. A war requires a leader who is strong, determined, and has his full faith in the cause. I’m the only man stand here who has a strong record in national security, that is determined to win all three of these wars, who is fully supportive of the operations our troops are executing. All three of my opponents support a drawback of troops, to various degrees. This is a dangerous plan, that would make the Middle East less stable and opens the door to future acts of terrorism.
   We are winning all three of the wars we’re engaged in. In Iraq, Saddam Hussein is sitting in a prison cell, awaiting a trial, and we’re preparing for elections. In Afghanistan, the Taliban is out of Kabul and will soon be out of Afghanistan. In the Global War on Terror, our borders are safer, our children sleep soundly at night, and international travel is more secure than any time in history. I will continue these successful strategies, put in place by President Bush, as well as bring in our coalition allies for future strategy planning. Within the first year of my administration I will hold a summit in Washington for the leaders of all the coalition nations. Tony Blair, John Howard, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Silvio Berlusconi, Wim Kok, Jose Aznar, Kim Dae-jung, all the others - let’s get them all in the same room to plan out the rest of our strategy. America has the greatest armed forces on the face of Earth, but we can’t do these things unilaterally.

Jim, I'd like to respond to that, if you don't mind. First, thank you for agreeing to moderate this debate Jim, and to the University of Miami for hosting. Now, my campaign has an eight-page memo, issued in 1998 by the New York Police Department, where they begged Mr. Giuliani's mayoral administration not to place the Office of Emergency Management in the World Trade Center. The said it made the World Trade Center a target. Not once, until that tragic day, did Mayor Giuliani ever reference protecting the city of New York from terrorism. Not once did he mention the '93 attack there.

There have been interviews with the area's U.S. Attorney during the time, who says Mr. Giuliani never asked about terrorism. Even his administrative employee tasked with finding the best location for the Emergency Management office issued memos and told him personally that it was best to place it in Brooklyn, saying lower Manhattan would make it a target. Mayor Giuliani overrode the concerns, and we've all-together- had to suffer the consequences.

So when he stands here and says I'll make the Middle East more unstable, and he's the only one with a strong record in national security, especially while he opposes the Domestic Terrorism Task Force that I promise to reopen, that's just a bunch of malarkey.

Malarkey? Senator, your looking back through the lens of the post 9/11 World. I'll agree that I didn't make protecting New York from terrorism a major point of my campaigns or my mayoralty, before 9/11, because it wasn't an issue. Did you ever discuss foreign jihadists attacking Wilmington in your many Senate re-election campaigns? No, because terrorism wasn't something that was a major concern until the 1993 WTC bombing and the 1995 Oklahoma City attack.
    With regards to the location of the Office of Emergency Management there are risks with any possible locations. Yes, I read the memos and reports that the WTC would make it a target. But there were also reports on the insecurity of other locations. Manhattan had one of the lowest crime rates in the city, most of the city government is centered there, it made sense to put the OEM there. You're insinuating that I caused the September 11th and the 1993 attacks, by approving the OEM in the WTC. That's wrong and rude. I did what I felt was best for my City and the people in it.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1207 on: July 18, 2014, 05:08:20 PM »

Oh, there you go again! You're always trying to make this about yourself; well let me tell you something, Mister Vice President. This isn't about you, or me. This is about the safety of America's families.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1208 on: July 18, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »

I responded to your statement, Joe, that all I did.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1209 on: July 18, 2014, 05:41:04 PM »

Debate Talking Points
Released after the 1st Presidential Debate to surrogates & the press

On Biden & Giuliani's heated exchange:
Rudy Giuliani does not even know the timeline of his own Mayorship. He says that terrorism wasn't an issue until the 1993 terrorist attack on the WTC ("terrorism wasn't something that was a major concern until the 1993 WTC bombing and the 1995 Oklahoma City attack. "); yet a moment earlier admits, and we quote: "I'll agree that I didn't make protecting New York from terrorism a major point of my campaigns or my mayoralty, before 9/11, because it wasn't an issue." So he admits that he had real-world warnings with the tragedies of WTF in '93 and OKC in '95, yet left New Yorkers wide open. As President, he will clearly leave all of America wide open and our defenses weakened for another terrorist attack.

On the issue of Office of Emergency Management's placement, he is completely false in saying that crime in Brooklyn made it a bad choice. In the New York Police Department's 8-page memo, they recommend the Brooklyn site and say that the recommended site would not be near a high crime area. He lies and says that he chose Manhattan because of the low crime rate; yet ignores that he was given ample warning that its placement in the WTC made it a major target.

Mr. Giuliani then called Senator Biden rude for "insinuating that I caused the September 11th and the 1993 attacks, by approving the OEM in the WTC". First of all, perhaps if he actually remembered his own Mayorship he would remember that the OEM was placed in the WTC in the late 90s; after the '93 attack. Make it clear Senator Biden knows Al-Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden caused September 11th. Also be sure to note that Mr. Giuliani did not know who Osama Bin Laden was on September 11th, and had to ask Henry Kissinger who he was.

His waffling on this issue when confronted by Senator Biden in the debate clearly shows how he's all talk and malarkey.

Iraq
Reiterate Senator Biden's plan of leadership to fix the Bush administration's mess in the war-torn country.

Education/College Affordability
Senator Biden will make college more affordable by requiring colleges to put 80% of your tuition money solely toward your education, and take out the interest-rate-gouging banks that disperse student loans. Senator Biden supports fair and low interest rates on these loans, and flexible repayment options for graduated students starting their careers.

Senator Biden also supports expanded Pre-K programs, particularly for low-income districts where children are being denied the fair start to their education that they deserve.

Women's Rights
A woman's right to control her body and reproductive health is not up for debate. As part of Senator Biden's healthcare plan, he will ensure that women are not discriminated against for being born with a uterus.

Minimum Wage
Senator Biden's minimum wage plan is the best one for America. It gives businesses flexibility in implementing the raise while respecting workers and ensuring that they will come out of poverty and be the engine that drives our economy back to prosperity and balanced budgets. The other candidates, particularly Vice President Giuliani, would rather balance the budget on the back of the poor. That is not Senator Biden's plan.

Energy & the Environment
Senator Biden supports Energy Independence. It will lead to greater national security, a stronger economy in America, and allow us to better control emissions in our lands and keep water and the air clean for generations to come.

On all other issues addressed in the debate, restate Senator Biden's answer.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1210 on: July 19, 2014, 01:02:18 AM »

OOC: I assume we're waiting for MadmanMotley before we post closing statements? Makes sense to me
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1211 on: July 19, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »

OOC: I assume we're waiting for MadmanMotley before we post closing statements? Makes sense to me
Yes, that's fine.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #1212 on: July 19, 2014, 10:52:55 AM »

Yes, that's fine.
Sorry, I'll have my responses up this evening.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1213 on: July 19, 2014, 06:50:35 PM »

Gary Johnson Debate Answers:

I find that is a combination of the three, the fact of the matter is that we have no way of knowing who crosses the U.S.-Mexico border. That in itself should be frightening. Not only that, but there are companies that hire these illegal immigrants, which is harmful to hard working Americans. Unfortunately, many of these immigrants are also fleeing the harsh conditions of Mexico. We are blessed with the greatest nation on earth, with rich opportunities.

My solution is two fold. Rather than be concerned with the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan, strategically place them along the border to halt illegals. I do not want any illegals harmed, but instead turned away. Secondly on the domestic front, we reduce the amount of free programs that we give to illegal immigrants, and reform our immigration process. I'd rather we let more people legally through, and be able to screen them, rather than having 8,000 unknowns crossing the border.

I see the concept too often used to excuse unnecessary wars. While I agree that if we have 100% certain information of an imminent attack on the United States we should respond with necessary force, there is the distinct possibility of war propaganda. There has not been any circumstances like that in the history of the United States.

If we are going to go to war, we need a declaration, or in our current circumstances we need to find Osama Bin Laden, eliminate him, and then leave! No more nation-building in the guise of attacking terrorism.  These endless wars are hurting our economy, and our reputation around the world.

Well ultimately we need real spending cuts, not reducing the amount of increase in spending. If we cut our spending to 1992 levels, we could eliminate the federal income tax. We need across the board spending cuts, and across the board tax cuts. This is not a difficult problem to solve, but no one wants to give on cutting spending. Democrats refuse to cut a penny of social program spending and Republicans refuse to cut a penny of military spending.

What we need to do is let states and charities handle social welfare, and the national government should defend the United States and protect our currency. We've seen too much nation-building, too many programs, too much inflation, and too much debt! States should compete with each other economically, instead of the Federal Government subsidizing companies that should be self-sufficient and wasting our tax dollars.

Obviously I respect all these men on stage, though I disagree with them on many issues. However, unlike the rest of these men I have executive experience, I was Governor of New Mexico for two terms, working with a democratic congress and still balanced the budget every year in office. My state was number one for job growth during that time. I know what it is like to work with a divided congress, and as an Independent I will have to work with both parties, leading to real reform.

Unlike the others I want a Constitutional America, one where we have the freedom to choose how we lead our personal lives, where we are not burdened by heavy taxes. I am the only candidate here that supports the 2nd Amendment, and the 4th Amendment. I am the candidate that gets the most money from the American troops, and the only candidate who thought to chose someone with military experience to lead this country with me.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1214 on: July 19, 2014, 08:49:39 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2014, 09:05:03 PM by badgate »

I began my life in Scranton, Pennsylvania. The first of four tight-knit children, we were a Catholic household through and through. We knew from our parents and our teaching that charity and service were of utmost importance. So thank you, tonight, for honoring me with the opportunity to serve our country as President of the United States.

In the challenges facing America, I am prepared to take on the tough road that lies ahead. I'm the candidate for president that you can trust. I've served in the Senate, passing a sweeping crime law to get criminals off the streets. I wrote and passed the Violence Against Women Act, and earned experience on the international stage when I secured the SALT treaty for arms control with Russia in 1980. In this campaign I have proposed raising the minimum wage in a responsible way that respects business and doesn't impose a big government mandate, while helping to bring millions of hardworking Americans out of poverty. I have promised the families of our brave servicemen and women to bring their loved ones home, to fix the mistakes made in Iraq. And I'm making a promise to you: your vote will not be wasted on me.

I have long said that this campaign is for the people. There is a moderate majority here in America, one that is too often too silent, and this year they need to speak up. To many times in the last four years has the everyman been left out of the conversation in Washington. Too often the fringes of the debate become the decision-makers and compromise becomes a toxic walk-of-the-plank. I have spent my entire career fighting for everyday people, making sure they have a seat at the table and a voice in the debate. It is what I'll do as President. I am calling on this country to shake itself off and step forward, together. God bless you, and this country, good night.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1215 on: July 19, 2014, 10:12:22 PM »

Thank you Jim, thank you Senator, Congressman, and Governor, and thank you for tuning in tonight. America is at a crossroads. We could take a new turn and go down a path of uncertainty, insecurity, instability, and darkness. This is the option presented by Senator Biden, Congressman Kucinich, and Governor Johnson. Or we can continue down the path we are
on - with an improving economy and a strong foreign policy, where America is safe and strong both at home and abroad, a path that was laid down by Thomas Jefferson, Abe Lincoln, Dwight Eisenhower, and Ronald Reagan. This is the path I will keep America on.

I spent seven years as the Mayor of America's largest city. During that time I took on organized crime and Wall Street banks. I turned a budget deficit into a surplus. I expanded Medicaid in the city to get more low income adults and children the healthcare they needed. I helped America and New York rebuild following the September 11th attacks - I have hands on experience with global terrorism and its impacts. I've spent the last 6 months as our nation's Vice President and it has been the greatest honor. In April I took a state visit to four European nations as well as China. On this trip I established ties with Prime Minister Blair, President Chirac, Chancellor Schroder, President Putin, and President Jintao. These are the leaders of some of the largest and most powerful nations in the world and the President needs to be able to work with them from Day One, especially with regards to our international coalition in Iraq and Afghanistan. I can do that.

Over the coarse of this campaign, I've traveled to every corner of this nation and I've proposed policies that are moderate and middle-of-the-road.We need to raise the minimum wage in a responsible manner. I'll do that as President. We need to reform our immigration system to make it easier and more efficient to became an American citizen, so that people won't come here illegally. I'll do that as President. We need to trim down the size of government and make it more efficient. I'll do that as President. We need to stay strong in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the War on Terror. I'll do that as President. We need to find and take down Osama bin Laden and dismantle the Al Qaeda terror network. I'll make it my number one concern as President.

Thank you, God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1216 on: July 19, 2014, 10:35:23 PM »

Gary Johnson Closing Statement:

I wish first to thank all of those that tuned in to watch tonight, as well as our Moderator, Congressman Kucinich, Vice-President Giuliani, and Senator Biden. We have all made our voices heard to you, the American voter. My message is and always has been a voice of the people, and a voice for the freedom this country has stood for.

The vice-president is correct we are at a crossroads, however the three of them offer similar roads. I however represent a true change in the politics of this great nation. This is why I am here, because we need a leader in the White House that represents the people and is beholden unto the people. Someone who does not owe political favors, someone who will have to work with congress in a nonpartisan way, and has the guts to stand up for the Constitution.

My path believes in true economic prosperity, a strong defense, and protection of our civil liberties. Many here believe that this is not possible, but I made it happen in New Mexico, and I can make it happen as President. With you the American people, we can change Washington D.C for the better! I stand for principled leadership, I stand for the Constitution, and I stand for the American people, and I want you to LIVE FREE! Thank you and God bless! 

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1217 on: July 19, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »

Lincoln Campaign Schedule

"America, it's time for a change. It's time to shun the divisive politics of the present and embark together here tonight on the New American Century. We can show this world the unity democracy can bring to its people. We can show the terrorists the unity democracy always brings to its people. We can show each other, maybe for the first time in too, too long, that we can love, and live, and work together across lines of color or faith or tongue! We'll see you in November!"

September 28, 2004 Montana & Iowa
SURROGATES: [MT: Brian Schweitzer] [IA: Tom Vilsack]
-Meet & Greet in Bozeman City MT
-Campaign Rally in Helena MT
-Barnstorm in Ames IA
-Town Hall in Des Moines IA

September 29, 2004 New Hampshire & Connecticut
-Meet & Greet in Concord NH
-Campaign Rally w/ Senator Joe Biden in Manchester NH
-Barnstorm + Campaign Rally in Hartford CT

September 30, 2004 Florida & Arkansas
-Campaign Rally in Tampa FL
-Campaign Rally w/ Senator Joe Biden in Miami Gardens FL
-Watching Presidential Debate with supporters in Little Rock AR

October 1, 2004 New York
Senator Chuck Schumer
-Barnstorm in Buffalo
-Meet & Greet in Rochester
-Town Hall in Albany
-Campaign Rally in Yonkers

October 2, 2004 Virginia
SURROGATE: Frmr. Gov Douglas Wilder & Gov Mark Warner
-Meet & Greet in Virginia Beach
-Town Hall in Norfolk
-Campaign Rally in Norfolk
-Town Hall in Virginia Beach
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1218 on: July 19, 2014, 11:09:29 PM »

I'd like to thank everybody who's tuned in tonight, as well as the moderator and the three gentlemen by my side for participating. This is the first debate since 1992 where we've had more than two voices pitching in on the issues facing this country, and I think we've had a much more productive and engaging talk tonight for that reason.

I didn't grow up with a lot. However, I did grow up with a caring family who taught me to appreciate what I had, even if it was little. I've brought those lessons from my childhood and have used them throughout my life, communicating with others and making a difference when possible. I've been around in politics for a few decades now, first serving in the Cleveland City Council, then moving up to mayor of Cleveland, then making a comeback years later as a state senator, and now currently serving as a congressmen. No matter how far up I've gone on the ladder, I've never forgotten about my roots, or who has helped me along the way.

I'm running to change the conversation. For too long, the Democrats and Republicans have been appeasing groups like Haliburton or Goldman Sachs more than they've given thought about their constituents at home. With wealth inequality rising, reckless imperialism overseas, unfair trade policies, and a whole host of other issues on the table, it's time to shake up our leadership in Washington. Bernie Sanders and I will truly be the people's voice in the White House, and I humbly ask for your vote in November. God bless you all, and God bless the United States of America.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1219 on: July 20, 2014, 06:28:51 AM »

Round XXIX: October 3rd-7th

Quite a historic debate between the four presidential candidates. Vice President Giuliani and Senator Biden tried to stick largely with debating each other, while drawing their contrasts. However, this proved to be a debate for the third party candidates. In their first real introduction to the American people both Governor Johnson and Congressman Kucinich proved they are forces to be reckon with in this election and will not be silenced.

Both men drew stark contrasts with the Democrat and Republican candidates, repeating a recurring theme that it is time for a change from the three party system. Joe Biden stressed his upbringing and drew on his increasingly populist campaign message, while Rudy Giuliani continued to beat the drum of experience and his credentials in keeping America safe. Polls conducted after the debate have show voters to be generally undecided, a slight edge to Giuliani, but not enough to seal the deal, while both Johnson and Kucinich benefited from the debate and will be sure to look forward to upcoming and final one on October 8th.

The most recent Gallup poll shows a statistical tie between Giuliani and Biden and both Johnson and Kucinich increasing their clout. This is the first poll to have both Giuliani and Biden below 40 percent.

Who Won the First Presidential Debate?
(R) Rudy Giuliani: 21%
(D) Joe Biden: 19%
(L) Gary Johnson: 15%
(G) Dennis Kucinich: 14%
Four-Way Tie: 17%
Undecided: 14%

Gallup Tracking Poll: (September 29, 2004)
(R) Rudy Giuliani: 37%
(D) Joe Biden: 37%
(L) Gary Johnson: 11%
(G) Dennis Kucinich: 9%

Upcoming on October 5th is the Vice Presidential Debate, between the Republican, Democrat, Libertarian and Green Party candidates.

Vice Presidential Debate, from Case Western Reserve University
Moderated by: Gwen Ifill

Good evening from Case Western Reserve University, here in Cleveland, Ohio. ation Center in I'm Gwen Ifill of PBS.

And I welcome you to the first and 2004 Vice Presidential debates between Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, the Republican nominee, Senator Blanche Lincoln, the Democratic nominee, Governor Jesse Ventura, the Libertarian Nominee and Congressman Bernie Sanders the Green Party Nominee.

These debates are sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates.

Tonight's will last 90 minutes, following detailed rules of engagement worked out by representatives of the candidates. I have agreed to enforce their rules on them.

The umbrella topic is foreign and domestic policy, but the specific subjects were chosen by me, the questions were composed by me, the candidates have not been told what they are, nor has anyone else.

For each question there can only be a two-minute response, a 90- second rebuttal and, at my discretion, a discussion extension of one minute.

A green light will come on when 30 seconds remain in any given answer, yellow at 15, red at five seconds, and then flashing red means time's up. There is also a backup buzzer system if needed.

Candidates may not direct a question to each other. There will be two-minute closing statements, but no opening statements.

There is an audience here in the hall, but they will remain absolutely silent for the next 90 minutes, except for now, when they join me in welcoming Senator Hutchison, Senator Lincoln, Governor Ventura and Congressman Kucinich.

To All The Candidates, Without mentioning them by name at all, explain to us why you are different from your opponent.

To All The Candidates, Massachusetts has taken a big step in legalizing gay marriage, what is your position on the matter and should the matter of unions be left to the state?

Congressman Sanders, You have identified yourself as a socialist, would you explain what you explain what that affiliation means to reassure some skeptical American electorate.

Governor Ventura, the Census Bureau ranked Cleveland as the biggest poor city in the country, 31 percent jobless rate. What can you tell the people of Cleveland, or people of cities like Cleveland, that your administration will do to better their lives?

Senator Lincoln, You and Senator Biden have been critical of the decision to go into Iraq, and argued that you wouldn't have made the decision to go in. Does that mean if Senator Biden were President and you Vice President, Saddam Hussien would still be in power?

Senator Hutchison, Former Vice President received some criticism for his handling the role of Vice President, how do you see yourself serving as Vice President with President Giuliani, assuming you two are elected in November?

All right ladies and gentlemen, that brings us to closing statements.

This Round will Close on Friday July 25th at 11:59 PM EST
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1220 on: July 20, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »

OOC: Can we get state polls for, AK OR NV AZ NM CO MN IA MO AR WI OH VA NC PA NY VT FL NH and ME?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1221 on: July 20, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »

It's good to be here in New Haven! New Haven is a pristine community and an undistilled essence of the natural beauty that is Vermont. That is why it's important that we enact more stringent environmental policies to preserve communities like these.

September 28th

- Rally and fundraiser in Rutland, VT
- Meet and Greet in Middletown Springs, VT
- Meet and Greet in Fairhaven, VT
- Barnstorming in Leicester, VT
- Meet and Greet in New Haven, VT

September 28th

- Meet and Greet in Jericho, VT
- Rally in North Hero, VT
- Rally in St. Albans, VT
- Meet and Greet in Enosburg, VT
- Rally in Jay, VT

September 30th

- Rally and fundraiser in Newport, VT
- Barnstorming in Sheffield, VT
- Barnstorming in St. Johnsbury, VT
- Meet and Greet in Maidstone, VT

October 1st

- Barnstorming in Deerfield, MA
- Meet and Greet in Wendell, MA
- Rally in Amherst, MA
- Barnstorming in Northampton, MA
- Meet and Greet in Southampton, MA

October 2nd

- Barnstorming in Pittsfield, MA
- Meet and Greet in Otis, MA
- Barnstorming in Westfield, MA
- Rally and Fundraiser in West Longmeadow, MA
- Meet and Greet in Holland, MA
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1222 on: July 20, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »

Rudy Giuliani Campaign Schedule for October 3rd-7th, 2004

Giuliani 2004 Campaign Staff
National Co-Chairmen: Presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush
Campaign Director: Mary Matalin
Chief of Staff: Tony Carbonetti
Chief Political Strategist: Karl Rove
Chief Spokeswoman: Katie Levinson
Chief Pollster:Mike DuHaime

October 3rd, 2004: Washington, D.C.
-- Vice Presidential duties
-- Fundraiser in Washington, D.C. with Pres. W. bush, Pres. H.W. Bush, and Pres. Ford
-- Drive to Virginia

October 4th, 2004: Virginia
-- Barnstorm in Norfolk, VA with Sen. Allen, Gov. Gilmore, and Sen. Warner
-- Tour Naval Station Norfolk
-- Barnstorm in Virginia Beach, VA with Sen. Allen, Gov. Gilmore, and Sen. Warner
-- Barnstorm in Suffolk, VA with Sen. Allen, Gov. Gilmore, and Sen. Warner
-- Visit Lone Star Lakes City Park
-- Fly to Ohio

October 5th, 2004: Ohio
-- Fundraiser in Cleveland, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen. Voinovich, and Sen. Dewine
-- Debate prep. in Cleveland, OH with Sen. Hutchison, Sen. McCain, and Sen. E. Dole
-- Attend Vice Presidential Debate

October 6th, 2004: Ohio
-- Barnstorm in Oxford, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen. Voinovich, and Sen. Dewine
-- Speech on foreign relations at Miami University
-- Barnstorm in Hamilton, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen. Voinovich, and Sen. Dewine
-- Barnstorm in Cincinnati, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen. Voinovich, and Sen. Dewine
-- Fly to Iowa

October 7th, 2004: Iowa
-- Barnstorm in Adel, IA with Gov. Branstad, Sen. Grassley, and Rep. King
-- Barnstorm in Clive, IA with Gov. Branstad, Sen. Grassley, and Rep. King
-- interview with Brian Williams for “ NBC Nightly News”
-- Barnstorm in Granger, IA with Gov. Branstad, Sen. Grassley, and Rep. King
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1223 on: July 20, 2014, 08:53:44 PM »

Hutchison Debate Responses

Vice President Giuliani and I have been running a substantive campaign, base on actual issues and ideas. We’re the only campaign that has proposed real solutions to the problems affecting regular, everyday Americans. We’ve presented a realistic and responsible minimum wage bill that will raise the minimum wage to one that presents both employers and employees the best deal possible. We’ve presented the only concrete and plausible plan for Iraq and
Afghanistan - finishing the job we started and establishing stable democracies in the Middle East while fighting off terrorists and dismantling both the Taliban and Al Qaeda. We have a thorough immigration reform policy that secures the border, provides special consideration to children that came here illegally, and makes the citizenship process simpler and more efficient. We’ve also proposed a policy to save the taxpayers money by making government leaner, smarter, and more effective. This is what sets the Giuliani/Hutchison ticket apart from the others.

It is my personal belief that marriage is the union of one man and one woman. That is my personal belief. Vice President Giuliani supports same sex relationships and the expansion of civil union rights. That is his personal belief. But we both agree that the issue should be left up to the states and the citizens there-in to decide about. Our constitution gives the ability to issue license to the states, exclusively, and that includes licenses for marriage. The federal government needs to step back and allow the states, the Governors, and the citizens to govern themselves - as our Founding Fathers intended.

The job of the Vice President is to assist the President in any way that he requires. I applaud Vice President Cheney for his service to the country and the active role that he played in President Bush’s administration. Vice President Giuliani has taken a different approach to the Vice Presidency - choosing to push the President’s agenda and policies from behind the scenes through meetings with Congressional Officials as well as making various overseas trips for the President. I see myself as more of a Giuliani-esque Vice President, should we win. I’ve been in the Senate since 1993 and I’ve built close bonds with both Democrats and Republicans over that time. I can use these connections to help President Giuliani work efficiently with the Congress in getting legislation passed. A good relationship between the White House and the Capital is crucial to having an effective government and I can bridge that gap, especially since President Giuliani has never served in the House or Senate.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1224 on: July 20, 2014, 09:18:13 PM »

Rudy Giuliani Campaign Schedule for October 3rd-7th, 2004

Giuliani 2004 Campaign Staff
National Co-Chairmen: Presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush
Campaign Director: Mary Matalin
Chief of Staff: Tony Carbonetti
Chief Political Strategist: Karl Rove
Chief Spokeswoman: Katie Levinson
Chief Pollster:Mike DuHaime

October 3rd, 2004: Montana
-- Barnstorm in Missoula, MT with Gov. Martz, Gov. Racicot, and Rep. Rehberg
-- Speech on energy policy at the University of Montana
-- Barnstorm in Lolo, MT with Gov. Martz, Gov. Racicot, and Rep. Rehberg
-- Barnstorm in Clinton, MT with Gov. Martz, Gov. Racicot, and Rep. Rehberg
-- Fly to Ohio

October 4th, 2004: Ohio
-- Barnstorm in Wyoming, OH with Gov. Taft, Rep. Boehner, and Rep. Chabot
-- Fundraiser in Cincinnati, OH with Gov. Taft, Rep. Boehner, and Rep. Chabot
-- Barnstorm in Cincinnati, OH with Gov. Taft, Rep. Boehner, and Rep. Chabot
-- One-on-One interview with Diane Sawyer for "World News Tonight"
-- Barnstorm in North College Hill, OH with Gov. Taft, Rep. Boehner, and Rep. Chabot

October 5th, 2004: Ohio
-- Debate prep. in Cleveland, OH with VP McCain, Sen. McCain, and Sen. E. Dole
-- Vice Presidential Debate
-- Fly to North Carolina

October 6th, 2004: North Carolina
-- Barnstorm in Kinston, NC with Sen. E. Dole, Sen. Helms, and Rep. Burr
-- Barnstorm in Grifton, NC with Sen. E. Dole, Sen. Helms, and Rep. Burr
-- Fundraiser in Grifton, NC with Sen. E. Dole, Sen. Helms, and Rep. Burr
-- Barnstorm in Pink Hill, NC with Sen. E. Dole, Sen. Helms, and Rep. Burr

October 7th, 2004: North Carolina
-- One-on-One interview with Matt Lauer
-- Barnstorm in Nashville, NC with Sen. E. Dole, Sen. Helms, and Rep. Burr