1976: Reagan vs Udall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:08:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: Reagan vs Udall
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976: Reagan vs Udall  (Read 1330 times)
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »

Lets say Ford decides to not run for reelection, so Reagan easilly wins the nomination. Meanwhile Carter decides that 76 isnt his time... So Udall takes the DNC torch. Who's the Veeps? Who's the winner? What's the map?
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix
E: 5.65, S: 1.45

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »

I think

Reagan wins, but its sort of close. 221 to 337. Reagans firebrand Conservatism will scare alot of voters in the northeast, but I think he could pull it out. Wana see what others say though.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »

I had once this dicussion but my maps were pretty confusing because I was thinking about Udall/Bentsen vs Reagan/Schweiker :/
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »

I think

Reagan wins, but its sort of close. 221 to 337. Reagans firebrand Conservatism will scare alot of voters in the northeast, but I think he could pull it out. Wana see what others say though.

Utah would definetly go for Udall. LDS voters!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »

Reagan was basically unelectable in 1976.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »

I think

Doubtful.  Udall was a lapsed Mormon and had criticized the church and the church leadership in the past.

The conservative Reagan would have trounced the liberal lapsed Mormon Udall in Utah.

Ironically, Utah would be one of Reagan's best states.

As to a running mate for Reagan, he may have stayed with PA Senator Schweiker to broaden his appeal with more moderate voters.

As for Udall Senator Lawton Chiles of Florida would be a good pick. 
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »

I think

Doubtful.  Udall was a lapsed Mormon and had criticized the church and the church leadership in the past.

The conservative Reagan would have trounced the liberal lapsed Mormon Udall in Utah.

As to a running mate for Reagan, he may have stayed with PA Senator Schweiker to broaden his appeal with more moderate voters.

I just believe that Schweiker in the game would change the way Northeast votes, however I still believe that Udall has a better chance on places like Utah then you seems to believe. He was never a proud Conservative but he was a Mormon after all! I would say that Udall would very possibly flip Nevada, Utah and Idaho to his side...

16 years before all that, in 1960, Kennedy got 45.17% of votes; in 1964 LBJ got 54.86%. I don't know if 76 Reagan would really fit LDS voters when you have a mormon running after all!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 11:59:00 PM »

Rep. Mo Udall (D-AZ)/ Gov. Jimmy Carter (D-GA) 276  49.6%

Fmr. Gov. Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/ Sen. Richard Schweiker (R-PA) 262 48.9%
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »

I think

I just believe that Schweiker in the game would change the way Northeast votes, however I still believe that Udall has a better chance on places like Utah then you seems to believe. He was never a proud Conservative but he was a Mormon after all! I would say that Udall would very possibly flip Nevada, Utah and Idaho to his side...

16 years before all that, in 1960, Kennedy got 45.17% of votes; in 1964 LBJ got 54.86%. I don't know if 76 Reagan would really fit LDS voters when you have a mormon running after all!

And I suppose a Catholic conservative would win Massachusetts in a close election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies