How many airports have you been to? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:37:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How many airports have you been to? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How many airports have you been to?  (Read 44265 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 24, 2014, 12:33:27 AM »

US mainland

Albuquerque
Atlanta
Austin
Baltimore
Boston
Charlotte
Charlottesville, VA
Chicago (O'Hare)
Cincinnati
Columbus
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Ithaca, NY
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Memphis
Miami
Milwaukee
Minneapolis
Nantucket, MA
Newark
New York (LaGuardia)
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Pullman, WA
Salt Lake City
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
Seattle
Syracuse
Washington (Dulles)
Washington (National)

Australia

Adelaide
Brisbane
Cairns
Canberra
Hobart
Melbourne
Perth
Sydney

Other

Auckland
Bangkok
Beijing
Kuala Lumpur
London (Heathrow)
Manchester
Marseille
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Shanghai
Tel Aviv
Toronto

I think that totals 54.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 02:36:07 AM »

Would also be curious to know what people's favorite airport is.  Minneapolis/St. Paul is actually probably the best one I've been to, at least of the American ones.  Gets high marks for the layout, and number of dining/entertainment options for an airport that size.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »

Yeah I have gotten around a bit...

But only on two continents.  I've also got Asia and Australia, so I'm two continents ahead of you!  Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »

Free WiFi is also nice, but its absence is not a deal killer.

Ah yes, that's another feature that has to be taken into account in evaluating airports.  As I recall, on my most recent trip to the US over the Christmas/New Year's holiday, I noticed an increasing number of American airports were offering free wifi.  Though I now find that I can't remember which airports they were.  One of them was definitely Phoenix, but I can't remember which of the others I went through has free wifi.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:38:17 PM »

I noticed an increasing number of American airports were offering free wifi. 

haha.  I never can remember these sorts of things either.  It seems like most of the big ones do.  Then again, most of the big ones also have bars, shops, TV screens blaring out Cooper Anderson 360, and all the carboard-flavored chicken mcnuggets you can swallow.  (Did you want Ranch Sauce, Bar-B-Q, or Sweet'n'Sour with that?)  The little ones on tropical islands have none of those things.  Airports seem like an all-or-nothing deal these days.  It'd be nice, if we were going to legitimize this thread, if airports really were that different from city to city.  Like, if you were in Arabia, there'd be dancing girls and magic carpet rides, and in Amsterdam there would be ganja, in Texas there'd be mechanical bulls and waitresses in Daisy Duke shorts, and in New Delhi there would be guys pulling rickshaws and serving tea to you while you ride those rickshaws from terminal to terminal.  As it is, however, the main difference in airports seems to hinge on size more than anything else….

True to a degree, but I think there are variations, even controlling for size.  Like I said upthread, Minneapolis/St. Paul has more amenities than you would expect, given its size.  Though part of it is also compactness.  If the terminals are all atomized into tiny pieces, and it's virtually impossible to move from one to the other, then your food/entertainment options can be rather limited, even if the airport as a whole contains enormous variety.

I would say that my worst experiences in terms of time wasted getting from Point A to Point B have been with Heathrow.  Oh, and of course Tel Aviv is a monster just because of all the security hoops you have to jump through.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »

I posted my answer in this thread last month, but I forgot about Jakarta.  So my revised list is below.  Interestingly, Jakarta is actually the last new airport I've been to.  I was there in June of last year.  Every airport I've been to since then is one that I'd already visited.

Updated list (now a total of 55 airports):

US mainland

Albuquerque
Atlanta
Austin
Baltimore
Boston
Charlotte
Charlottesville, VA
Chicago (O'Hare)
Cincinnati
Columbus