MW: Midwest LGBT Equality, Hate Crimes and Suicide Prevention Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 03:56:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MW: Midwest LGBT Equality, Hate Crimes and Suicide Prevention Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: MW: Midwest LGBT Equality, Hate Crimes and Suicide Prevention Act (Failed)  (Read 2296 times)
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
« edited: April 04, 2014, 12:23:25 PM by Arturo Belano »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Representative Adam C. FitzGerald
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »

Devin???
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »

I encourage the Midwest to defeat this. A while back, the Midwest did away with hate crimes, and I believe that is right. We should not punish crime based on motive. That said, I think the rest of the bill has promise, and I think we should go into more detail on some of the legalistics of it, but I think it's a worthy cause to help with suicide prevention.

Maybe I'm just intervening too much, but that's my view of this bill.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »

I encourage the Midwest to defeat this. A while back, the Midwest did away with hate crimes, and I believe that is right. We should not punish crime based on motive. That said, I think the rest of the bill has promise, and I think we should go into more detail on some of the legalistics of it, but I think it's a worthy cause to help with suicide prevention.

Could you be a little clearer please Maxwell? Firstly you seem to oppose this bill, and at the end you seem to support this bill.

I personally see nothing wrong with this bill.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 04:40:56 PM »

And once again, the Alping is here for debates, so you have clearly the right to participate to the debates Maxwell, other Atlasians as well.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:44:14 PM »

Could you be a little clearer please Maxwell? Firstly you seem to oppose this bill, and at the end you seem to support this bill.

Maybe I should've been clearer: If this bill still has the hate crimes section, then I hope for its defeat. However, the other parts of the bill, particularly suicide prevention, are areas where we could work together and do some good.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 04:45:13 PM »

Maybe I should've been clearer: If this bill still has the hate crimes section, then I hope for its defeat. However, the other parts of the bill, particularly suicide prevention, are areas where we could work together and do some good.
Thank you! I understand now Tongue.
What's your problem with the hate crimes section exactly?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »

Thank you! I understand now Tongue.
What's your problem with the hate crimes section exactly?

Two reasons:

1. We've already done away with hate crime legislation in the Midwest,
2. And I don't think punishing people for motivations behind their crimes is healthy. Hate to be corny, but isn't every violent crime one of hate? Their reasoning shouldn't matter.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 04:55:27 PM »

1) Which law exactly?
2) Hate crime legislation would have of course no interest if homophobia didn't exist. But homophobia exists and I believe that the law shall be made in relation with reality. Homophobia is still a problem, and this "hate crime legislation" towards a more "gay-friendly" society. I would oppose this passage if homophobia didn't exist, but that's not the case!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »

1) Which law exactly?
2) Hate crime legislation would have of course no interest if homophobia didn't exist. But homophobia exists and I believe that the law shall be made in relation with reality. Homophobia is still a problem, and this "hate crime legislation" towards a more "gay-friendly" society. I would oppose this passage if homophobia didn't exist, but that's not the case!

Hate crime laws do very little to reduce racism or homophobia. Those things will continue to exist with or without those laws.

Also I looked through the books, and I thought we had, but we hadn't. Shame, I might push one of my representatives to introduce something of the sort.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »

1) Which law exactly?

Hate crime laws do very little to reduce racism or homophobia. Those things will continue to exist with or without those laws.
Of course homophobia will still exist, but at least you could recognize that passing  Hate Crime Laws will reduce violent attacks towards gays?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »

1) Which law exactly?

Of course homophobia will still exist, but at least you could recognize that passing  Hate Crime Laws will reduce violent attacks towards gays?

By a negligible amount, and the cost is that it continues to twist and contort our legal system and punishes people for thought crime and I don't think that's right. I want society to be friendly to people of all kinds, but hate crime laws are the wrong way to do it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »

1) Which law exactly?

By a negligible amount, and the cost is that it continues to twist and contort our legal system and punishes people for thought crime and I don't think that's right. I want society to be friendly to people of all kinds, but hate crime laws are the wrong way to do it.

Our legal system won't implode because of that! Hates crimes law are necessary. The other aspect is of course symbolic. If you push for hate crimes laws about homosexuality, it just shows a desire made by the Midwest Government to fight against that. Symbols are a large part of politics too!

With or without this part, I will still sign this bill though.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 10:27:02 PM »

I propose an amendment to eliminate Subsections 1 and 2 of Section 2. A crime is a crime, and the status quo should be preserved in this instance. Hate crime laws criminalize thought, do they not?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »

I propose an amendment to eliminate Subsections 1 and 2 of Section 2. A crime is a crime, and the status quo should be preserved in this instance. Hate crime laws criminalize thought, do they not?

I support the Brewer's proposal.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »

1) Which law exactly?

That thought is reality though. Look at Cleveland's Jared Fox who was attacked by a group of men outside a known gay bar by them and ended up injured while they shouted homophobic slurs at him. Common sense suggests that wasn't done just because they wanted his money and wanted to beat some random guy up, but they saw an easy target in this gay guy and hated him enough because of his sexuality that they decided to do what they did.

The problem is, there are several other cases of this and usually these perpetrators don't think before they act and should be persecuted based not only on the crime of robbery and physical brutality itself, but the fact of understanding that these crimes may have never happened if the circumstances had been different with the group of men standing in front of a straight bar with a straight guy walking in. We need to make sure the LGBT community feels protected by our public officials and furthermore that they feel justice and equality is holding up in the courts.

As for Brewer's amendment, I'm against the revised version since it would cross out a key part to the bill.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 04:10:26 AM »

Brewer?
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 08:23:20 AM »

If you look at my amendment, you see why I oppose the bill. I have a fundamental opposition to hate crime laws, and that's really all there is to it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 08:28:14 AM »

If you look at my amendment, you see why I oppose the bill. I have a fundamental opposition to hate crime laws, and that's really all there is to it.
You seem to have misunderstood what I wanted to say. When will you propose your amendment?
I support hate crime laws, but in order to pass this bill, I'm willing to compromise. So I'm waiting for your amendment!
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 11:08:40 AM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »

I encourage you to do something like that when you want to propose an amendment. Thanks, it can be a bit confusing!

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »

This is progress, but again, I don't think Fred Phelps or the Westboro Baptist Church should be evicted, in spite of their terrible views. An amendment that gets rid of that last sentence would be great.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 02:40:18 PM »

This is progress, but again, I don't think Fred Phelps or the Westboro Baptist Church should be evicted, in spite of their terrible views. An amendment that gets rid of that last sentence would be great.
Could you explain your opposition to the last article?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »

Could you explain your opposition to the last article?

Sure.

I believe that Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist Church have every right to espouse their crazy beliefs, as it is their right to free speech. That right should not be infringed upon by the state. That last sentence would be unconstitutional, plain and simple.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies