Teton county Wyoming
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:25:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Teton county Wyoming
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Teton county Wyoming  (Read 4903 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2005, 10:34:41 PM »

Teton county was the only county won by Kerry in Wyoming.  It has been the most Democratic county in Wyoming for awhile now.  Went to Bush in 2000, but Nader picked up 7.3%.  I have read somewhere that Teton is also the wealthiest part of the state & has by far the highest home values.  Can anyone explain why a small mostly white county in a heavily Republican state is Democratic??
Kevinstat

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 11:31:14 PM »

Latte liberals from out of state. The resort town of Jackson is heavily Democratic because of them.

Is Jackson, Wyoming near the Jackson Hole, Wyoming where Croakie bands (for people with glasses, especially althletes) are made, or at least were in the mid- to late-90's?  I'm sure it must be a different town (or it could be a city), but given the fact that they share the first name perhaps Jackson Hole sprung up (no pun intended, to the extent that "no pun intended" is as true a statement as "no offense, but") from a watering hole near the town of Jackson.  The town of Jackson and the watering hole that became a town or city could certainly have both been named for President Jackson or someone(s) else by that name, in which case the towns wouldn't have to be anywhere near each other.

Based on what I just read in various editions of the Almanac of American Politics, I'm pretty sure that Jackson Hole is either a village or location in the official town of Jackson or another name for the town itself, or perhaps both.  Could someone from Wyoming or from nearby Jackson (which is quite close to the Idaho border) or who has visted that area recently or who otherwise knows tell me whether Jackson Hole is still in common usage (if it ever was) to describe the resort town or if people are using the town's name of Jackson instead?

Sincerely,

Kevin Lamoreau
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 12:10:38 AM »

Latte liberals from out of state. The resort town of Jackson is heavily Democratic because of them.

Yes. It is full of retirees from liberal areas.

Missoula is the only true liberal county in the interior Northwest, excluding Indian reservations.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 12:34:05 AM »

The ski resort towns and wealthy enclaves out in the West were where the Democrats made their greatest pickups county-wise this year in the Presidential election.

In fact, one of the main reasons why the Democrats pulled significantly closer this year in the Presidential race in Colorado is primarily because of this shift in the ski resort counties.   To a lesser extent, it was also the university towns in Colorado, but the bigger shift occurred in the ski resort counties there.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 01:46:27 AM »

Is Jackson, Wyoming near the Jackson Hole, Wyoming where Croakie bands (for people with glasses, especially althletes) are made, or at least were in the mid- to late-90's?

Sincerely,

Kevin Lamoreau

Jackson Hole is actually the valley where Jackson is located. People often call the town Jackson Hole, which is incorrect.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 12:16:11 PM »

Teton county is by far the fastest growing county in the state
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 12:56:03 PM »

Teton county is by far the fastest growing county in the state

Its trending liberal omg!
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 01:11:44 PM »

The ski resort towns and wealthy enclaves out in the West were where the Democrats made their greatest pickups county-wise this year in the Presidential election.

In fact, one of the main reasons why the Democrats pulled significantly closer this year in the Presidential race in Colorado is primarily because of this shift in the ski resort counties.   To a lesser extent, it was also the university towns in Colorado, but the bigger shift occurred in the ski resort counties there.
Pueblo County, once the strongest of Democratic strongholds in Colorado, is slowly drifting to the Right.  Bush actually picked up Huerfano County, just to the south of Pueblo, this time around.  The Republicans continue to gain ground with rural, suburban, or Hispanic voters.  The Democratic surges in the ski resorts really shocked me, but we're not talking about a big population here.  If the Dems want to trade 100 middle class voters for 1 ultra-rich Aspenite, that's fine with me.

Terry's philosophy, now confirmed by Howard's chairmanship, puts fundraising ahead of votes.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 09:55:40 PM »

Pueblo County, once the strongest of Democratic strongholds in Colorado, is slowly drifting to the Right.  Bush actually picked up Huerfano County, just to the south of Pueblo, this time around.  The Republicans continue to gain ground with rural, suburban, or Hispanic voters.  The Democratic surges in the ski resorts really shocked me, but we're not talking about a big population here.  If the Dems want to trade 100 middle class voters for 1 ultra-rich Aspenite, that's fine with me.

Terry's philosophy, now confirmed by Howard's chairmanship, puts fundraising ahead of votes.

Tgheir is no question Colorado is shifting left.  Only Vermont went more Democratic than Colorado did between 2000-2004.  8% Bush win to 4%, and it really shows when you compare it to the National average where Colorado was 8.5 points more Republican than the national average in 2000 and down to 1.5 points more Republican than the national average in 20004.  In 2008 in a 50/50 election (barring someone from Colorado on either ticket) CO is probably Dem
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 09:58:09 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2005, 10:02:22 PM by Alcon »

Blue Rectangle, you're missing the reason why places like Teton County flipped. It isn't the liberal elite - it's service industry employees. There are not nearly enough rich year-round residents to flip Teton County.

A look at the precinct results for Teton County tells you everything you need to - Kerry won 11 of the 16 precincts, while in 2000 Gore won only 1 of the 13 precincts (the precinct for the town of Wilson). Heck, Bush won the city of Jackson with over 55% of the vote in 2000. Kerry almost won it by that much this year.

It was a huge flip, and I can't totally explain why, but it wasn't because liberals have just suddenly moved in.

By the way, Colorado is going to be a weak lean Republican in 2008 in my eyes, Smash. The trends that happened between 2000 and 2004 are largely over. In a tie election, I say Republican by 0.5% or so.

Speaking of Colorado, a question for Blue Rectangle: one of the larger swings was in San Miguel County, Colorado (Telluride). Kerry won it with 72% of the vote this year, with Bush at 27%. In 2000, Gore won it with only 49% of the vote, with Bush at 32% and Nader at 17%. Even if every Nader voter voted Democrat this time around, that's still a rather impressive change. Any explanation?
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 10:11:16 PM »

Nader took 5.25% in CO in 2000.  Gore took 42.39%.  So the Left got 47.64% compared to Bush's 50.75% (3.11% difference).

In 2004, Nader's support went to Kerry.  Together, they got 47.62% (0.02% less than in 2000).  Bush's rose almost a full point to 51.69% (4.07% more than the Left).

Viewed this way, CO changed very little from 2000.  Considering Kerry's birth in CO and the massive Kerry effort here (compared with almost zero by Gore in 2000), these numbers aren't that hopeful for the Dems in 2008.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 02:37:33 AM »

Nader took 5.25% in CO in 2000.  Gore took 42.39%.  So the Left got 47.64% compared to Bush's 50.75% (3.11% difference).

In 2004, Nader's support went to Kerry.  Together, they got 47.62% (0.02% less than in 2000).  Bush's rose almost a full point to 51.69% (4.07% more than the Left).

Viewed this way, CO changed very little from 2000.  Considering Kerry's birth in CO and the massive Kerry effort here (compared with almost zero by Gore in 2000), these numbers aren't that hopeful for the Dems in 2008.

Well thats giving all of Nader's votes to Gore, it was more along the lines of 5-2.  If you take into consideration Nader in other states as well, the only state that moved more left than Colorado is still Vermont
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 11:11:51 AM »

Well thats giving all of Nader's votes to Gore, it was more along the lines of 5-2.  If you take into consideration Nader in other states as well, the only state that moved more left than Colorado is still Vermont
Bush's percentage went up nearly a point.  To win CO, a Democrats would have to take votes from the Right, not just consolidate the Left.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 04:27:19 PM »

Bush's percentage went up nearly a point.  To win CO, a Democrats would have to take votes from the Right, not just consolidate the Left.

Nader drew more from Gore, but he did draw from both sides of the aisle.  Bottom line is the state was only 1.5% more Republican than the national average after being 8.5% in the 2000 election, and if you take Nader into consideration (using that 5-2 factor) it still shows about a 4.5% Dem swing vs the national average from 5,5% more GOP to 1% more GOP than the national average.  In a 50/50 election in 08 Colorado is a definant swing state which would probably go slightly Dem
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 10:38:38 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 10:42:34 PM by Calthrina950 »

Nader took 5.25% in CO in 2000.  Gore took 42.39%.  So the Left got 47.64% compared to Bush's 50.75% (3.11% difference).

In 2004, Nader's support went to Kerry.  Together, they got 47.62% (0.02% less than in 2000).  Bush's rose almost a full point to 51.69% (4.07% more than the Left).

Viewed this way, CO changed very little from 2000.  Considering Kerry's birth in CO and the massive Kerry effort here (compared with almost zero by Gore in 2000), these numbers aren't that hopeful for the Dems in 2008.

Well thats giving all of Nader's votes to Gore, it was more along the lines of 5-2.  If you take into consideration Nader in other states as well, the only state that moved more left than Colorado is still Vermont
Bush's percentage went up nearly a point.  To win CO, a Democrats would have to take votes from the Right, not just consolidate the Left.

Nader drew more from Gore, but he did draw from both sides of the aisle.  Bottom line is the state was only 1.5% more Republican than the national average after being 8.5% in the 2000 election, and if you take Nader into consideration (using that 5-2 factor) it still shows about a 4.5% Dem swing vs the national average from 5,5% more GOP to 1% more GOP than the national average.  In a 50/50 election in 08 Colorado is a definant swing state which would probably go slightly Dem

Yes, this is an old, old thread, but I needed something to take my mind off what's going on now. It's amazing how prescient this prediction ended up being. And now, fifteen years later, Colorado looks like it is moving out of reach for Republicans for the foreseeable future.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 10:55:39 PM »

Nader took 5.25% in CO in 2000.  Gore took 42.39%.  So the Left got 47.64% compared to Bush's 50.75% (3.11% difference).

In 2004, Nader's support went to Kerry.  Together, they got 47.62% (0.02% less than in 2000).  Bush's rose almost a full point to 51.69% (4.07% more than the Left).

Viewed this way, CO changed very little from 2000.  Considering Kerry's birth in CO and the massive Kerry effort here (compared with almost zero by Gore in 2000), these numbers aren't that hopeful for the Dems in 2008.

Well thats giving all of Nader's votes to Gore, it was more along the lines of 5-2.  If you take into consideration Nader in other states as well, the only state that moved more left than Colorado is still Vermont
Bush's percentage went up nearly a point.  To win CO, a Democrats would have to take votes from the Right, not just consolidate the Left.

Nader drew more from Gore, but he did draw from both sides of the aisle.  Bottom line is the state was only 1.5% more Republican than the national average after being 8.5% in the 2000 election, and if you take Nader into consideration (using that 5-2 factor) it still shows about a 4.5% Dem swing vs the national average from 5,5% more GOP to 1% more GOP than the national average.  In a 50/50 election in 08 Colorado is a definant swing state which would probably go slightly Dem

Yes, this is an old, old thread, but I needed something to take my mind off what's going on now. It's amazing how prescient this prediction ended up being. And now, fifteen years later, Colorado looks like it is moving out of reach for Republicans for the foreseeable future.
Political trends are really something. Imagine telling an Atlas poster from 2005 that Missouri is Safe R, Georgia votes to the left of Ohio, and that Texas is a potential battleground state.
Although tbh, much of Colorado’s zoom to the left was because of Denver’s rapid growth. I live here and it’s noticeably different from back in 2008 (but I was little so I may not remember correctly)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 12:07:35 AM »

Political trends are really something. Imagine telling an Atlas poster from 2005 that Missouri is Safe R, Georgia votes to the left of Ohio, and that Texas is a potential battleground state.
Although tbh, much of Colorado’s zoom to the left was because of Denver’s rapid growth. I live here and it’s noticeably different from back in 2008 (but I was little so I may not remember correctly)

This is true. I was only ten then, though 2008 is the first presidential election that I can remember. Kerry actually only did slightly worse than Obama and Clinton in Denver County, which was already solidly Democratic in 2004. But of course, he lost Larimer, Jefferson, Arapahoe, and Broomfield-Bush was the last Republican to carry those counties-and only won Adams County by 3%. And where I live (El Paso County), Bush got 67% of the vote, which is unthinkable for Republicans now. He received the same share in Douglas and Mesa Counties, and got 63% in Weld County.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies