Favourite latest post by previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:16:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite latest post by previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 56
Author Topic: Favourite latest post by previous poster  (Read 93958 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: July 12, 2015, 05:04:39 AM »

The only way Greece pays off most of its debt is that we forgive a share of it. That's what I don't get. Either you get some of your money back, or you get absolutely nothing because Greece defaults. So if Germany really wanted its money back, they should do the sensible thing and negotiate a restructuring.

But that's not what they want. They want to make an example of Greece, in order to scare bigger countries like Spain and Italy into complying to their absurd, failed economic and monetary policies. They are literally trying to convince all Europeans that, as Ol' Maggie said, there is no alternative.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1076 on: July 12, 2015, 08:15:30 AM »

If Grayson is the nominee then the Democrats deserve to lose.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1077 on: July 12, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »

Visit the Parliament!

(and assassinate Aitor Esteban)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1078 on: July 12, 2015, 12:20:40 PM »

A little hard to choose from so many recent, well-thought out posts, but...

A true great, for more his promise than his achievements although many will overlook just how important his Presidency was.

His action against US steel, in Mississippi against racist mobs, against the mafia and his effort to scale back the CIA/Pentagon establishment that had grown in the 1950's meant that on domestic front he managed to achieve a great deal. His biggest problem was that congress was dominated by southern democrats who were far too rigid.

On foreign policy there's two rather ironic schools, the loudest is that he was some sort of reckless cold war warrior who was reckless. That's simply not true-his actions over Cuba were easily the best demonstration of US power for 30 years. The fact that he managed to use both soft and hard power so effectively to stop a global crisis should be praised.

Likewise his achievements in beginning Detente are clear-Khrushchev wept when he heard that JFK died, and Castro said 'they'd won' referring to the Pentagon/hard liners. The partial test ban treaty, ending the Loas civil war, the alliance for progress and his clear demand for 'an ethical' foreign policy in the 1960's show his impact on foreign policy. See his speech at the American University to see that he wasn't a cold war warrior, and apart from Reagan he was the only Cold War President who saw that you needed to work with the Russians. In 1963 he begun pushing for an opening with Cuba-the fact it took 50 years to sort it out shows how much leadership he showeed

Then his legacy/rhetoric-sadly this makes up a large part of JFK. He was the first irish catholic, him and his wife Jackie symbolized the new frontier in the 1960's and the team he established around himself was one of the smartest in the white house. He combined the best of American values in my view-the optimism and dedication to Public Service, the need for a strong moral America on the world stage and the importance of fighting poverty around the world. If we give Ike a higher score we're saying that the stale, old school teacher is better than the young, vibrant teacher that teaches us to be bold. We can't let Ike beat JFK

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1079 on: July 15, 2015, 01:34:59 AM »

My favorite is probably either Thai or Vietnamese.  Italian and Greek are very good too, and Korean was surprisingly good the couple times that I've had it.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1080 on: July 15, 2015, 02:41:55 AM »

If you keep having children when you can't afford the ones you already have, that's child abuse and your children should be taken away.

Some would say it's child abuse to break up families for having the temerity to be poor.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1081 on: July 15, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1082 on: July 15, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1083 on: July 15, 2015, 05:11:27 PM »

Very refreshing coming from a right-winger.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1084 on: July 15, 2015, 07:26:57 PM »

Carter was a good President and a better man. I wish the right would look at his attempts to balance the budget, and sustain an honorable foreign policy. Had he been elected in 1980 instead of '76, he'd be considered one of the greatest President's we've ever had.

-skip-
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1085 on: July 15, 2015, 08:43:24 PM »

I don't believe that Pakistan, Nepal, or Bangladesh should exist.

Why Nepal? Its culture and history have been clealry separate from those of Indian States AFAIK.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1086 on: July 16, 2015, 02:11:35 AM »

In context:

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1087 on: August 15, 2015, 01:37:39 PM »

Context:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1088 on: August 15, 2015, 03:55:48 PM »

If I had to pick three I'd say George McGovern, Tom Daschle, and maybe George Mickelson (a decent Republican Governor killed in a plane crash in 1993).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1089 on: August 17, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »

For that matter, I wonder if BRTD has ever read the Bible.
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1090 on: August 17, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »

IIT: The two biggest hacks on Atlas fighting, with King throwing good barbs here and there.
The Groom
Rookie

« Reply #1091 on: August 17, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »

He's definitely more eloquent than Rick Perry, so he has that going for him.  I would probably say no, but you never know.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1092 on: August 17, 2015, 11:00:01 AM »

I don't know, whose sock is he?
The Groom
Rookie

« Reply #1093 on: August 17, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »

I'm not a sock.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #1094 on: August 17, 2015, 03:20:52 PM »

I actually remember telling my grandmother to stop buying Oberweis dairy because how much of a loser Jim is.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1095 on: August 17, 2015, 03:37:26 PM »

I like your timeline/election game work:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=216568.msg4694035#msg4694035
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1096 on: August 17, 2015, 04:00:24 PM »

2008 Presidential/Congressional Comparison:

Dark red= Obama/DEM

Light red= Obama/GOP

Dark blue=McCain/GOP

Light blue=McCain/DEM

Map provided by Shilly.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1097 on: August 17, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »

I'm not Greek, but if I was, I'd certainly appreciate your lecturing me about my own country.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1098 on: August 17, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »

Bernie Sanders Is Not The 2008 Obama to Clinton's 2016

9:37 AM |  Jan 29, 2016 | By HARRY ENTEN

In 2008, the story goes that the Hillary Clinton was the inevitable nominee, squandered a large lead, and eventually lost the nomination to the more liberal and charismatic Barack Obama. This overblown and simplistic account is being used today in reference to the ‘surging’ Sanders campaign. Although Bernie Sanders has solidified the anti-Hillary crowd, it is impossible for him to use this type of base to propel him to victory.

In recent months, the Sanders campaign has staged a record number of campaign events in the early states of Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada. They hope that they will be able to successfully tap into the same network of appeal that let Barack Obama win Iowa (and later the nomination) in 2008. However, they are working on the false assumption that 2016 is like 2008.

Although Clinton’s national lead, as well as her leads in the early primary states, have narrowed to almost within the margin of error, there is much less cause for alarm than most media outlets are reporting. Even in 2008, the polls showed Obama leading Clinton by wide margins in states like New Hampshire, yet she carried the state somewhat comfortably. Sanders may appear to have what some misnomer as momentum, but whatever he has will all but vanish if he fails to even win his neighboring Granite State.

A few months ago, I had written that “The Bernie Sanders Surge Appears To Be Over,” and I completely stand by that. Since that article, the gains that Sanders has made nationally and in the early primary states have been expected, if not underwhelming for a challenger that gets as much media attention as Bernie Sanders. However, much like how these primary campaigns always turn out, his numbers will shrink as the defeats start piling on, and his support will shift back to the more electable Hillary Clinton.

Even if Sanders does win the relatively easy-pickins states of Iowa and New Hampshire (easy as they combine his two main bases of very white and very liberal), any momentum he gains will be quickly dashed before Super Tuesday by Clinton’s expected landslide in South Carolina. Shortly after that, Sanders will look less like Clinton’s 2008 Obama and more like Gore’s 2000 Bradley.

Harry Enten is a senior political writer and analyst for FiveThirtyEight.
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1099 on: August 18, 2015, 12:28:45 AM »

Hillary WAS GOP 50 years ago, a Goldwater Girl even.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies