A fair assumption (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:20:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  A fair assumption (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A fair assumption  (Read 3431 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: March 26, 2005, 06:31:41 PM »

Would it be fair to say...

Democrats do best in presidential elections in their home state.

Republicans do best in presidential elections in Utah

not in the case of Al Gore....
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 08:48:18 PM »

Gore had spent eight years as VP in which he didn’t make any noticable effort to retain his Tennesseeness.  I wouldn’t consider Tennessee his home state any more than I would consider New York to be Hillary’s home state.

Well, at least Gore had slept in something other than a hotel within the state before he ran for president.  But I see your point.  He really didn't even grow up there, but officially that was his home state (nobody is going to use DC).

My opinion is that the Lewinsky scandal, and Gore's over-the-top defense of Clinton with respect to that scandal, cost Gore the southern states like Tennessee and Arkansas that Clinton had won in 1996.  He lost his southern appeal by backing Clinton's adultery.  At least that's my theory on why those states flipped.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 08:54:34 AM »

Southerners commit adultery more often than thier Northern counterparts.

You may be right about that, but they still a lot less likely to vote for someone who does it, or supports it.  I believe that by 2000, enough southerners had not moved on from the Lewinsky thing to cost Gore the electoral votes of all the southern states that had voted for Clinton.  There was no other objective reason for those states to flip from 1996 to 2000.

And Clinton left the presidency with very low personal approval ratings.  That doesn't imply that people moved on; they simply compartmentalized to some degree personal conduct from performance in office.  Southerners were less likely to compartmentalize.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies