Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:39:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 559843 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« on: July 24, 2012, 02:21:25 AM »

Social Issues

Abortion: Absolutely pro-choice, not the governments job in this medical procedure.

Same-sex marriage: again, government has no role in defining marriage, gays should be married.

Drug legalization: In my world, all drugs would be legal. But to keep it sane, I would legalize marijuana, and treat other drugs as a public health issue, not as a criminal issue.

Prostitution: What kind of libertarian doesn't love PROSTITUTES? Am I right, or Am I right?

Guns: take your guns where you want to take your guns, what guns you like. Its important part of protecting our freedoms.

Education: Voucher programs have proven success, so i would support that, instead of throwing more money at the issue, as it has tended to be handled.

Immigration: I'm not against reform to make it slightly easier, but until some good reform comes, we have to enforce our border, and do that by taking our troops out of all the unnecessary wars that we are currently in.

Stem Cell Research: I don't know if the government should fund it, but i just know people should be allowed to at least research it.

School Prayer: In public schools, no. In private schools, yes. I think that is the way it is.

Pledge of Allegiance: I'm an atheist, but this isn't really an issue to me.

Economic Issues

Affirmative Action: Not the governments job.

Trade: absolutely.

Health Care: The government shouldn't be involved in this, basically because i fear the corruption of this area of importance. The individual mandate, a conservative idea adopted by a left of center president, is a poisonous, unconstitutional idea.

Welfare: I would support abolishing in my world, but again, if i were to live in this world, I would drug test those who want it.

Minimum Wage: I'd say abolish it, so that teens can really work, even if it means that they have to actually work in order to get promoted or a pay raise or ect.

Taxes: get rid of the lobbyists and the corporate intrest by flattening the tax code to 15% to 20% and getting rid of all the corporate subsidies. If you can't survive on your own as a company than you probably shouldn't artifically survive thanks to the government.

Spending Cuts: Cut ALL ACROSS THE BOARD. We're blowing money through a water hole. Cut defense, bring our troops home, while at the same time, cutting entitlement programs, and abolishing several departments of government.

Energy: I would support people in their quest for cleaner energy, or more efficent energy to replace what we have.

Social Security: privatize. boom.

Unions: Ensure that Unions cannot strike without the support of over 50% of all their members, introduce emergency anti-strike legislation if need be. Allow the firing of workers who go out on strike and don't return to work.

Foreign Policy/Defense

PATRIOT ACT: Unconstitutional, and blasphemous to our way of life. Repeal immiediately.

Afghanistan: Get out, immediately.

Iraq: see afghanistan.

Israel/Palestine: not our business

Iran: look at actions, not intentions. We needn't be the policemen of the world.

Syria: see everything else i've said.

Cuba: stop our trade enbargo on Cuba.

Military Spending: slash to 2003 levels.

Electoral Issues/Government

Voter Regulations/ID Cards: Just showing your ID to vote is fine with me. Otherwise, voter fraud is ridicolously low and not an issue.

Constitution: awesome.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2013, 11:33:52 AM by Maxwell »

Social Policy:

Overall: Liberaltarian

Abortion: Pro-Choice until viability.

Gay Marriage: I would want the Government out of the institution, since after that I think the Civil Rights Act would take hold, if not, then that's fine too. If its not out of the Government institution, however, I would make it legal.

Drug Legalization: I'd work on a compromise on that, legalizing marijuana and doing some helpful drug rehabilitation on users rather than jailing them. I'd prefer legalizing all, since its all about choice with me, but I'd be malleable on a proper solution to the failed drug wars.

Immigration: I used to be center right/right on immigration, but my views have kind of shifted. My view is that we do have laws we should abide by, but we should work towards reform of legal immigration so that we have a better immigration system. Also I would make it a tad easier to get a work visa.

Death Penalty: Again, this is an issue I used to be fairly right-wing, but I've shifted to a huge extent. I think the Death Penalty is absolutely wrong, on a fiscal and a social level. It costs more to give one the death penalty per person, and what if we got the wrong person? Life-sentences, with less chances of parole, would be the better option in my mind.

Patriot Act: I would want a 100% repeal of this violation of civil liberties.

Gun Control: My views in politics have become ever more malleable, and that also goes into the world of gun control. I would prefer there to be as little as possible, but I would like to add some hoops to jump through in order to get guns. This another issue where I was far right on that I've shifted a bit more to the center.

Assisted Suicide: In favor of, under the right circumstances.

Fiscal Policy:

Overall: Pragmatic Conservative

Right-To-Work: I am in favor of right to work.

Welfare: I am in favor of Clinton's welfare bill, and continuous bills that would make it so that welfare is the option that goes to those who deserve it and need it the most.

Privatization: I believe Privatization works in a lot of cases. At the same token, the banks should have regulation and should go to jail should they commit fraud, prisons, roads, and all other things that, in the common sense world, has no real incentive for the person doing the job, should be handled by the government. I'd even argue toward nationalization of the job that defense contractors, as the defense lobby has gotten out of hand in my view.

Taxation: I believe lower taxes not only helps the upper bracket, but it also helps people all around. At the same token, if cuts across the board still aren't nearly enough to fix the deficit problem, I think that we should raise taxes. I actually think we should go over the cliff, as we get both more spending cuts and more tax increases than we would in any other scenario. I like the flat tax, but in terms of negotiations, I would like a top rate 30% progressive tax system, with a much more simple tax code.

Education: School vouchers so that kids would have a better chance at a strong private school would be the best choice in my view. I have some issues with vouchers, such as religious schools, but my thinking on issues generally revolve around one's choice, so I think that parents should have that choice even if I may disagree with that choice of school.

Government Spending: We have to not only reduce spending in poverty program and drug war programs, but we also have to look deeply into the military budget and start to gut it back to pre-Iraq war levels (plus, of course, inflation). I would also look into waste of all of these programs where ever they are, either if there's a unnecessary middle man, ect. I would like to look most into spending cuts for deficit/debt reduction, but reality tells me that that won't be all of it.

Social Security: I would reform these by raising the retirement age. I would agree with Cathcon by locking it and saying Congress can never take from the trust fund ever again. I also had an idea of giving by all of the retirees money back with an apology saying we never were going to keep the governments promise, but again, I'd reform it with a lighter hand than that.

Foreign Policy:

Overall: Non-interventionist

Israel: We should not do everything Israel says. We should not bow to Israel and act as if we serve them. We should look fairly at what we agree and disagree with them with and treat them as allies, not as lovers. I believe that will strengthen, not weaken, our foreign relationship with them.

Iran: We are doing something that is comparable to the Treaty of Versailles. When after World War I the world decided to intensely punish Germany and put stiff rules on Germany, they burst the way they did. The same could happen to Iran, and we need to be a lot more careful than we are being.

Afghanistan: We should've been out years ago.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:51:45 PM »

1. The right to individual autonomy is important, even if it threatens collective security. (Agree)*
2. The government should penalize organizations that practice outsourcing. (Disagree)
3. Giving faith-based charities the same government resources as secular organizations is a good idea. (Usually agree)
4. We should increase foreign aid to countries struggling with poverty. (Usually Disagree)
5. We should increase funding for education. (Usually Disagree)

6. Heterosexual couples should receive higher marital recognition than same-sex couples. (Disagree)*
7. Overall, free trade hurts more than it helps. (Disagree)*
8. We should reduce the number of government programs substantially. (Usually agree)
9. Abortion should be illegal or very heavily restricted. (Disagree)*
10. The government should fund museums, theaters, and other cultural institutions that are unable to survive independently. (Usually Disagree)

11. The government should subsidize health insurance for those who cannot easily afford it. (Disagree)
12. The government should work to reduce children's exposure to offensive radio and television content. (Disagree)
13. It is unfair that wealthier people pay higher tax rates. (Neutral)
14. The minimum wage should be raised. (Neutral)
15. Marijuana should be legalized. (Agree)

16. Society focuses too much on forcing equality at the expense of real merit. (Agree)
17. Violating individual rights is acceptable when it comes to fighting terrorism. (Disagree)*
18. Current levels of government regulation on industry are excessive. (Usually disagree)
19. The government should provide basic needs for all people. (Disagree)
20. The death penalty should be an option for serious crimes. (Disagree)
21. We should reduce the difficulty of immigration. (Usually agree)

22. Union workers should be protected against being fired during strikes. (Usually disagree)
23. Prostitution should be legalized. (Agree)
24. Flag burning should be banned. (Disagree)
25. I support affirmative action. (Disagree)
26. The government should impose tariffs to protect industries from foreign competition. (Disagree)*
27. Physician-assisted suicide should be legal if the patient is capable of informed, rational consent. (Usually agree)

Result:

E: +5.29
S: -7.13
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2013, 03:26:05 PM by Governor Maxwell »

Social Policy

Abortion (Center-Left):  Pro-choice up to the point of viability. It's the womans body, but after a certain point, the baby would possibly have the ability to survive, and that's generally at about 26 weeks. That's where I think the line should be drawn.

SSM and other LGBT rights (Left): Absolutely support. There are two ways of doing this in my view: one way is to get Government out of marriage. Getting rid of all the benefits the Government gives to married couples, and allow non-discrimination legislation to adapt. Another way is the way that is going on right now: fighting state by state to legalize gay marriage. Two people who love each other should have no barriers to be happy with one another.

Marijuana (Left): Legalize. I do agree, that we should do this by going state by state with attempts to legalize, but I think it's time we realized that the War on Drugs is a colossal failure. Tax it heavily, regulate it like cigarettes, advertise against its use. We need to more effectively use our resources.

Drinking Age (Left): It should be lowered to 18. We can send our men and women to war, and vote, but god forgiveth, we can't drink until we are 21. If we are legally decided to be an adult at 18, than we should be given all the benefits and what not of being an adult.

Oh, and I'm against the Death Penalty.

Physician-assisted suicide (Center/Center-Right): I'm not quite sure, to be honest. I think one should be in charge of their own death, but at the same time, it also depends on the circumstance. Maybe they are in so much pain at one point and they say they want to be dead, but they are not truly meaning of it if they survive. I think in the right context and under the right scope, Physician-assisted Suicide could work, but I think there would be a lot of consent to go by. (this might be my only moralist position)

Guns (Center/Center-Right): I think background checks is fine and is not gun control, so I supported Toomey-Manchin, although there were some major loopholes in the bill. However, I am not so supportive of a Assault Weapons ban, which would have little to no effect on gun violence. If we wanted to change the effect of gun violence, we need to look at our other laws and get power out of the black market (i.e. see Drug Wars)

Immigration (Center-Left): We need a more balanced workforce. What do I mean by that, well I mean that our workforce in the US is balanced on average skilled workers, with only small bits of American workers either highly skilled or low skilled. Compare that to an immigrant workforce, who have a lot of low skilled and high skilled workers, but not very many average workers. We need to increase immigration into this country. I believe it is time we reformed our immigration system to make it easier for people to come in, but we also need to be mindful and not treat people who came in here illegally any better than we treat people who follow the process. I do like the immigration plan in Congress, but I also want to do wonders on the work visa program.

Ultimately, though, if they are paying taxes in this country and are working, I have no problem with immigrants, illegal or not illegal, being in our country.

Affirmative Action (Right): Against.

Economic Policy

Income Tax (Center Right): We should have an income tax system. However, we should scale back rates once the economy gets back on track. However, in order to do that in a balanced fashion when it comes to revenue, we need to cut all of the special interest loopholes and ways that the corporate system gets to avoid taxation.

Deficit (Right): The deficit needs to be lowered through cuts and increases to revenue, otherwise known as austerity. However, we also need to increase spending in smaller places: infrastructure for example, in order to push jobs back into the economy. I am against massive wasteful spending, but not all spending is the same: We have a massively bloated military budget and we have no wars we are fighting with it, and I support big cuts to it. I also support looking under every rock and cutting waste.

Social Security (Right): I am for raising the retirement age, as Americans are living longer, and doing more with their lives. The retirement age has been the same since FDR, back when the age of death was LOWER than the retirement age he set for Social Security. It is only fair that we raise it now to compensate for increasing costs of the program. Simply put, we need to lock the lockbox. No more to Washington Republicans and Democrats robbing the trust fund as they did to fund their mistakes. In the long term, I do support a shift towards either privatization, or the Government handing back what people have put in and abolishing the program all together.

Free Trade (Right):  Pro-Free Trade.

Education (Center):  It should be in the hands of the states. We need to shift out of the dreadful policies of No Child Left Behind. Not all education spending is good spending, as we spend more it seems that those dollars go to waste when our scores are sh**t. We need to put more money behind primary education, giving a good foundation for later years.

Infrastructure spending (Center-Left): Support increasing. Our roads are in dire danger, and we need to do more to make our roads safer and better. One solution I like is making the toll roads private while keeping regular roads public. There are innovative solutions out there, and I believe that it isn't completely a lost cause.

Environment (Center Right): We should be mindful of our effect, but we should also not over-estimate our effect. There is something of an arrogance of our existence on this earth that we are the main culprits destroying the earth. Earth has long term shifts, some of them radical (see: the Ice Age), so I am still very skeptical. Ultimately, I wouldn't put environmental interests ahead of economic interests. However, I do support preserving lands for future generations via National Parks.

Foreign Policy

Embargo on Cuba: Totally against it. Cuba is no longer a threat. The more people we are trading with and working with across the world, the better. We need to lower barriers, not put up. No more Embargo on Cuba!

Military involvement overseas (Left): My basic foreign policy idea is simple: It is much like Milton Friedman described Government policy in the economy. Foreign Policy is too powerful: any movement we make ultimately comes back to bite us in the future. See all these leaders we put into power and than overthrew. I think it's time we stopped being so involved in world affairs. Let's be more mindful of our place in the world and stop being the world police. So my foreign policy is a minimalist foreign policy.

Humanitarian causes (Right): We should be more cautious about humanitarian aide. In any place where we could be thinking to fund poor kids in Africa, it turns out to be a dictator who takes those funds and slaughters thousands of his people. We need to be more cautious all around with foreign policy, but I think Humanitarian aide is a perfect example of why we need a more minimalist foreign policy.

Support for Democracy (Left): The United States isn't a Democracy. It is a constant fight between Republic and Democracy. Why should we impose something that we aren't even 100% behind?  Again, let's leave people alone, we don't know the backlash we may face because of these policies. Iraq is still a disaster to this day, because we invaded a country and then tried to "fix" our mess under the guise of Democracy.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:01:15 PM »

Social Policy

Abortion:  Pro-choice up to the point of viability. It's the womans body, but after a certain point, the baby would possibly have the ability to survive, and that's generally at about 26 weeks. That's where I think the line should be drawn.

SSM and other LGBT rights: Absolutely support. There are two ways of doing this in my view: one way is to get Government out of marriage. Getting rid of all the benefits the Government gives to married couples, and allow non-discrimination legislation to adapt. Another way is the way that is going on right now: fighting state by state to legalize gay marriage. Two people who love each other should have no barriers to be happy with one another.

Marijuana: Legalize. I do agree, that we should do this by going state by state with attempts to legalize, but I think it's time we realized that the War on Drugs is a colossal failure. Tax it heavily, regulate it like cigarettes, advertise against its use. We need to more effectively use our resources.

Drinking Age: It should be lowered to 18. We can send our men and women to war, and vote, but god forgiveth, we can't drink until we are 21. If we are legally decided to be an adult at 18, than we should be given all the benefits and what not of being an adult.

Oh, and I'm against the Death Penalty.

Physician-assisted suicide: I'm not quite sure, to be honest. I think one should be in charge of their own death, but at the same time, it also depends on the circumstance. Maybe they are in so much pain at one point and they say they want to be dead, but they are not truly meaning of it if they survive. I think in the right context and under the right scope, Physician-assisted Suicide could work, but I think there would be a lot of consent to go by. (this might be my only moralist position)

Guns: I think background checks is fine and is not gun control, so I supported Toomey-Manchin, although there were some major loopholes in the bill. However, I am not so supportive of a Assault Weapons ban, which would have little to no effect on gun violence. If we wanted to change the effect of gun violence, we need to look at our other laws and get power out of the black market (i.e. see Drug Wars)

Immigration: We need a more balanced workforce. What do I mean by that, well I mean that our workforce in the US is balanced on average skilled workers, with only small bits of American workers either highly skilled or low skilled. Compare that to an immigrant workforce, who have a lot of low skilled and high skilled workers, but not very many average workers. We need to increase immigration into this country. I believe it is time we reformed our immigration system to make it easier for people to come in, but we also need to be mindful and not treat people who came in here illegally any better than we treat people who follow the process. I do like the immigration plan in Congress, but I also want to do wonders on the work visa program.

Ultimately, though, if they are paying taxes in this country and are working, I have no problem with immigrants, illegal or not illegal, being in our country.

Affirmative Action: Against.

Economic Policy

Income Tax: We should have an income tax system. However, we should scale back rates once the economy gets back on track. However, in order to do that in a balanced fashion when it comes to revenue, we need to cut all of the special interest loopholes and ways that the corporate system gets to avoid taxation.

Deficit: The deficit needs to be lowered through cuts and increases to revenue, otherwise known as austerity. However, we also need to increase spending in smaller places: infrastructure for example, in order to push jobs back into the economy. I am against massive wasteful spending, but not all spending is the same: We have a massively bloated military budget and we have no wars we are fighting with it, and I support big cuts to it. I also support looking under every rock and cutting waste.

Social Security: I am for raising the retirement age, as Americans are living longer, and doing more with their lives. The retirement age has been the same since FDR, back when the age of death was LOWER than the retirement age he set for Social Security. It is only fair that we raise it now to compensate for increasing costs of the program. Simply put, we need to lock the lockbox. No more to Washington Republicans and Democrats robbing the trust fund as they did to fund their mistakes. In the long term, I do support a shift towards either privatization, or the Government handing back what people have put in and abolishing the program all together.

Free Trade:  Pro-Free Trade.

Education:  It should be in the hands of the states. We need to shift out of the dreadful policies of No Child Left Behind. Not all education spending is good spending, as we spend more it seems that those dollars go to waste when our scores are sh**t. We need to put more money behind primary education, giving a good foundation for later years.

Infrastructure spending: Support increasing. Our roads are in dire danger, and we need to do more to make our roads safer and better. One solution I like is making the toll roads private while keeping regular roads public. There are innovative solutions out there, and I believe that it isn't completely a lost cause.

Environment: We should be mindful of our effect, but we should also not over-estimate our effect. There is something of an arrogance of our existence on this earth that we are the main culprits destroying the earth. Earth has long term shifts, some of them radical (see: the Ice Age), so I am still very skeptical. Ultimately, I wouldn't put environmental interests ahead of economic interests. However, I do support preserving lands for future generations via National Parks.

Foreign Policy

Embargo on Cuba: Totally against it. Cuba is no longer a threat. The more people we are trading with and working with across the world, the better. We need to lower barriers, not put up. No more Embargo on Cuba!

Military involvement overseas: My basic foreign policy idea is simple: It is much like Milton Friedman described Government policy in the economy. Foreign Policy is too powerful: any movement we make ultimately comes back to bite us in the future. See all these leaders we put into power and than overthrew. I think it's time we stopped being so involved in world affairs. Let's be more mindful of our place in the world and stop being the world police. So my foreign policy is a minimalist foreign policy.

Humanitarian causes: We should be more cautious about humanitarian aide. In any place where we could be thinking to fund poor kids in Africa, it turns out to be a dictator who takes those funds and slaughters thousands of his people. We need to be more cautious all around with foreign policy, but I think Humanitarian aide is a perfect example of why we need a more minimalist foreign policy.

Support for Democracy: The United States isn't a Democracy. It is a constant fight between Republic and Democracy. Why should we impose something that we aren't even 100% behind?  Again, let's leave people alone, we don't know the backlash we may face because of these policies. Iraq is still a disaster to this day, because we invaded a country and then tried to "fix" our mess under the guise of Democracy.

You are a kind of rockefeller isolationnist. Really on the left socially, on the right economically (but not so far). You could be Olympia Snowe but she's pro interventionnist, so I would say Lincoln Chafee when he was independant!

Isolationism is the wrong term. I support free trade and I support an aggressive policy on getting all countries who are interested in wanting to be our trade partner to do so. I think the correct term is Non-Interventionism.

Also, while I am generally center right on economic issues, I do have some where I fit into the fairly right wing mold (unions, social security/medicare, healthcare).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »

Drugs: All should be illegal, including tobacco and alcohol. Caffeine should be legal but strongly regulated.
Gun control: As an NRA member and firearms enthusiast, keep your hands off my guns government!

This makes absolutely no sense.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »

I'm a general progressive on most issues. End the war on drugs, down with Reaganomics, restore the New Deal, death to neoliberals, nationwide legal gay marriage, stringently pro-choice, peace and love, yada yada yada.

I suppose the big difference between me and well, every other progressive on earth, is that I support a more authoritarian government - a dictatorship if need be - to enact these policies. This is because, democracy, while a good idea in theory, is far too easy to be corrupted for the interests of the power-hungry elite. The corporate media manipulates the people into voting against their own interests distressingly often. In an authoritarian government, however, the manipulation of the people would have little to no effect, because the people would not control the government to begin with.

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

So, there's that. I dunno what you call my ideology. Authoritarian paternalist progressivism?

Dear god.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 02:52:34 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2014, 02:05:39 PM by Maxy »

Economic Issues -
Taxation: We have to keep the revenue levels we have at the moment, so I support lowering our rates but closing tax loopholes and eliminating deductions to create a revenue neutral system. Top rate hopefully around 25% or 28%.
Minimum Wage: Abolish the national minimum wage.
Healthcare: Repeal Obamacare, replace with a healthcare system with some key changes like health savings accounts, lawsuit reform, and prize funding for research.
Social Security: I support privatizing the system, as long as it means reducing the burden of the system. Raising the retirement age is something I'm for, but I'm not for reducing benefits in sneaky ways like lowering the inflation rate (especially to one that is lower than the current one we have).
Free Trade: Free Trade is the ultimate equalizer. It funds small foreign countries latter Labor revolutions, while keeping prices lower in our country. Fair trade hurts the people it intends to help, while sticking us with the bill.
Unions/Right-to-work: I support right-to-work laws, I don't think I can be any clearer than that.

Foreign Policy
Intervention: We should only intervene when there's a direct threat to our ability to be free. But at the same time, I don't agree with putting unnecessary constraints on our troops ability to fight. Doing so means that our enemies have the advantage, considering there is the possibility that some enemies won't be following those same rules.
Afghanistan: The war should've ended a long time ago, starting with pulling troops out right at the death of Osama Bin Laden. We've tampered with the Middle east for far too long.
Iran: The Middle East is the fundamental example of US interventionism gone wrong. We can't predict what people will do here, and as a result, we shouldn't put American people in harms way. Whether Iran gets nukes or not, it's not our business.
Cuba: The embargo to Cuba is an old relic used by people to start red fearing again. Enough with it. End the embargo, and continue to end trade barriers across the world.
Guantanamo: The United States I want to live in should not torture, and should not harbor people in secret prisons where we don't know what happens to them. We must end Guantanamo Bay or, like internment of the Japanese, it will be a deadly stain in our history.
PATRIOT Act: Repeal this and other bills that intend to violate Americans right to privacy.

Other/Miscellaneous
Term Limits: Supportive in the abstract, but in reality, I'm not sure how much it would really achieve. I would support five terms in the House and three terms in the Senate, enough to gain some seniority without overstaying your welcome.
Campaign Finance: The solution to Campaign Finance is disclosure, disclosure, disclosure. What the Democrats did to Koch is what I want to see everybody doing, pointing out who is beholden to whom. Therefore, SuperPACs must go. However, although the effect of money in politics is toxic, I believe that we must continue to allow free people to decide how to help their own candidates.
Electoral College: The Electoral College has gone against the grain only a few times, I don't think it really matters.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 10:56:30 PM »

Ideology
Social: Strongly liberal
Economic: Left-leaning, with some skepticism for certain programs and their effectiveness
Foreign: Moderate dove
Political Registration: Democrat

Social Policy
Abortion: Pro-Choice.
Same Sex Marriage: Support. Old Issue. It's a civil right.
Drugs / Narcotics: Legalization of marijuana and legalization of harder core drug with stiff regulations and taxation, as well as complete release of those in prison only for drug useage, and a better rehabilitation system for those addicted.
Death Penalty: Absolutely, morally opposed. No one is deserving of death. I don't believe anything good comes out of vengeance.
Gun Control: Universal background checks, and licensing and registration for all guns. If it takes this long drawn out process to be able to use a car, the same should be true for guns. Limitation of magazines is also something I'm supportive of. Beyond that I am skeptic of certain gun control measures like the assault weapon ban.
Affirmative Action: We should re-instate for socioeconomic class, not on race.
Prostitution: Supportive of legalization, but crack down on human trafficking.
Right to Die: The right to die is one's own choice, and I support the ability to make that decision.
PATRIOT Act/NSA Spying: I oppose, but I do believe we need a system to keep tabs on terror. The way the NSA has been doing things is wrong, and we need to put safeguards in place so that it is only terror suspects whose records are kept track of, not American citizens.
Immigration: Legalize immigrants here, raise wage rates H1B Visas, and crack down on businesses who employee illegal immigrants. I believe these three will make our immigration system better. And added with that, increase the amount of legal immigrants that can immigrate, so to solve our massive aging problem by putting more workers into the system.

Economic Policy
Minimum Wage: We should hike the minimum wage, though I think we should do so on a step by step basis. A $15 hike in one instance I think will make those who already have $15 an hour jobs be completely devalued. I think we should have a $15/Hr minimum wage by 2025 through a gradual increase.
Welfare: Welfare is fine at the moment, I suppose. We could do a better job at helping people at the bottom, maybe better job training, I just don't know.
Social Security: I'm not against raising the retirement age. Not because I want to shaft seniors, but because I don't think Social Security was designed to handle so many seniors. Probably to 68 or 69. I think that's a better way to save the program than to keep playing with the Chained CPI.
Right-to-Work: Lean against. I'd have to think about this one more now.
Taxation: Cut corporate taxes, not because I love corporations but because it's not particularly effective. Raise regular tax rates with a top rate of 50%. Create tax credits to incentivize hiring people in America. Cutting taxes goes directly into the pocket of those whose taxes you cut, which is why I don't think supply side has been especially effective in its stated goal. I think, in order for wealth to trickle down, you have to incentivize the trickling down itself.
Obamacare: It's a good system that tries to do what Single Payer does through private healthcare, and I want to wait and see how effectively it reduces cost, but my end goal would be a Single Payer system. At the same time, we need to keep going our incredibly innovative medical technology industry, which requires a certain level of competition. Maybe that's how Obamacare fits together.
Trade: I support free trade. Protectionism worked very well for our country a long time ago, but I'm not sure that, at our size, we could implement it and make it work. At the same time, though, we need to make sure we are developing our economic interests instead of cutting ourselves at the expense of #freetrade.
Climate Change: We move in the right direction on Climate Change through the tax code. Punish carbon polluters and reward those who make realistic goals and achieve them. I'm absolutely pro-nuclear, and hope we can expand that at the expense of coal.
Alternative Energy Subsidies: We have to be pretty well-researched on their impact on the environment in other potentially deadly ways, but otherwise supportive.
Keystone XL Pipeline: There is no issue I care less about. Nowadays I wouldn't support it because the economic benefit is little. Obama's tactical move on this was pretty perfect.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies