Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:06:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 557992 times)
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« on: April 27, 2014, 01:07:09 AM »

I'm a general progressive on most issues. End the war on drugs, down with Reaganomics, restore the New Deal, death to neoliberals, nationwide legal gay marriage, stringently pro-choice, peace and love, yada yada yada.

I suppose the big difference between me and well, every other progressive on earth, is that I support a more authoritarian government - a dictatorship if need be - to enact these policies. This is because, democracy, while a good idea in theory, is far too easy to be corrupted for the interests of the power-hungry elite. The corporate media manipulates the people into voting against their own interests distressingly often. In an authoritarian government, however, the manipulation of the people would have little to no effect, because the people would not control the government to begin with.

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

So, there's that. I dunno what you call my ideology. Authoritarian paternalist progressivism?
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »

You had to quote the entire post to point that out?
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2014, 02:51:07 PM by phwezer »

Social Issues
Gay Marriage: Legalize it. What's your problem?
Drug War: Legalize pot, keep the harder stuff (cocaine, heroin, etc.) illegal, but focus on rehabilitation not punishment. End the Drug War. Actually educate kids on drugs as opposed to the horrible D.A.R.E. "DRUGS ARE BASICALLY HITLER AND SATAN DON'T DO THEM EVER YOU DIE HORRIBLY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!1111!!1"
Abortion: Strongly pro-choice and supportive of defending Roe v. Wade. Repeal all transvaginal ultrasound laws. Legalize abortion up to the third trimester. Keep partial-birth abortion legal.
Prostitution: Legalize and regulate it, much like the Netherlands or Germany.
Stem-Cell Research: Meh. As long as it's not hurting people I don't have much of a problem.
Education: Repeal NCLB and end similar initiatives. Institute a national federalized curriculum. Provide secondary education for all free of charge.
Capital punishment: Switch to inert gas asphyxiation in all cases.

Economic Issues
Taxation: Set up a progressive tax system with large tax increases on the rich.
Minimum Wage: Institute a guaranteed minimum income for all.
Healthcare: Switch to a nationalized healthcare system.
Social Security: No privatization!
Free Trade: You mean destroying American labor?
Unions/Right-to-work: Repeal all right-to-work laws and defend unions at all costs.

Foreign Policy
Intervention: Only intervene to support a genuine, home-grown revolution or to prevent human rights abuses. I support interventions along the lines of Libya in 2011. Otherwise, only use military force when we are attacked.
Afghanistan: End the war and withdraw all troops by this year's end.
Iraq: Travesty.
Iran: End sanctions and normalize relations. The Iranians aren't trying to build nukes, so allow them to use nuclear power.
Cuba: End the embargo.
Guantanamo: SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING
PATRIOT Act: Repeal, repeal, repeal.

Other/Miscellaneous
Term Limits: It's called "voting out incumbents".
Campaign Finance: Ban all donations by large corporations. Money is not speech. Switch to full federal funding for all campaigns.
Electoral College: Abolish and switch to popular vote.
FPTP: Switch to MMP or IRV.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies