Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:25:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 558104 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« on: May 31, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »

Social issues

Abortion: I support limiting the rights of a woman to have an abortion to 1-2 abortions per year, with a maximum of seven per decade.

Gay Rights: Strongly oppose the proposed Federal Marriage Amendment and favor overturning the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) as a violation of personal liberty on the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution. Believes in advancing marriage rights to LGBT couples. Opposes "sodomy laws". Oppose states declaring marriage to be between one man and one woman as a violation of the 14th Amendment.

Religion: As an Atheist, I oppose all attempts by Conservatives to put prayer in public schools, to place any religious icons on public property, to use religion as a means for decreasing personal rights, or using religion to justify legislation that will decrease personal rights. "It's in the bible" should not be a valid explanation to why a law should be passed.

Illegal Immigration: I support full amnesty of the millions of illegal immigrants in the United States. I also support making immigrating to the United States much easier than it is currently.

I also support significant increases in funding for ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language) programs and the reintroduction and passage of the DREAM Act.

I strongly oppose calls by so-called "nativists" for mass deportations and denying birthright citizenship.  

Sex Ed: Favor mandatory comprehensive sex education programs, including accurate and up-to-date information regarding safe sex (condoms and other contraceptives), sexually transmitted diseases like HIV-AIDS, and all other STDs.

Second Amendment: I support the right for an individual to own a firearm (I am from Maine after all), but I believe in certain restrictions on how many, which kinds and at which age you can purchase weapons. I also oppose allowing people to own overly-powerful or fast-firing weapons, as well as allowing convicted felons and people with known mental illnesses to own firearms.

Drug War: I strongly support the legalization of marijuana and other "soft" outlawed substances. Other decidedly harmful drugs, such as crack cocaine, heroin and ecstasy should remain illegal.

Economic issues

Education: Favor a major expansion in after-school tutoring programs as well as universal pre-school education; smaller class sizes; and changing the system by which teachers are hired, paid, and promoted from one based on seniority to merit-based pay (with test scores emphasis on the NAEP).

Tax Code: Oppose extending Bush's 2001 and 2003 tax cuts. Support ending "corporate welfare". Would love "Eisenhower era" taxes, but "Clinton era" is good too.

Entitlement programs: I support a single-payer healthcare system for all Americans, similar to NHS in Britain.

In Social Security, I oppose raising the retirement age to seventy, raising the payroll tax as well as eliminating the cap, while raising the estate tax.

I strongly oppose putting payroll taxes into private retirement accounts subject to the whims of the free market.

Minimum Wage: Support raising it and strongly oppose any attempts to lower it, or eliminate it.

Free Trade: Strongly oppose free trade and support replacing it with fair trade.

Environmental Issues and Energy: I oppose nuclear fusion as an energy technology. I support research into hydrogen fuel-cell technologies, as well as increasing investments into alternative renewable energy sources like wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass among others; promoting energy efficiency in government as well as in private industry; tax credits for hybrid vehicles; increasing the fuel economy standards for newer vehicles; fully eliminating taxpayer subsidies for the fossil fuel and ethanol industries; implementing a carbon tax to further spur these changes in energy usage.

Transportation: The federal government should also create a national transportation infrastructure for the 21st century comparable in scope to President Eisenhower's Interstate Highway System, beginning with increasing investments into mass transit programs in urban areas so as to concentrate population growth in those areas. I also support a high-speed rail system throughout the country, similar to that in European nations.

Foreign Policy

Support reshaping our military to better handle the twin challenges of counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency, including an expansion of the Special Forces.  Also support missile defense to guard against rogue regimes threatening our allies. I oppose increasing funding to the State Department and USAID. I support opening up diplomatic relations with Cuba. I support small military operations in nations with tyrannical dictators in order to depose them, but oppose large, many-year wars with nations just because they look at us funny.

Democracy-Related Issues

Election Reform: I support replacing the current electoral college vote system to one more similar to those systems used in Maine and Nebraska, so as each congressional district, whose political views may be completely different than the rest of the state, will also have their voice heard in a presidential election.

District of Columbia: I support full statehood for the District of Columbia as the state of Columbia.  

Puerto Rico: I support full statehood for Territory of Puerto Rico as the State of Puerto Rico.

Thanks to the Atlasian Frodo (https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=1371) whose post in this topic provided the template for my post.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies