Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:33:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 558192 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: July 27, 2005, 06:42:39 PM »

I am a center-right Republican conservative.

On social issues, I think that the greatest threat to our social cohesion, and ultimately our economic vitality, is the breakdown of the family structure.  For this reason, I cannot in good conscience be a social liberal and give my approval, in the name of freedom, rights, or what have you, to the type of behavior that is contributing to this problem.  I believe that illegitimacy is our number one social threat, and that we need to oppose the idea that it is our right to indulge ourselves in any way we please, even if it hurts other people, particularly innocent children.  This is the end result of social liberalism, like it or not.

Economically, I am center-right.  I believe in progressive taxation to a point, but I don't think we should punish creation of wealth.  This hurts the poor more than it hurts the well-off. 

I believe it is in our self-interest to help the poor, and those who have not had a strong chance to become successful for whatever reason, in a constructive way.  I believe that many of the programs offered in this regard by liberals have been highly destructive, and that they should be judged by their results, not their intentions.

With respect to education, I believe that government should provide an escape hatch to those trapped in failing schools.  It is unrealistic to think that we can appreciably improve schools that serve communities with no parental support or family structure, and those who wish to receive an education should not be consigned to the toxic environment in schools located in such communities.

I believe that government interference in private lives should be minimal, and that the government's primary job should be maintaining security from both foreign and domestic enemies.  Therefore, I am tough on crime and a hawk on foreign policy.  I support capital punishment for murderers.

I am much more a realist than an idealist.  Policies should be judged by results, not intentions.  I believe that many things are counter-intuitive, and that ultimately cruelty is often dressed as kindness, and vice versa.  Sometime, policies described by liberals as tough and heartless are the kindest thing of all, just as soft liberal policies that are meant to be kind have sometimes resulted in unspeakable cruelty in practice.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:20:59 PM »

That's why I was surprised when you said you would vote not to confirm me as a judge.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 07:02:04 AM »

My attitude and personality is a bit more lewd/abrasive than my actions -- unless you get some alcohol in me.

Over time and up to this point, I'd say I subscribe to a generally capitalist economic philosophy. For the most part --- I support Bush's (attempted) reformation of social security, I support low taxes, and getting rid of useless social programs and the pork that goes with them.

I also believe the debt shouldnt get too high, for even if it's impact is overblown by some liberals, it must be considered and be dealt with.

The WTO/IMF I don't have a problem with. Free trade rocks.

When you cut taxes, you should probably cut spending as well.

I have a firm belief that strict constructionalists are the best fit for the supreme court -- people like Scalia and Rehnquist. However, if a president simply appoints a qualified candidate who has a strong understanding of the law, even if i dont agree with him on everything, ill support the candidate.

People shouldn't immediately look for any possible flaw with justices -- people who do that usually live their life in the same manner, and that's a bad way to live.

_________

That said, I believe that faith-based institutions should play a much more active role with government and charities -- I believe that Christians elected to public office have a RESPONSIBILITY to use their faith, and their beliefs in order to make government more efficient.

In Education, I believe that more money is generally a good thing for public schools, but when it becomes wasted -- it only hurts the very things it tries to help. Get the feds out of education. Repeal No Child Left Behind, and give control to education back where it belongs -- to the states, and to the local governments (even though local is where most corruption occurs, IMO)

I don't like abortion, and would NEVER encourage anyone close to me to get them. I wouldn't report them to those crazy Catholic "pregnancy crisis centers" or whatever, but I'd try and dissuade them from getting one.

They shouldn't be banned, but they should be left up to the voters of the states. Most liberal states (California, New York, probably even Florida) would legalize it anyway. I don't vote for politicians based off their abortion position anyway, which is why I respect people like Paul Sarbanes AND Rick Santorum.

I agree with WalterMitty on gun control. Sensible gun control is good -- which means VERY little gun control. Only that which is necsscary.

I could care less about gay marriage, when I think about it.

Foreign policy:

I am a moderate hawk in foreign policy. Iraq should have
 been used as a stepping stone in combating terrorism in multiple Middle Eastern countries --- instead, we're going to end up with an Iraqi civil war. This is why I do not like Bush, and this is why I stay a Democrat --- for now.

I believe in sensible defense measures though --- maintain our current spending on national security. Attack other countries only when we're gravely threatened, or when we undergo a promise to fight terrorism -- of course, the Bush administration managed to mangle that quite a bit, but whatever.

I'm a moderate Democrat, and that's how I plan to stay, unless they decide to keep f'ing up the party. Then I'll switch.

You don't sound much like a Democrat to me, man.  COME TOWARD THE LIGHT......Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies